Wide screen LCD problems

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

madgamer2

Wide screen LCD problems

Post by madgamer2 »

I posted some information on this problem got not responce so did a little looking on my own. An aspect ratio of 9:6 is necessary I think to make it work at its best. The best way to solve the problem is to own a wide screen LCD that has an HDMI connector on it. If yours does not then read no farther. If the LCD is connected with HDMI you should have no problems. HDMI brings HD quality to the PC monitor and games look awesome. There are two ways you can connect the HDMI
1. Buy a cable from someplace like Newegg that has a standard video connector on one end and an HDMI on the other.

2. Use a standard HDMI cable with both ends having that connector. You buy a combo HDMI/Video card connector. It will have an HDMI one side and the video card connector on the other.

When the computer boots a box should should appear (upper right corner mostly) that says HDMI Mode or some such.

I use this on my LG23" LCD with no problems except once in awhile the monitor does not boot up and you get a message about being in power saving mode or just a black screen. The so lutions I found that work are"

11. WITHOUT turning of the computer hit the reset button and after a few seconds the screen for you Mobo will appear and windows will boot.

2.Make sure your sound card is on and the monitor is OFF and wait till you hear the little zip sound that tells you sound is enabled. Wait a few more seconds then turn on the monitor.

It may be just my custom system but if I turn on the computer then the monitor I have to use solution 1 above. I do not know if its because I run in HDMI that all the games I have run in wide screen with no problems.

I also do not know if a patch can be added to the game to allow wide screen to be used. I can tell you that once you see the HDMI picture you will not want any thing else. I don't know why some players report no wide screen problems and not using HDMI and some have very serious video picture problems because I am not a tech.

If your thinking about a new monitor a wide screen LCD with HDMI is the only real choice. I hope this helps some of you. I think some of the old DOS CD games that run under XP Pro may not use the whols screen. I have HPS game that will use almost all the screen in 800 x 600 which on HDMI looks good. With this game you can play at a highter resolution but a smaller screen. I also don't seem to suffer any problems in running games out of the native resolution either.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
wdolson

RE: Wide screen LCD problems

Post by wdolson »

If you run the game in windowed mode you get the correct aspect ratio.

There are also some changes for this that should be in the next patch.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
madgamer2

Post by madgamer2 »

This is very true but not being a tech person I don't understand why some can run in regular mode and some will require a patch and some like myself runing HDMI mode and have no problems at all.HDMI apparently like its partner HDTV uses the highest mode (6:9). I guess all monitors are not created the same.

Madgamer
If your not part of the solution
You are part of the problem
goodboyladdie

Post by goodboyladdie »

I just had to change monitors and all they had in the shop were wide screens. When I am next lucky enough to receive a pbem turn, can I expect problems?

Art by the amazing Dixie
fflaguna

Post by fflaguna »

You shouldn't have problems. And also, your video display driver might let you change full-screen aspect ratio, like mine. I had to change it in the "NVIDIA Control Panel" that I access by right-clicking on my desktop. This gives me full-screen WitP:AE on my wide-screen monitor, yet the program is displaying 4:3 ratio. This means it is letterboxed (black, empty space) on the left and right sides. :)
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

I just had to change monitors and all they had in the shop were wide screens. When I am next lucky enough to receive a pbem turn, can I expect problems?

I've got the game installed on three machines,

A 4:3 home desktop with an ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
a 9.6 home laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce 86000M GS both running under Vista
a 9.6 work laptop with an ATI mobility Radeon HD3470 originally running under Vista now Windows 7.

All worked fine under Vista, th 9:6 giving me a widescreen picture that does create some distortion but now I've got used it it and have no problems.

Changing to Window 7 on my work laptop did cause a problem in that I got a 4:3 image centred on the screen with black strips either side and it annoyed me. I went into the ATI Catalyst Control Centre and changed the scalling options to 'full screen'. It was originally set to preserve aspect ratio.

I've just realized that it wasn't Windows 7 causing the problem. Windows 7 was an upgrade and to do so I had to uninstall the ATI CCC. So when I reinstalled it I forgot to change the scaling options.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”