What Just Happened?

From the front lines in France and Russia to the deserts of North Africa and the airfields and convoys of Britain, the campaigns of World War II are yours to command in WW2: Time of Wrath! This turn-based grand strategy title, the highly improved and expanded sequel to WW2: Road to Victory, puts the player in charge of the political, economic and military decisions of one or more Axis or Allied nations, including minor nations.
RandomAttack

RE: What Just Happened?

Post by RandomAttack »

Chuck,
Any insight on how long the effectiveness hit lasts?  I browsed through the event files but it just made me more confused...[X(]
jimh009

Post by jimh009 »

I think the ineffectiveness for the USSR lasts 8 weeks, give or take a week or two.  After that, you're units will bump up to whatever strength they were before the invasion began.

BTW...this also happens even if the Axis doesn't declare war first on the USSR. In my last game, I had the USSR declare war on Romania...which then joined the Axis...leading to war between Germany and the USSR in May of 1940. Immediately all USSR units lost their effectiveness. But, it didn't matter...as Russians poured across the Polish/Romanian border anyways (the Germans were still stuck fighting in France). Even at low strength, those Russian units can make a real pest of themselves...encircling Axis units and cutting off their supply.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Jim,

I think it lasts a good bit longer, but you often get the increase from warfare doctrine 0 to warfare doctrine 1 right about that time and that makes a difference. I think the loss of effectivness is geographic too. So the units in the Axis minor allies seem stronger. Some reinforcements come on at L3 also so they look very good in comparison. As you say the weaker Soviet units can stand some wear too, especially if you leave breathing room for them to retreat. All in all, the way it is programmed now makes for an exciting game, and I well remember how we tried to give the Germans a chance in RtV. We played some PBEMs with the Germans and British set at 150%, and the Germans won each game. This new twist has the advantage of excitement, read that as panic!

All this is just impressions from play, not from research.

Chuck
RandomAttack

Post by RandomAttack »

At the risk of totally screwing up the interpretation of the script, I was browsing the USSR event file and (towards the bottom) found a section that reduces unit effectiveness by 33% when Germany declares war.  It seems to be tied to a counter that I interpret to mean a maximum of 10 turns.  Not sure if it is always 10 turns or if it is variable.

HOWEVER, there is also a link to the "events_77_dummy" event file that ALSO implements a 30% reduction thru 1941, then 20% through 1942, and 10% through 1943.  This appears to not be  variable.

It looks to me like this is cumulative.&nbsp; So if Germans attack in 1942, USSR takes a 20% hit for all that year,&nbsp;PLUS the 33% hit for </= first 10 turns after attack.&nbsp; So a "6" would be&nbsp;about "3.2" for up to10 turns, then&nbsp;around "4.8" for the rest of 1942.&nbsp;
&nbsp;
Multiply this by 23,660,234, and you get the distance to the Sun in furlongs...&nbsp;[X(]&nbsp;&nbsp; Coincidence? I think not! [:'(]
&nbsp;
Can a developer confirm?&nbsp;
&nbsp;
doomtrader

Post by doomtrader »

Except the sun part [;)]
rahamundo

Post by rahamundo »

Well...after getting over the shock of my reduced forces I got back into the game (I am enjoying this game) and on with my defense of Mother Russia.....ten turns later, turn 85, June 1st, 1941, I had a sudden and unexpected spike upward in strength for many of my on board units. It wasn't announced, it just happened. I'm not complaining. It came at a good time. My northern defense is in shambles as I am scrambling to piece together a defense around Riga. Kauna, Hrodna and Lviv are about to fall. The Germany machine rolls on. Can I hang on until General Winter arrives?
Ray
Anraz

Post by Anraz »

Maybe Siberian reinforcements (lots of events about those), the real ones moved from Far East and Zabykal District, will help you...
rahamundo

Post by rahamundo »

ORIGINAL: Anraz

Maybe Siberian reinforcements (lots of events about those), the real ones moved from Far East and Zabykal District, will help you...

Anraz....perhaps but I did get Siberian reinforcements as actual on board units place on the far east side of the map.
Five in total, a 3 armor rated 0.7-6, very weak. And 2 infantry, 0.2-3 and 0.3-2, also very weak units. They came in two turns before this turn 85 spike but did not get a boost on turn 85 like other units did.
Ray
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

In my AAR I saw a distinct bump up too, and it is about 15 turns past Barbarossa start I think. Stalin commented it would be a bad 1942 for the Germans.

Chuck
rahamundo

Post by rahamundo »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

In my AAR I saw a distinct bump up too, and it is about 15 turns past Barbarossa start I think. Stalin commented it would be a bad 1942 for the Germans.

Chuck

I located and read your AAR as Russia. Well done and very interesting, thanks. I had considered invading Turkey rather than Finland but didn't.....having read your AAR I wish I had. I never conquered Finland entirely though I did take all the more southern cities and those along the Baltic.....by the time I was to finish (pun intended) them off, the Germans invaded and all hell broke loose. Your AAR showed me that I need to better use airborne and seaborne troops much better than I have.
Ray
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

The Turkish campaign is a slog, and the Persian not much better. They do get your production humming along, and give the troops experience. In the first USSR only game I played, no AAR, I attacked Greece and the British declared war on me. They regretted this move as the Red Army pushed them out of North Africa, and the Red Fleets sailed around the Cape and into the Atlantic. If you can stand 70-80 turns of pushing a hex at a time this can be a fun, different, campaign.

Finland just seems too tough for me, but the Baltic states are fun for the Soviets.

Chuck
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

Chuck,
&nbsp;
The Finland campaign is to me no worse really than the Turkish one.&nbsp; You have to use groups of paratroopers once you take Helsinki, these paratroopers connect Murmansk to your main grid then you conquor Petsamo from there and your done.&nbsp; Its alot of time.
&nbsp;
Although the Turkish campaign allows you to do a Persian one also, as well as end up in European Turkey with some units to threaten the Axis belly.&nbsp; Considering how weak Finland is, its not like you really need to remove it as a threat, and unless you plan on attacking Sweden/Norway there isn't much for your troops to do other than Strat move back once Finland is taken, so I rather like going for Turkey also!
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

I think the opportunity to attack Great Britain through the Middle East is a big plus also. The Western Allies do not do much for the USSR anyway, and they have to keep on fighting the Axis too, so perhaps getting into a war with them early is Ok.

Chuck
PDiFolco

Post by PDiFolco »

ORIGINAL: Mike Parker

Chuck,

The Finland campaign is to me no worse really than the Turkish one.  You have to use groups of paratroopers once you take Helsinki, these paratroopers connect Murmansk to your main grid then you conquor Petsamo from there and your done.  Its alot of time.

Although the Turkish campaign allows you to do a Persian one also, as well as end up in European Turkey with some units to threaten the Axis belly.  Considering how weak Finland is, its not like you really need to remove it as a threat, and unless you plan on attacking Sweden/Norway there isn't much for your troops to do other than Strat move back once Finland is taken, so I rather like going for Turkey also!

Paratroops at Murmansk ? [X(] Gasp, it's going out of control, noone ever jumped there without freezing before hitting the ground !!! [:D]
PDF
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

Not to mention trying to get a concrete Mulberry there!

Chuck
rahamundo

Post by rahamundo »

Holy crap.....things were going so well on the northern and central fronts, a kind of standoff with the Germans was in place with them probing for weaknesses in my lines but making little real progress. There had yet to be any southern move by the Germans so I was lulled into taking the offensive driving into Romania and beseiging and taking the city of Kishinev. Then a window popped up that Yugoslavia had surrendered to the Germans. Two turns later and a horde, and I mean horde, of Germans and their allies have come up through Romania to attack my southern flank. It's now turn 95, August 16th, 1941 and the proverbial shi.... is hitting the fan. So far I've played a stand-and-fight it out strategy....is it time to start a withdrawal luring the Germans in? Decisions...Decisions.....in spite of some rough around the edges issues this is a fun game.
Ray
SlickWilhelm

Post by SlickWilhelm »

Getting back to rahamundo's original issue.....when playing Russia, is it still wise to upgrade units while waiting for Germany to attack(as he did), or should one save those PP's, or use them to purchase more units?&nbsp;
Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Marshall Thomas

Post by Marshall Thomas »

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Chuck
I'd like to read your AAR as The Soviets. What's it's title and where can I find it? Thanks in advance
0360-1275-8904-8300
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

tm.asp?m=2185424

New light on the Great Patriotic War.

Chuck

Return to “WW2: Time of Wrath”