Is The Distant Worlds universe similar to Star Trek's universe?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Marshall Thomas

Is The Distant Worlds universe similar to Star Trek's universe?

Post by Marshall Thomas »

I'm looking foward to the release of DW more than I have for any title in a very long time. Every time the developers or testers answer a question, it's always exactly what I was hoping to hear!

My question is: how much will the DW universe be like the Star Trek universe? Obviously, I don't mean proper names or ship appearances or anything like that. Can you play as a "United Federation of Planets"-type, peaceful, idealistic civilization? You can't in Sins of a Solar Empire, which isn't really much like Star Trek at all (though I really like SoaSE).

I just watched the ST: The Next Generation episode where The Romulans support a pretender to the Klingon throne, with the price for their support being an end to the Klingon-Federation Alliance. The Romulans had been trying to destroy the Klingon-Federation Alliance for the last 20 years, in order to shift quandrant's balance of power in their favor. Are similar situations possible in DW? Thanks in advance

also: will there be a "cinamatic mode"? I think that all good-looking space games benefit from a "cinamatic mode."
0360-1275-8904-8300
Erik Rutins

RE: Is The Distant Worlds universe similar to Star Trek's universe?

Post by Erik Rutins »

In my experience, you can be peaceful and idealistic, though sometimes (as with the Federation) that doesn't keep you from being attacked. However, this is not a game of non-stop warfare, it's much more like reality in that sense, that if you are not trying to be a warmonger there are usually longer periods of peace interspersed with shorter and intense periods of warfare.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

Ahhh... TNG Redemption. What a magnificent double parter.

Good to hear Erik. Exactly what I'm hoping for. I'm sick and tired of constant [virtual] blood bath. I doing it exactly like 'Si vis pacem, para bellum' tells us. If I going to war, then only to wipe out enemy in one swift move.

[center]Ferengi Rule of Acquisition # 34: Peace is good for business.
or
Ferengi Rule of Acquisition # 35: War is good for business.[/center]

Take your pick [:D] And remember FRoA # 45: Expand or die. He, he...
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Cinamatic mode? The game is 2d.

Babylon5>ST: The Next Generation.
Marshall Thomas

Post by Marshall Thomas »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Cinamatic mode? The game is 2d.

Babylon5>ST: The Next Generation.
I just mean a mode where all identification labels are removed from ships and planets and a collasped UI.
0360-1275-8904-8300
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Marshall Thomas
My question is: how much will the DW universe be like the Star Trek universe? Obviously, I don't mean proper names or ship appearances or anything like that. Can you play as a "United Federation of Planets"-type, peaceful, idealistic civilization? You can't in Sins of a Solar Empire, which isn't really much like Star Trek at all (though I really like SoaSE).
As mentioned above, you can play more peacefully if you wish, although that depends a lot on who your neighbors are... :)
I just watched the ST: The Next Generation episode where The Romulans support a pretender to the Klingon throne, with the price for their support being an end to the Klingon-Federation Alliance. The Romulans had been trying to destroy the Klingon-Federation Alliance for the last 20 years, in order to shift quandrant's balance of power in their favor. Are similar situations possible in DW? Thanks in advance
You can make trades that include changing relationships with third-party empires, e.g. ask to declare war on another empire or make peace with another empire.
also: will there be a "cinamatic mode"? I think that all good-looking space games benefit from a "cinamatic mode."
You can toggle off the screen elements to have "clean screen" look.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”