Other strategy games

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Paerhc

Other strategy games

Post by Paerhc »

Hi, I would like to know if there is another good strategy game that I can play on my own for PC, while I am waiting for the grand game to be released? No abbreviations please.
Paerhc
micheljq

RE: Other strategy games

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: Paerhc

Hi, I would like to know if there is another good strategy game that I can play on my own for PC, while I am waiting for the grand game to be released? No abbreviations please.

There is "WW2 Time of Wrath" for the European theather, it is interesting and the AI is, let's say, correct, playable in PBEM. It's only 19.99$ holiday sale download.

For the Pacific theater, I know "Uncommon Valor", for carrier battles, it's great. I did buy "War in the Pacific" but the complexity/micromanagement to perform discourages me.

Also "Korsun Pocket", involving a campaign in USSR, i think timeframe is 1944. A lot of complexity and a great game.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Oups double post, deleted.
Michel Desjardins,
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
bo

Post by bo »

Paerch try this and its free, go to forum re:advanced 3rd Reich/ world at war just below your post and go to post 76 by Welk and download the 3rd Reich game from the place he tells you in the post, I had not played it in years and I am enjoying again thanks to Welk, Ai not great but it will do in a pinch ENJOY!

Bo
winky51

Post by winky51 »

Strategic Command 2 from www.battlefront.com

Id say right now this is the best WW2 grand strategy out there. Their editor is 2nd to none. I made my own WIF scale scenarios with AI.
Paerhc

Post by Paerhc »

Thanks for your tips! :)
Paerhc
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I might have a slight bias here but check out Commander Europe at War with the free Grand Strategy Expansion.

See: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13886
Ronnie
koontz

Post by koontz »

I really like Hoi2 armagedon with some mods, many many hours spent both in sp and mp.
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."
bo

Post by bo »

Hi Paerch, I just preordered Stratigic Command Global from another company, if you want to know the companies name e-mail me and I will send it to you, and how and where to see its screen shots. It is looking to be out in 3 or 4 weeks, it is a monster game but semi easy to play not always easy to win. I have the other 3 games on my computer and enjoy them all.

Bo

bowenw1@verizon.net
HansHafen

Post by HansHafen »

Panzer General by SSI baby! Still Blitzing since 1994.
Josh

Post by Josh »

Panzer General sure is rocking after all these years, amazing really. It even looks sharp on a modern screen, probably twice as big as I used to play it on. Can't see myself getting addicted to it as I used to be, there are *better* games out there... not *that* many though.
hdosbe

Post by hdosbe »

Sorry for my bad english; do you know Hearts of Iron III by Paradox, I'm playing from the last 2 weeks and I seem that's a good play.
ciao
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Our preferred over the last years was Company of Heroes and the extension Opposing fronts, but it is more at a tactical level, real time RTS. Our group played plenty of skirmirshes online from 2006 to 2009.

Lately an unofficial mod for the eastern front was released, not tried yet. [:)]

As for Hearts of Iron, I have the first & second version with Armageddon, it's no use, I tried but cannot find a way to like the game. Too much popup trade windows, feeling of combat is not there, no control of what is going on the field, it's like I feel far far away from the battlefield, it's boring. [:(]
Michel Desjardins,
ItBurns

Post by ItBurns »

I'm with you on HOI. Can't help but feel that strategic level games at the division level would be much better as turn based games. IMHO there's no reason for real time when you're talking about the passage of hours and days. As it is if I turn up the passage of time so I can get to ground attacks faster I'm spammed with messages and have to pause to respond losing the effect of the greater speed.
No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; and no ascetic can be considered reliably sane.
winky51

Post by winky51 »

OMG yes. If HOI was turn based I would looooove it. But real time trying to do the world is just rediculous. Games with too much detail that doesnt do a lot of things automatically are simply unplayable except for those who have all the time in the world and are dedicated. When I bought War in the Pacific from Matrix I played 1 day and never looked at it again. Too much detail, weak user interface, and took way too long. I really dont care if Capt. Miller parachuted out from his plane, was captured by the Japanese, and tortured to death revealing no information.

Someone at battlefront is making a 512x256 map for Global Scenario and I told him it was simply too large and unmanagable. WIF scale is perfect. 50m per hex euro, 100m per hex pacific with off map boxes for unimportant areas. Of course you have the option of having maps for them with the board game.
Obsolete

Post by Obsolete »

The whole RTS thing is also what put me off from HoI many, many moons ago when it was first announced.

Though, the constant mentioning of bugs in reviews is what also caused me to shun away.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.
Blorsh

Post by Blorsh »

I like very much HOI series and the real time system is ideal for me, I can take strategical decisions and the units are moving simultaneosly like real life.
ItBurns

Post by ItBurns »

ORIGINAL: Blorsh

I like very much HOI series and the real time system is ideal for me, I can take strategical decisions and the units are moving simultaneosly like real life.

I guess this is a matter of taste. To me a game that simulates a large passing of time isn't very realistic in a real time system. In real life people had hours and days to react on the strategic level so all the pop up notices would be reports that occured over the course of a real time day.
No sane man can afford to dispense with debilitating pleasures; and no ascetic can be considered reliably sane.
winky51

Post by winky51 »

If the makers of HOI were smart they would have incorporated a turn based system in their game also. Something that goes by 1 week then stops the game or 2 weeks or whatever.
csharpmao

Post by csharpmao »

You can also try conquerclub, it's a multiplayer risk like game, with actually 148 different maps.
You can play freely 4 games simultaneously. Ok,it's not big strategy, but I think it's worth the try.

Return to “World in Flames”