It's a disgrace

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

CrusssDaddy

RE: Marinacci's code

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Hahaha, outstanding thread! Ah, the glory days of five years ago when the Matrix guys last bothered to post. Nothing from them since then, a void that speaks volumes about their interest in the project. Yet the same, silly old daft codgers leap to their defense...
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

Hahaha, outstanding thread! Ah, the glory days of five years ago when the Matrix guys last bothered to post. Nothing from them since then, a void that speaks volumes about their interest in the project. Yet the same, silly old daft codgers leap to their defense...

No, definitely, you are NOT a Troll.
A CureZone Troll is generally a person who is extremely skeptical of the main forum subject.
He is generally interested to make other forum members look stupid. A troll will sometimes use insults to provoke other people to insult him. Then, he will complain to moderators of being insulted and will request that his opponents get banned from further discussion.

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

No, definitely, you are NOT a Troll.
A CureZone Troll is generally a person who is extremely skeptical of the main forum subject.
He is generally interested to make other forum members look stupid. A troll will sometimes use insults to provoke other people to insult him. Then, he will complain to moderators of being insulted and will request that his opponents get banned from further discussion.

http://curezone.com/forums/troll.asp
Fanbois of a computer game that doesn't even exist yet. With 24 posts in 6 yrs.,CrussDaddy is the King of Trolls![:D]
Ohio Jones

Post by Ohio Jones »

Hahaha, outstanding thread! Ah, the glory days of five years ago when the Matrix guys last bothered to post. Nothing from them since then, a void that speaks volumes about their interest in the project.

An interesting perspective. I think for these purposes Steve could be fairly considered a "Matrix guy". Wonder how many times he's posted, and when? To suggest we're not getting the straight goods regarding this development process seems at best disingenuous. At worst, well...
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill
SamuraiProgrmmr

Post by SamuraiProgrmmr »

This is INSANE!

We have a developer who has opened a view into his world. He is sharing more information (and it is better organized, btw) than ANY other other game developer that I know of.

HOW CAN YOU BITCH ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF POSTS????

OH MY GOD! If I could afford it, I would buy Matrix games just so I could ensure that YOU NEVER GET A COPY OF THIS GAME, you PhU(|<1|\|9 4$$|-|0L3

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: SamuraiProgrammer

This is INSANE!

We have a developer who has opened a view into his world. He is sharing more information (and it is better organized, btw) than ANY other other game developer that I know of.

HOW CAN YOU BITCH ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF POSTS????

OH MY GOD! If I could afford it, I would buy Matrix games just so I could ensure that YOU NEVER GET A COPY OF THIS GAME, you PhU(|<1|\|9 4$$|-|0L3

Warspite1

Samurai, I understand the sentiments but don`t sink to their level - you will be the one that gets banned -which is what they want.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
SamuraiProgrmmr

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Samurai, I understand the sentiments but don`t sink to their level - you will be the one that gets banned -which is what they want.

I know...

It is just that here we have..

1) a company developing a niche game that no one else would touch
2) a programmer willing to give us a view into the process
3) a programmer willing to LISTEN to ideas and ADAPT to the suggestions of the community
4) a group of volunteers that have donated untold hours to make this game a better experience

... all of which will make this game better than it would have been any other way

and finally

5) a few malcontents who are hell-bent on making everyone else miserable and are likely to ensure that the 4 items above NEVER EVER happen again.

Bridge is the best wargame going .. Where else can you find a tournament every weekend?
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: Ohio Jones

Hahaha, outstanding thread! Ah, the glory days of five years ago when the Matrix guys last bothered to post. Nothing from them since then, a void that speaks volumes about their interest in the project.

An interesting perspective. I think for these purposes Steve could be fairly considered a "Matrix guy". Wonder how many times he's posted, and when? To suggest we're not getting the straight goods regarding this development process seems at best disingenuous. At worst, well...

Steve is not a Matrix employee, and he is currently not (was he ever?) being paid by them. He has a contract that promises minor riches should he deliver a finished game, and Matrix has ensured that will never happen by offering zero support and zero investment; to make matters worse, Steve has pooh-poohed volunteer offers of programming support. Should a guy who does not even understand his programming software be refusing free offers of assistance? Does that question really need to be asked?

Steve seems like a really sweet guy, but he's just some dude sitting on a beach in Kihei, looking for ways to stay busy. I have never said we have not been diligently updated about CWiF. To the contrary, Steve's numerous and detailed updates make it quite plain that his and Matrix's stewardship of this project is a complete and utter waste of time.
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Don't lose you time with Crussdaddy, ignore him.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

to make matters worse, Steve has pooh-poohed volunteer offers of programming support.
(Well whatever happens just dont enlist Microsoft for development support. They can ruin a game even faster than&nbsp;Matrix). [:'(]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

If it wasn't for Steve there would not be a project. You would never get to play WIF on a computer, good or bad, sooner or later. You would be stuck playing the boardgame, probably alone with your cat. Is it taking a long time? Yes it is, for the reasons stated above. In fantasy land, we would have hired a thousand programmers and artists etc to get er done in a month. Unfortunately we do not live in fantasy land like you do and reality must be honored. Please go find something productive to do, like investigating the politicians in your area that are wasting your tax money or worse yet, stealing it. Put your negativity to work in a positive way. You need to find the source of your negativity and get rid of it. If it's your job, get a new one. If its your wife, get a new one. If its this game development process, don't read the forums and move on to another game. I hope this helps you overcome what ails you.
macgregor

Post by macgregor »

The frustrated complaints by ...hopefully many WiF players needn't be read into beyond the display of how many people are waiting to play this game and how badly they want to play it.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

I think Mac Gregor is right. We know that we will buy this game. And we had very high expectation when Matryx announce they took on the job... and we are dissapointed, but will surely buy the game when it is ready (if we are still alive, because some of us are not likely to teach the new generation with the board game).

Best regards

Skanvak
David Heath

Post by David Heath »

Hi Guys

Look Steven is running the show and I feel has more then kept everyone in the loop. If you are unhappy with how long its taken that is fine and I can understand it. The bottom line is its done when its done.

David

Greyshaft

Post by Greyshaft »

Chill out dudes... Have you checked out how long it took Michelangelo to do the Sistine Chapel?

I loooooove WiF but my personal happiness doesn't hang on whether we get this game before 2020.

If you think you can do a better job then feel free to step up to the plate and have a go.
/Greyshaft
BallyJ

Post by BallyJ »

I am 63 so 2020 is a tad far of from my point of view.
LOL[;)]
Anendrue

Post by Anendrue »

ORIGINAL: David Heath

The bottom line is its done when its done.

All I can say is Thank You David. I absolutely agree.
Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.
SamuraiProgrmmr

ORIGINAL: David Heath

Hi Guys

Look Steven is running the show and I feel has more then kept everyone in the loop. If you are unhappy with how long its taken that is fine and I can understand it. The bottom line is its done when its done.

David

Thank you! I agree.
Cheesehead

Vassal update

Post by Cheesehead »

You would never get to play WIF on a computer, good or bad, sooner or later. You would be stuck playing the boardgame, probably alone with your cat.

Hi all

Just another Vassal game report to disabuse the notion that you can't play WiF by computer until MWiF is released. I just finished a complete game with Jerome who lives 400 miles from me using Vassal and playing mostly PBEM with some online play to resolve big air and naval combats. We started our game in December of 2008 and finished the beginning of February, 2010. We played right to impulse 7, July-August, 1945. each of us had two week vacations at different times, so the full Global War scenario took us about 13 months to play. We were both playing other WiF PBEM games as well as our local games during the same time period as well.

The most amazing thing about this particular game, from my experience anyway, was how close it was right down to the last impulse. The Allies (Jerome) won in a squeeker by paradropping on Munich, making a successful assault on Leningrad and capturing Shang-hai with US and British Marines to edge me out with 2 extra victory cities, all in the final Allied impulse.

This was an excellent wargaming experience. Jerome and I are about to kick off our 7th game by Vassal this week. This last one was the only one to go the distance, but that was mostly due to me getting blown out earlier in our previous games while trying to get up to speed with my most excellent opponent. I really look forward to MWiF, as it will make PBEM even easier, but Vassal gives me the patience to wait this one out and let Steve do his thing at his own pace. I fully suspect that when all is said and done, Steve will make less then 10 cents an hour on this job.

For those of you who tried Vassal WiF a few years ago and didn't like it.... give it another look. There have been significant improvements in the platform. Everything runs better than it did a under earlier editions including speed of loading, ease of scrolling, interface, etc. Not trying Vassal WiF is like a guy refusing to buy a car in 1950 because it doesn't have power steering, anti-lock brakes and a DVD player. Vassal WiF still gets you where you want to go.

Cheers

John
You can't fight in here...this is the war room!
SLAAKMAN

RE: Vassal update

Post by SLAAKMAN »

Bravo John! (I will catch up to you guys eventually.) [:D]
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

Return to “World in Flames”