Bridge-building Bug??

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

TJD

Bridge-building Bug??

Post by TJD »

Jason: there seems to be a bug with bridge building. If you use regular engineers to first build a light bridge, and then use a specialized bridging enginner to construct a second, vehicular bridge over it in the same hex, the program will not recognize the second bridge. It will persist in thinking only a foot bridge is in place and vehicles will not be able to cross.[&:]

I encountered this bug when testing Bart Gauvin's 3rd Pz LCG and then tested it in the Bridge Building bootcamp scenario you designed. I ran through it twice, building first a foot bridge and then a vehicle bridge in the same hex. Same result both times. I can send you the file.

Tim

Jason Petho

RE: Bridge-building Bug??

Post by Jason Petho »

ORIGINAL: TJD

Jason: there seems to be a bug with bridge building. If you use regular engineers to first build a light bridge, and then use a specialized bridging enginner to construct a second, vehicular bridge over it in the same hex, the program will not recognize the second bridge. It will persist in thinking only a foot bridge is in place and vehicles will not be able to cross.[&:]

I encountered this bug when testing Bart Gauvin's 3rd Pz LCG and then tested it in the Bridge Building bootcamp scenario you designed. I ran through it twice, building first a foot bridge and then a vehicle bridge in the same hex. Same result both times. I can send you the file.

Tim

It isn't necessary to build a light bridge first, so building a medium bridge on top of a light bridge doesn't gain any advantages.

You can build a medium bridge using your bridging engineers over an empty hexside.

Jason Petho

TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

It isn't necessary to build a light bridge first, so building a medium bridge on top of a light bridge doesn't gain any advantages.

You can build a medium bridge using your bridging engineers over an empty hexside.

Jason Petho

I'm perfectly aware that it isn't necessary to build the light bridge first. But sometimes you want to get your infantry over the river first, and the hex used may be a very good one later on for vehicles as well.

It's a bug and it should be fixed. The larger bridge should be recognized by the program.

Tim
Jason Petho

Post by Jason Petho »

It should at least give you a warning you cannot do it or not allow you to.

Jason Petho
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

It should at least give you a warning you cannot do it or not allow you to.

Jason Petho

I'm not sure I understand. An alert of some kind would have been welcome but it's hard to see why the program should regard "double-bridging" as impossible (and it clearly doesn't). In reality I think it was often the case that larger bridges were later constructed where smaller ones had first been laid. And given the scale of the game it's certainly within bounds. I mean, it's quite easy to imagine a situation where for terrain and tactical reasons it's desirable to put down first a quick footbridge and then a vehicle bridge in the same hex. Good bridging spots are not always plentiful. I did this very thing on 4 separate spots over the Bug, only to find I couldn't get the tanks over.

But you raise another good point, that it would be nice if the program gave better feedback on all specialized engineering functions, whether bridge-building or demolitions. An info box would be really appreciated. I would definitely put that on the wish-list.

Tim

Return to “John Tiller's Campaign Series”