Some Basic Training Video Tutorials

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

n01487477

Some Basic Training Video Tutorials

Post by n01487477 »

Ok my fresh faced recruits welcome to Basic Training.

First off let me say that I am not placing myself as the repository of all knowledge, and I'm sure that many veterans might cringe at my efforts to provide (hopefully not erroneous) material. I know, I feel a bit of reticence actually putting myself out there too ...

Many of you know me as a Tracker programmer & WITP / AE devotee. I am not currently engaged in a game and consider myself to be still learning the new system - so please bring to my attention any errors I make.

These tutorials as initially focused on getting absolute new players familiar with the various interface commands, but will hopefully be expanded to include more complex issues later.

It is not filled out yet, but it is a beginning and I hope over the coming weeks to include more advanced topics after the basics are worked out.

The video's are not full video mode and are only captured at 9 frames / sec to keep their size reasonable. The hum in the background is my CPU fan going crazy, but I'll endeavour to refine my tutorials and buy a proper mic at some stage.

If anyone else wants to help, you can download some video capture software, I'm using Camtasia Studio (which has a 30 day trial) and give it a go ... I'll give you rights to collaborate and you can upload your material too (PM me)

Like many information projects (wiki) that have started, this might run a quick course too, but I hope not. Give me some suggestions and I'll see what I can do.

I don't believe I am infringing on the game software rights, but if I am please tell me and I'll take the material down.

You can have a look here:- http://sites.google.com/site/n01487477/Home

Regards

UPDATE
OK - I am going to upload all of my tutorials to Youtube. http://youtu.be/ZOvmfzu2Qi4

A lot of the originals were done in a bad format and will need to be completely remade as the conversion process is not working out.
Mistmatz

RE: Some Basic Training Video Tutorials

Post by Mistmatz »

Great idea. Thats exactely the stuff many newbees will welcome.

If I may throw in some constructive critizism I'd try to set the noise of your mouse clicking to 0 and also try to avoid running a tea boiler in the background (first video). It took me a while but I guess it's not a boiler but the fan of your PC. You really need to clean this one. ;)

Maybe you can also improve the frame rate and try not to move the center of attention around. Just the window running the program should be better for orientation. If this means too much data (filesize) you could use youtube for hosting.

Actually this sounds now like a lot of critique but I really like the stuff you've done here.
If you gained knowledge through the forum, why not putting it into the AE wiki?

http://witp-ae.wikia.com/wiki/War_in_th ... ition_Wiki

John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Hell---"stuff newbies will welcome."  This older player (trying to get a firm grasp of this monster) greatly appreciates the work and PLEASE add more! 

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Roger Neilson II

Post by Roger Neilson II »

This is a really good idea, and one I'd be happy to contribute to, as hopefully would others - but I do think the YouTube solution for the storage would work better.

Hows about a requests section, and then people could do them as they are requested, and as they feel they know how to do it - and a common naming convention to YouTube and Robert is your uncle?

Roger
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Thanks guys for the support, I agree that YouTube might have been a better solution, with an index page which I'll manage (or not - if this thread does that)...

I'll buy a mic tomorrow and see about revamping what I've done already and see if I can expand into other areas as well.

Cheers

--Damian--

PS. Good to see you JohnIII, I'm sure I'll be dealing with your economy in the near future [;)]
tojothedog

Post by tojothedog »

wow.... this sounds great (newbie speaking)
too bad the fire wall at my office blocks this site..
now the question is how can I leave work early to see this.. [:D]
thegreatwent

Post by thegreatwent »

Nicely done. My only critique is on waypoints. Refueling options are a must. Inertia is the enemy of initiative, I respect your effort here.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Wow!

BTW, I'm not so sure it's a good idea to use the YouTube format because that might squeeze the videos into a smaller size.
lolz

Post by lolz »

nicely done,but videos seem to get stuck? or its my player =/
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Thanks guys for the support, I agree that YouTube might have been a better solution, with an index page which I'll manage (or not - if this thread does that)...

I'll buy a mic tomorrow and see about revamping what I've done already and see if I can expand into other areas as well.

Cheers

--Damian--

PS. Good to see you JohnIII, I'm sure I'll be dealing with your economy in the near future [;)]

Damian,

THANKS SOOOOOOO MUCH! You are correct. I am sure that I will find new and exciting ways to toally screw-up the Japanese economy very SOON!

Nice work as always with this. You have been a great credit to our Forum and I greatly appreciate your work and help.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Excellent idea and effort, but the graphic resolution will need to be a bit better.

Thanks,
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
doc smith

Post by doc smith »

Just saw your tutorials. Brilliant!! A great tutorial group.

Doc
Ghertz

Post by Ghertz »

Now I know to make a "continuous supply".  It has bedeviled me that I couldn't get that to work in my games.  Thank you.
seille

Post by seille »

Really great Damian, but i would also like to see at least small improvements in sound and
graphic quality. Can´t you double the bitrate ? Files should still be not too big.
The idea is VERY good as this thread shows.
Tatoune

Post by Tatoune »

I own the game since 2 weeks now and honnestly, I was desperate cause too much thing that I dont know how to... Your videos are priceless for me, THANKS!!!!!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Don't worry Damian, John will try to see if I can help. When I cannot, then we will move up the food chain to Q-Ball and Mike S. before we come to you. [;)]
[center]Image[/center]
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Ok guys,
I've taken your suggestions on board. I'll remaster these video's in full motion and improve the sound over the next few days, as well as look for a better location to upload them.

Any suggestions from the choir as to what you'd like me to do next?

floydg

Post by floydg »

Ok guys,
I've taken your suggestions on board. I'll remaster these video's in full motion and improve the sound over the next few days, as well as look for a better location to upload them.

Can you do something about the accent... [;)]
Delete the trackerdb.* files.
Copy the pwsdll.dll file from the game folder to the WitPTracker folder.
Try running the WitPTracker.bat again.
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: floydg

Ok guys,

[X(] [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

ORIGINAL: floydg
Ok guys,
I've taken your suggestions on board. I'll remaster these video's in fps and improve the sound over the next few days, as well as look for a better location to upload them.

[:D][:D] I can't sing (and apparently now - talk)[8|]

Did a few more today, just filling out some things & wasting time. I think I'll just do them now and later go back and make them better when I find a good solution, as I looked at YouTube and Photobucket but nothing gave me quality I wish for esp. at full screen. I got a mic and I think the sound quality is at least better now.

Cheers
Damian

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”