Game Comparison?

From the front lines in France and Russia to the deserts of North Africa and the airfields and convoys of Britain, the campaigns of World War II are yours to command in WW2: Time of Wrath! This turn-based grand strategy title, the highly improved and expanded sequel to WW2: Road to Victory, puts the player in charge of the political, economic and military decisions of one or more Axis or Allied nations, including minor nations.
magic8796

Game Comparison?

Post by magic8796 »

To all of you old board gamers out there: I've been reading the forum and checking the game out. The game looks pretty good. How does it compare to the old Avalon Hill game "Third Reich"? It looks similar, from what I've read. 3R was my favorite board game as a kid. I played it for hours. I've been looking for a computer game that is similar in scope and style to 3R for years. I loved that game. I blew up the map to about 6 feet wide and 4 feet high, mounted it on metal and plywood and hung it on the wall. I put magnets under all the counters and felt like a real General, moving my armies across the map. What fun! Anyway, I was just wondering if some of you have played both and how they compare. Thanks!
Magic
cpdeyoung

RE: Game Comparison?

Post by cpdeyoung »

I loved Third Reich also, and get much of the same feeling from this game.  Another cool thing here is modding, which lets you pick from various very well done maps and counter sets.  For someone who did all that work on his board game, you will enjoy the available mods.

I think you will really like this game.

Chuck
Uxbridge

Post by Uxbridge »

Fully side with Chuck on this. I played Third Reich too. It was my second wargame ever, after Squad Leader. ToW gives the old feelings back and have the full potential to crush your social life forever. It does come delivered with some rough edges, that it does, but nothing that a bit of modding and house rules can't cure. It's like a chess game, with a beautiful board and shinging pieces, standing on a slightly rickety table.

Get it!
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Did you try the "World in Flames" board game?
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
PrinceBolkonsky

Post by PrinceBolkonsky »

This game is a bit larger the 3R. About the same scale as Struggle for Europe or Empires of Apocalypse. Both worth playing if you still have the gray matter for it. I barely still manage. It's kind of a relief to play something like this that has a pit of depth without the fiddly.
Maximeba

Post by Maximeba »

In the 70's Third Reich was the KING.  Playing Third Reich was how I met my best friend Dave.  We played that game so much we wore the counters out and had to buy a new game.  FYI, Third Reich did come out with a computer version.  I stumbled acrossed the game some months ago when I was cleaning.  Not sure what I did with the game but it was an old DOS game that would only run on Windows 98 or older versions.

Wes
Allies Forever
Tomokatu

Post by Tomokatu »

Third Reich did come out with a computer version
It crashed a lot and if there was an AI, it never showed up in the version I had.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction
PrinceBolkonsky

Post by PrinceBolkonsky »

Yes, and of course the ultimate version of Third Reich now exist and the game by GMT called World at War.

Return to “WW2: Time of Wrath”