Hunting the Hibiki: Q-Ball (Allies) v Cuttlefish (Japan)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

crsutton

RE: Burma Question

Post by crsutton »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball
ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Q-Ball, what's your OOB for the PM invasion?

Edit: And what do you think Cuttlefish has there?

DAN: In WITP, speed was king when looking at fighters, and actually was about all that mattered. Certainly we have to get used to the change in AE that makes maneuver ratings more important. The Corsair isn't particularly maneuverable except at very high altitudes; it is VERY fast. One bonus anyway, I noticed the range is very nice on them, that will help in the DEI, and extend my effective ship killing range to 7 hexes (for SBDs), or even 8 hexes (for RAAF Beauforts). I have noticed that P-38s aren't as dominant as in WITP either, and they are similar planes: They rely on speed and durability, but aren't very maneuverable.

I'm OK with this change in AE; in WITP, the Oscar was ridiculously useless, and I'm glad that's changed. It's at least competitive in AE, as it was IRL.

BTW, I am training 4 Squadrons of RAAF Beauforts pilots for "NavT". I am hoarding those planes and pilots to hopefully spring a nasty surprise at some point. That being said, they'll probably all get shot down instantly against KB, but I can dream, can't I?

Yes, it is differnt in AE but I suspect that it will work out. The early allied fighters are probably not as good as they should be in the air but they have so many other benefits that once they come into the campaign in some numbers, I suspect they will still overwhelm the Japanese planes. The advantages that they have, firepower, durability and most important the ability to carry an amazing amount of bombs. (p47-carries as much as most Japanese bombers) will really tell. One real change that I see is the service rating. This is going to be a key factor in AE. We allied players moan about the 3 service rating that the p38 carries and the limitations that this imposes.

However, take a look at the late war Japanese fighters. With one or two exceptions, they almost all carry a service rating of 3 or more. This is going to be an incredible handicap. The Japanese player is going to be torn between the decisions about what planes to produce and is going to have to fight at a disadvantage either either way. The frank fighter is a perfect example. On paper, it is an excellent fighter and in air combat will be a match for just about any allied fighter. However, with a service rating of 3 a frank fighter unit is going to be able to put up one or two good fights and then have to face swarms of bombers and fighter bombers that will knock them out while they are damaged on the ground. Just like in the real war, I suspect that a good proportion of Japanese planes will be destroyed on the ground.

One key change in AE that will have a dramatic effect is that fighters on a bombing mission will now fight back when attacked. This is going to be a big deal for the Allies when they are putting hundreds of fighter bombers into a fight.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I thought that 4EB's had tough service ratings until I found this service rating for an Allied plane:

Attachments
Service Rating.jpg
Service Rating.jpg (1.54 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

crsutton: That's a real good point about the Frank. You're probably right; the Japanese will really struggle with that, particulary since the Empire doesn't have as many base troops as the Allies. Lack of aviation support is a problem.

I don't know where that 5 service rating came from, but I think some of the Jets have that!

Combat Report, Dec 3-6, 1942

Wasp Repair: Wasp is still stuck at Albany; float has gone down 1 point in several days, to 74. I don't dare move her, because subs are about, and she migth founder anyway, but she also isn't repairing. This is really becoming a problem. I hope she pumps out enough to get her to Perth, where she can do more emergency repairs before heading to Capetown. But this is looking more and more like a 6 month+ repair. Ouch! F-ing subs!

To add insult to injury, IJN subs also got a TK off Exmouth, 3 xAKLs off Koepang, and an APD off Pago Pago, all in 4 days. I have kind of ignored aircraft ASW, but I am now training all the Kingfisher units on it.

Kido Butai is up to something: I have been concerned about the vulnerability of my supply lines around the Northwest tip of Australia, and also of Port Hedland in general; a sneak attack on Port Hedland is very possible. For this reason, I set-up a line of picket ships, old Dutch PCs and a couple AKs, to screen Australia.

Sure enough, xAK Montgomery City reported being shadowed by a Japanese Dive Bomber, about 22 hexes Northwest of Port Hedland, and almost due north of Exmounth, on a Southeast heading. No doubt they are looking to raid my supply lines.

There is a good chance that Cuttlefish turns back now I have spotted him, but just in case he doesn't, I have taken the following precautions:

1. All warships have left Port Hedland toward the East
2. There are 140 fighters there, set to 80% CAP
3. For good measure, 70 DBs are set to Nav attack

This reminds me again that Port Hedland is not entirely secure. This is a reason I want to land at Ambon; if I clear Ambon and the Vogelkopf, the Darwin will be a safe harbor. Until then, I have to be on the lookout always.

Tanna: Troops are loaded, and heading to rendevous point off Suva. After that, about 2-3 days sail until landing.

Secret Base: I don't know if Cuttlefish has noticed, but I evacuated some Dutch troops to Cocos Is a long time ago. They have sat there, but I am going to activate this base, and maybe send a Marine Def. Bn. It is a handy search platform, and can watch the passage between Sumatra and Java, where KB probably slipped through after I saw it off Batavia on the 2nd.

My advice to anyone: Don't underestimate the importance of search platforms. You need to clear them, even if they can't be used offensively. Norfolk Island is a good example; during the Noumea campaign, I always had a handle on KB's whereabouts, because of the small base I had at Norfolk. A Nav Gd unit could have easily taken it out at any time. That is an oversight I think on CFs part, and Cocos is another one that I am not really committed to defending, but as long as I have it, I will use it for search.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Send a couple of ARs to Albany to assist CV Wasp repair (just make sure they have heavy ASW ships with them). I think Don B. wrote somewhere recently that Naval Support doesn't help with repairs in Shipyards, but does with pier side repairs. 
[center]Image[/center]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Hey Q-Ball, what's the status and whereabouts of your carriers. We know Enterprise and Wasp are off for a time. What about the rest. This ole' brain can't remember....
Created by the amazing Dixie
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Hey Q-Ball, what's the status and whereabouts of your carriers. We know Enterprise and Wasp are off for a time. What about the rest. This ole' brain can't remember....

nygiants: Thanks, looking at exactly that. If I had a Naval HQ in Australia, I would also send it there. Wasp is not going to sink at Albany, but is "stuck"

Mike: Status? Enterprise was back with the fleet in August, after 7 months out of action. WASP is the only damaged CV. Long Island is sunk. Other than that, everyone is good.

The Fleet CVs are all off Northern Australia still. I am going to use them to support the landing on Ambon, and maybe Kendari; once those are done, I will probably send them back to upgrade, and re-size the airgroups. I still intend to be very cautious with them, as KB is stronger, until the huge pack of CVs I get in July.

3 CVEs are supporting the landing on Tanna; I removed the SBD and TBF units, so they just have fighters that will provide LRCAP. All I really need to do it to fend off Bettys; won't see any CVs down there. I get another 3 CVEs in a few days.

Combat Report, Dec 7, 1942

Kido Butai: Poor Montgomery City; the full weight of KB crushed my picket ship off Exmouth. C'est la guerre, that's what she was there for. Any volunteers to take her place?

I have cleared or docked any targets for KB. Port Hedland is full of ships and a strike there would be bloody for both of us; I also have about 150 fighters there. If he does that and expends 100 aircraft or so, I will move to attack with my CVs, which are lurking further east off Broome. He probably won't though, Cuttlefish is too smart to impale himself like that.

After this expedition, he will probably come up with a Plan B to do something to blunt my expansion in the DEI. Plan B is probably contesting a landing. Although we haven't had a great naval battle YET in this game, I think one is around the corner.

Tanna: About 4 days from D-Day, and about 2 from revealing itself. One thing for sure: I won't see KB! I still get the feeling I am wasting my time over there. On the flip side, I am NOT prepping anything in the SW Pac past Luganville, Noumea, Tanna, and in fact I am sending more troops to Australia.
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Brad - Don't you have some USN BFs available?? They have about 100 Naval Support. There is also the USN Port Service Detachments (30 Naval Support). 
[center]Image[/center]
princep01

Post by princep01 »

Wasp to Capetown? Hummmmm. I'm sure there is a good reason for this, but why? Isn't Sidney well facilitied enough to handle the repair of Wasp? Especially if oyu add Naval HQs and whatnot? Sid is secure and much, much closer to the scene of any future action. While I saw the case for Big E to Capetown, as Perth and other parts of Oz were not secure from the ravages of a raiding KB, why waste the time to trek half way around the world to Capetown and back?
Laxplayer

Post by Laxplayer »

I agree with others here...

Send the Wasp to Sydney. Though you might be able to set Wasp in the shipyard to "critical" (x3 space usage) at Cape Town, but that doesn't always have much of an affect... ie., 214 days of repair at normal setting, 213 days of repair at critical setting. Sydney likely has more Naval support to fix all the SYS damage at pierside very quickly before you stick it in drydock. I've found that method helps speed things up a lot when I was tinkering around trying to fix my BBs that got mauled on the opening turn at Pearl.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

nygiants: All my USN Base forces, and anything else with Nav Support, is forward; that's how I unloaded at Waingapu and Koepang as fast as I did. Good idea though.

Questioners on Wasp: I might go Sydney, but the damage is pretty severe, and should go faster at a larger shipyard. Besides, Sydney is usually pretty busy with Sub and other repairs. We'll see; have to get her out of Albany first.

Combat Report, Dec 8,9, 1942

Kido Butai off Northern Australia: See map below; on the 8th, Kido Butai attacked a small convoy off Port Hedland. More by accident than anything else, some of my CV CAP bled over, and shot down over 40 IJN planes. I lost 4 ships. But bleeding off the initial KB pilot cadre is important, that's over 140 now down.

I would have taken a battle there in range of my LBA, but CF is too wise to try that. KB retreats northward, probably to refresh the planes in Sinagpore. again.

Tanna: Invasion force clears Fiji, no doubt it will be spotted tommorow, unless Cuttlefish's Nav Search is lax.

Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (141.48 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, Dec 10, 1942

Kido Butai: Last seen just off the South Tip of Java, heading Northeast, probably to either Soerbaya or Singapore to refuel. Probably Singapore, where they can take on replacement aircraft for the ones lost off Australia.

Tanna: D-Day is tommorow. My invasion fleet reports seeing NO Japanese search aircraft! Could it be that Cuttlefish has a hole in his airsearch? If so, it will be revealed tommorow, when we go over the beach.

Intel consistently shows 2 units, and 4500 troops. My guess is a base force and a Regt, but hard to say until we unload. I think I have enough.

Ambon: This invasion will be ready to sail in 4 days, and I am timing it with the move on Port Moresby. Latest intel/recon indicates 3 units, and 4000 to 5000 troops in Ambon; nothing I shouldn't be able to handle with the invasion forces, which consist of 8th Australian Division (full strength), 3rd Motor Bde, and a MG Bn.

Port Moresby: This looks like it might be a problem. I have detailed 32nd Infantry, 2 Tank units for this, and there are a reported 11,000 troops at the base. That's not enough troops! Not sure what to do, I hate to cancel, but I hate to strand a bunch of guys either.

Once I land successfully at Luganville and Tanna, I will have alot more units ready to prep for various targets. I hope I am not spreading my preps too thin, but I fear I may be.

jackyo123

Post by jackyo123 »

Wasp Repair: Wasp is still stuck at Albany; float has gone down 1 point in several days, to 74. I don't dare move her, because subs are about, and she migth founder anyway, but she also isn't repairing. This is really becoming a problem. I hope she pumps out enough to get her to Perth, where she can do more emergency repairs before heading to Capetown. But this is looking more and more like a 6 month+ repair. Ouch! F-ing subs!

To add insult to injury, IJN subs also got a TK off Exmouth, 3 xAKLs off Koepang, and an APD off Pago Pago, all in 4 days. I have kind of ignored aircraft ASW, but I am now training all the Kingfisher units on it.

[

You might want to train a few LRB's in ASW as well - some of the more useless allied bombers are decent once their ASW scores are in the 40's; and if you run them at low altitude, say 7k, while having them on naval attack, they often will train up in both Naval AND asw ratings. My allied air forces that ive been running on ASW for several months have become quite adept at hitting jap subs. They dont do much damage, but they really keep the subs heads down, and my sinkings have falled pretty dramatically. Catalinas and b17's are also really, really good at asw, when running at abou 8000 ft.
My favorite chinese restaurant in Manhattan -
http://www.mrchow.com

The best computer support firm in NYC:
http://www.thelcogroup.com

Coolest internet toolbar:
http://www.stumbleupon.com
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, Dec 11,12, 1942

Weak Invasion: Well, I am going to take Tanna, and deserved a worse result because my invasion was a real terrible job. Will work anyway though.

Cuttlefish didn't spot it apparently until they started to unload. Of course, only ONE of my TFs unloaded, not the main one, so that cost me a day. Several Netties attacked, but they all dropped bombs. They did tear up my feeble Wildcat CAP, so much so that I will have practically none tommorow.

I will unload one more day and take my lumps, then get out of here. The Garrison was very weak, only a single Nav Gd unit plus a base force, and I brought 1 1/2 marine Divisions. I am going to get away with one here!

Kido Butai: Last seen on the 11th, steaming past Soerbaya to the Northwest.

Port Moresby, Ambon: These invasions will sail in two days.

Intel Reports: I am getting alot of intel around Davao; ground troops, an AIR HQ, an Army HQ, all kinds of stuff. I think Cuttlefish is heavily reinforcing Mindanao, which is wise. If that's the case, I plan to bypass it, I don't need a major land war on that large island. It will be tricky, but I'll probably jump from Celebes to Jolo and vicinity, and work my way up that end of the archipelago. This is thinking a year ahead at least, but need to start planning for this.

Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (131.39 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, Dec 13-16, 1942

Tanna Captured: Tanna falls to the 2nd attack on the 15th, fairly easily. I didn't even bombard it with BBs; the garrison of 1 Nav Gd and a base force appeared to be wiped out (unless CF flew out cadres). Either way, the place is mine.

I got lucky on this invasion; as it happens, my aircover was totally inadequate, and it was only Cuttlefish's lack of supplies at Luganville that saved me. His Netties dropped bombs instead of torpedos, sinking 3 APs (with another sinking due to accident), instead of the dozen or so he could have taken down. I doubt he could have compeltely stopped me though, I had more troops than I needed.

At this point, I will probably go ahead with Luganville; I would like a little aircover next time, but for Luganville I will have 6 CVEs, plus Tanna. Troops are already prepped, just a matter of going back and getting them. I plan that invasion around New Years.

Port Moresby: Troops are loading up at Townsville for an invasion of Port Moresby. I wanted to simultaneously move on Ambon, but I don't have enough shipping yet at Darwin (stupid me). They will sail in a few days. The PM invasion force is 32nd Div, I Corps HQ, 1 Combat Eng Bn, 2 Tank units, 2 Art units. Not sure it's enough, but noone else is prepped. I did just send a Regt of the 24th Division north and start prepping just in case; this unit just arrived at Sydney.

Ambon: As I said, I lack shipping; the garrison still appears small, so I am hopeful for this one. I know at least 2 of the units are base troops, and probably some SNLF besides. Invasion force is 8th Aus Div, 3rd Motor Bde.

Kendari: Kendari will be ready shortly after Ambon. I have 2 full divisions, 6th Aus and 40th US Inf, almost 100% prepped for Kendari.

Troop Movements: The Southwest/New Hebrides campaign is really just to clear supply lines. Once that is complete, I plan to send all troops to the DEI. I have no plans to advance anywhere else in the Pacific, with the exception of Wake Is, so I can clear a path to the Marianas, which is a target for late 1943 or 1944. I am going to bypass the Marshalls, Solomons, Gilberts, and Caroline Is. Don't need them.

Attachments
aaa.jpg
aaa.jpg (134.32 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Q-Ball

Next Steps

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat report, Dec 17-19, 1942

Tanna: Tanna is completely secure. I am moving the 1st Marine Div. and Marine Tank unit to Australia, and thence to Perth. As I secure the New Hebrides, I am shifting the Marines to the DEI. I hope to wrap-up the New Hebrides campaign by the end of January; by wrap-up, meaning Tanna, Efate, and Luganville secured, and a base established at Koumac to pound Noumea to irrelevance. Once all this happens, it's on to the DEI, where I will go all-in in the SRA!

Port Moresby Invasion: So far so good......our fleet, undetected, sails from Cooktown today. They should be sighted tommorow, and unload the following day on Port Moresby, so he doesn't have much time to react.

I anticipate Zero/Netty opposition, but I don't think I'll see any IJN surface ships, or at least nothing I can't handle. I think the IJN is mostly concentrated at Singapore and Davao, based on my intelligence and sightings.

I am still very unsure about this move; I fear I didn't bring enough guys. Oh well, if it fails, I'll just do the same thing MacArthur did at Buna: Fire the CO of the 32nd Infantry Division for my failure as a theater commander to provide adequate troops for the task. It's good to be the King![:D]

Ambon: This invasoin sailed from Darwin today. I think I have enough on this one, only 4500 guys at Ambon, and at least 2 units are base troops. Aircover will be fairly skimpy, so I need to get in fast and hope Ms Netty doesn't take a high toll. Still, I anticipate losing a few ships on this one.

4Es are hitting Ambon starting tommorow, which should hopefully limit the takeoffs for torpedo planes.

With both of these invasions, I am taking RISKS, and counting on being able to get in fast. I expect surface opposstion at Ambon, so I am bringing 7 RN BBs. We shall see what the results are. Stay tuned!

Burma: The ceasefire ends today. I am leaving a large garrrson behind at Akyab and Myiktinya; I have pulled everyone else back, and all restricted units are just about back in India. I don't have the strength at this point to try a land campaing, but should be able to hold what I have without issue.

I am unleashing the bombers tommorow, to chase Japanese air from Burma.

Sub War: The results lately have been disappointing. Part of this has been that I have alot of subs deployed as scouts for the IJN (and this has worked a couple times!). Part of it maybe is Cuttlefish getting a little wiser on where my subs are, and re-routing ships. Sometimes the only ships I see are ASW hunters, which is a clear sign he is on to me. I need to think about how to mix it up.

Long-term, part of the move into the SRA is to constrict the sea lanes back to Japan, and flood those with subs. That should get tanker kills.

fflaguna

RE: Next Steps

Post by fflaguna »

I am still very unsure about this move; I fear I didn't bring enough guys. Oh well, if it fails, I'll just do the same thing MacArthur did at Buna: Fire the CO of the 32nd Infantry Division for my failure as a theater commander to provide adequate troops for the task. It's good to be the King![:D]

Neat, I just went and read about this! Heheh. ;)
Q-Ball

Port Moresby Revisited

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, Dec 20-21, 1942

Port Moresby: Day one of unloading saw no air attacks at all; we ran into some Zeros over Port Moresby, but that's all. 60 B-17s from Coen dropped bombs on the airstrip at PM to keep it down. We began to unload the invasion forces: I Corps HQ, 32nd Inf Div, 2 Tank units, 2 Artillery Units, 1 Combat Eng Bn. All are 100% prepped.

Day 2 saw Japanese air attacks out of Rabaul, Zeros and some Nells. We had a LRCAP of P-38s, who shot down 14 Nells. We lost an AK to torpedo attack, but that was it. All in all, pretty light. Our first ground attack was 1-1, knocked down the forts, and caused more Japanese casualties than we took. The garrison is a Port Unit, Base Force, 144th Regt (a good one), and a fragment of 53rd Division. We should have enough to take the place, so Gen. Harding won't have to lose his job!

Once PM is open for business, we will expand the airstrip and start bombing anything within range, particularly Lae and Milne Bay, the bases that can most mess with any shipping through the Torres Strait.

As a side note, looking at the map, a good Japanese player will build an airstrip at Nadzab next to Lae, and put an AIR HQ at Lae; that way, you can use both airbases for Torpedo attacks, harder to shut both down, and you don't build an airbase the Allies can take from you via sea invasion, like Salamaua.

Ambon: Invasion forces will be within range of Ambon tommorow. 4Es from Koepang start bombing tommorow; I am already bombing Kendari from Lautem. I have not observed IJN units since the 19th, when several cruisers ran over a sub outside of Palembang. Not sure if that was KB or not.

I am covering the invasion forces with 7 RN BBs, and remote air support from Lautem and the USN CVs; they are standing off enough to stay out of trouble, yet contribute WIldcats to LRCAP.

Kendari/Kolaka: Most of my preps are done for these two points, and Cuttlefish doesn't seem to want to contest the skies over Kendari. Once Ambon is taken, we are landing at these two points to establish bases. The next step after that? landings at Malacca and that corner of Celebes, which has alot of potential bases. I am already prepping 1st Marines for Balikpapan, next step after that.
Q-Ball

RE: Port Moresby Revisited

Post by Q-Ball »

Combat Report, Dec 22, 1942

Port Moresby Liberated!: Port Moresby falls to the second attack, a 6-1 which sends the defenders over the Owen Stanley range toward Buna.

I didn't bring any base forces with me for the landing, which wasn't too bright; I am loading them up on the coast. In the meantime, some troops are still unloading, so I will be exposed tommorow, but I am hoping there aren't major attacks.

Ambon: The fleet is 60 miles offshore, and I don't think we were spotted from Ambon; weather socked in Ambon so that I couldn't bomb it either. We should unload tonight, and I suspect Cuttlefish will think the walls are closing in after the successful landing at Port Moresby.

If this goes well, Kendari is next.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Ambon: The fleet is 60 miles offshore, and I don't think we were spotted from Ambon; weather socked in Ambon so that I couldn't bomb it either. We should unload tonight, and I suspect Cuttlefish will think the walls are closing in after the successful landing at Port Moresby.

If this goes well, Kendari is next.

Impressive work.(Except for forgetting a base force )

Cuttlefish has got to come out and fight soon -- your 4E's will start threatening more Oil and Resource bases than he cares to have cut off.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Swenslim

Post by Swenslim »

With all power in his hands Cutterfish is acting very very bad...

Return to “After Action Reports”