still quite?

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

freeboy

still quite?

Post by freeboy »

I was thinking we wher all hoping for a 1st qtr release.. any news thats fit to print?
"Tanks forward"
cdbeck

RE: still quite?

Post by cdbeck »

Still quite what? [;)] Quite quiet? LOL...

There has been some discussion on the Wargamer.com boards about BftB, although I wouldn't say there has been a "IT'S COMING IN ON..." type post. Mostly vague hints about possibly by the end of February, or maybe sometime a little later. But, for all I know, it could be tomorrow!

Check out that thread over there, though, Dave has been posting quite a bit in it. [:'(]
"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

We're working as hard as we can. Most bugs have been squashed, the scenarios have been more or less finalised. Paul is trying to resolve a bug in the multiplayer code and I'm plowing my way through the tutorial movies. I'm afraid it's been a frustrating experience this week trying to get Camtasia to work properly. There's always a steep learning curve when you start using a new software tool, but this one is as buggy as hell or incapable of handling anything but really short videos. So I'm reduced to doing things in bite size chuncks. But rest assured I am making progress. At the current rate, it will take me another two weeks to finish these, plus another week to finalise the manuals. So we should be able to sign off in three weeks and Matrix will need a couple of weeks before it goes on sale.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Seydlitz69

Post by Seydlitz69 »

ORIGINAL: Arjuna

We're working as hard as we can. Most bugs have been squashed, the scenarios have been more or less finalised. Paul is trying to resolve a bug in the multiplayer code and I'm plowing my way through the tutorial movies. I'm afraid it's been a frustrating experience this week trying to get Camtasia to work properly. There's always a steep learning curve when you start using a new software tool, but this one is as buggy as hell or incapable of handling anything but really short videos. So I'm reduced to doing things in bite size chuncks. But rest assured I am making progress. At the current rate, it will take me another two weeks to finish these, plus another week to finalise the manuals. So we should be able to sign off in three weeks and Matrix will need a couple of weeks before it goes on sale.

That sounds like a end of March/April release [&:]
"He who has not fought the Germans does not know war". - British Military Aphorism
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

ORIGINAL: Seydlitz69

Maths doesn't seem to be in fashion these days [;)] - today plus five weeks to release = end of Feb, maybe early March. Yes it could be longer, but in any event, please be patient. Good things are worth waiting for. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

yep, we be very glad you have not given up after several years! GREAT to see pending release ..
I am sure this has been asked and answered multiple times, is there a large scenario covering  the entire B o B?

Seems it would be tooo much for the scope ofthis game.. but thought I would ask since we are in post beta clean up and all the scens are done..
thanks again
"Tanks forward"
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

freeboy,

No there isn't and yes you are right in that it would be too big for our engine on the current machines. We can handle a corps sized force on one side v a reinforced div on the other or about 400 units in the game. To do the entire bulge in one scenario would mean managing 4000+ units. Further we restrict the map area to reduce route finding calcs. Currently we support 50 x 40 kms. To cover the entire bulge area we would need 150 x 120.

In the future we would like to overhaul the engine so it can support multiple commands per side and then to support load sharing across multiple processors. This will allow us to take advantage of the processing power of quad core machines, which will be the norm over the next couple of years. This should allow us to handle bigger battles. Further, we would like to make changes to load share across multiple computers. Then we could fight huge battles on a LAN. [:)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

This has probably been mentioned, but I haven't seen it anywhere. Will it be possible to replace American units with British in the editor, for another "what if" situation?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Rebel Yell,

Now why would a good ol' boy from the south want to do that for? [;)]

We'll be making an announcement about the editors in a short while. This will answer your question. Please be patient and stay tuned.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Well, mos'ly cuz muh druthers would be to not be shootin' at Murrican boys if I was to play the Germans. And I suspect I'd be missin' half the fun if'n I only stuck with our boys.

Much obliged for the editor info. Happy to be patient, as this is a'gonna be worth the wait.
ETF

Post by ETF »

In the future we would like to overhaul the engine so it can support multiple commands per side and then to support load sharing across multiple processors. This will allow us to take advantage of the processing power of quad core machines, which will be the norm over the next couple of years. This should allow us to handle bigger battles. Further, we would like to make changes to load share across multiple computers. Then we could fight huge battles on a LAN. [:)]
NOW we are TALKING!!! The golden age of Wargaming 2011'ish :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
Grim.Reaper

Post by Grim.Reaper »

Maths doesn't seem to be in fashion these days [;)] - today plus five weeks to release = end of Feb, maybe early March. Yes it could be longer, but in any event, please be patient. Good things are worth waiting for. [:)]

Just curious how things are going. Any chance we are still on target for end of Feb/early March release?
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Seydlitz69

Post by Seydlitz69 »

Sorry Arjuna for this but I cant resist [;)]
I saw your statement in the Progress thread and now it seems as if Maths is on my side. I told you
it would be end of March/April. [:D]
"He who has not fought the Germans does not know war". - British Military Aphorism
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Math is over-rated, isn't it? [;)]
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

And I wonder why devs steer clear of release dates - regardless of how many "we only want an indication" statements are thrown at them! [:D]
Alba gu' brath
Seydlitz69

Post by Seydlitz69 »

Math is over-rated, isn't it? [;)]

Lol. Yes thats definitely true. [:D]

Return to “Command Ops Series”