Loading multiple files feature request

Empires in Arms is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. Empires in Arms is a seven player game of grand strategy set during the Napoleonic period of 1805-1815. The unit scale is corps level with full diplomatic options

Moderator: MOD_EIA

Ted1066

Loading multiple files feature request

Post by Ted1066 »

Hey Marshall,

If this has been brought up before, apologies, but it would be freakin fantastic if the game engine could check the commin folder for sequential PBEM phase files and load all in sequence in one go. I.e. Hitting the next turn button grabs the next turn file, then the engine automatically checks the folder for the next, etc., until either (no other turn files || player's turn is up). This would greatly speed up things for the phasing player as he can grab all the intervening files, drop them in the commin folder, hit the advance button once and then proceed with performing his turn.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Ted
NeverMan

RE: Loading multiple files feature request

Post by NeverMan »

This has been talked about but I'm not sure your "method" has been suggested before.

It seems to me that this would be pretty easy to do. Just add a button for "load to next turn" (or some such whatever) and then it loads until it can't find the next file.

The "load next turn" button would still need to exist for those that like to look at each turn, one by one.
DCWhitworth

Post by DCWhitworth »

I'm still uncertain why this feature would be much use. I don't find it especially onerous to click through a few files, not when compared with the other things I'd rather Marshall be putting his efforts into. It would save you barely more than a few seconds and then there's also the issue of wanting to stop and look at things along the way. When hosting a game there have been many occasions whenn I've wanted ot load files to a specific point but no further.
Regards
David
Marshall Ellis

Post by Marshall Ellis »

This has been talked about before but I thought that most wanted to see turns as they were loaded??? I'm kind of doing this for Diplomacy and Eco in 1.08 since they are simultaneous now. This is not very important to see since there really is nothing to see when these turns are loaded.

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: DCWhitworth

I'm still uncertain why this feature would be much use. I don't find it especially onerous to click through a few files, not when compared with the other things I'd rather Marshall be putting his efforts into. It would save you barely more than a few seconds and then there's also the issue of wanting to stop and look at things along the way. When hosting a game there have been many occasions whenn I've wanted ot load files to a specific point but no further.

The real problem is having to download possibly a ton of files, but that is for another post.

I agree that this won't save much time, but I can't see this taking more than a few lines of code and possibly 30 minutes to write.

1. Add a button.
2. Check for files, one after the other until a file is not found (the program already knows the names of the files so there is really no hard coding involved here).

Just saying.
Ted1066

Post by Ted1066 »

For me, its more the annoyance factor. The game could easily know multiple files are present in the commin folder, rather than having the user click the button, press return and repeat until all files are consumed. I tend to not touch the game until its my turn, at which point I have to load all the intervening files. So its 'click advance-press return" multiple times until its my turn. And I agree with Neverman: coding this up would be a pretty simple if-then routine addition to the current process.

Ted
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

ORIGINAL: NeverMan
The real problem is having to download possibly a ton of files, but that is for another post.

I agree that this won't save much time, but I can't see this taking more than a few lines of code and possibly 30 minutes to write.

1. Add a button.
2. Check for files, one after the other until a file is not found (the program already knows the names of the files so there is really no hard coding involved here).

Just saying.
I would make it a bit more complicated:

1. Add a checkbox to the current process. Title: Apply all turn files at once?
2. If checked, check for files ... (as per your #2)

This would allow those who wanted to see all the turns able to see them, and others could ignore them.

In fact, I would probably do both at different times in the game and playing different powers. I can imagine many Spains never checking unless they were at war. Similarly, many Great Britains and Frances would probably check every turn, even while at peace.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

Jimmer,

Ok, check box, extra button, not sure what the difference is but ok.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Realistically, very little. But, the check box requires the code to perform a decision, which typically adds to debug time. When it's only ONE decision, it's not likely to be a problem. But, it is, as I said, "a bit more complicated".

However, having a check box (or, other decision-making construct) does allow for freedom among players, which was one of the bigger objections. So, it seems like a good addition to me.
At LAST! The greatest campaign board game of all time is finally available for the PC. Can my old heart stand the strain?
NeverMan

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: Jimmer

Realistically, very little. But, the check box requires the code to perform a decision, which typically adds to debug time. When it's only ONE decision, it's not likely to be a problem. But, it is, as I said, "a bit more complicated".

However, having a check box (or, other decision-making construct) does allow for freedom among players, which was one of the bigger objections. So, it seems like a good addition to me.

The only thing I would say is that a checkbox will probably takes more clicks for the end user than a button at the top next to the original button.
Jimmer

Post by Jimmer »

Correct: Two clicks versus one. The same thing could be done by having two buttons as well.

Return to “Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815”