EXTRA movement of carrier groups Discovered

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

WITPPL

EXTRA movement of carrier groups Discovered

Post by WITPPL »

"works" like this:

transfer to a carrier.
disband a carrier.
pick it while disbanded.
transfer AGAIN.

I have dicovered it while resizing one of my carrier groups. I am a lazy fellow so I have not checked if it works with "no resize" on.

Its a bug. Gamey one. [:-]

Lets call it STAR WARS STYLE (copyrights etc) [:'(]

bradfordkay

RE: EXTRA movement of carrier groups Discovered

Post by bradfordkay »

I'd call it a minor bug. Carrier air units were short ranged enough that they could probably fly two transfer ranges within a day (as far as the amount of time taken is concerned) a slong as they could land and refuel along the way.
fair winds,
Brad
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

The gamiest tactic I ever encountered was in an old game called Fighting Flattops - and it was used against me in a PBEM match.  I finally figured out what was going on, called it on my opponent, and he was mortified (the old:  "Man, I'm sorry I was caught"-type mortification).

Here was the tactic - you could consolidate TFs that were within a certain distance of each other (I think it was 40 miles).  So, my opponent would send faster DDs out in front of slower CVs.  Then he would consolidate the CVs with the more-forward DDs.  Sometimes he was able to do this multiple times in the same turn.  So CVs were traveling much further than their top speed, which was giving me fits.  Suddenly carriers would show up where they had no business being.

We've had trouble with some "gamey" tactics in WitP (and AE), but I haven't seen anything like that yet.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
WITPPL

Post by WITPPL »

I am not an expert here but in game terms max rng of Kate x 2 = Nell

10 more groups dancing through the whole map? Oh yes Sir!
[:D]

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I'd call it a minor bug. Carrier air units were short ranged enough that they could probably fly two transfer ranges within a day (as far as the amount of time taken is concerned) a slong as they could land and refuel along the way.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

this would be true for more or less every other Allied fighter on the map too. What the op reports doesn´t sound right in game terms. No more than one transfer per turn.
bradfordkay

Post by bradfordkay »

It is similar to the one where you have a fragment of a squadron that transfers into the base where the squadron. When it joins the squadron, the squadron can immediately transfer to another base - thus giving that fragment the chance to transfer twice in one day.

Since I have always played with a personal house rule that any air unit whose transfer takes more than about four hours to fly at cruise speed must stand down for the rest of the day - these little hiccups in the code don't worry me. If I have an F4F fragment transfer twice in one day, it's because there is enough time for that transfer to actually occur. I wouldn't let it happen with a PBY squadron transferring full distance because that already exceeds my PR on the subject.
fair winds,
Brad
WITPPL

Post by WITPPL »

Probably I am not right
but
I think that a small fragment consolidation into a larger squadron blocks squadron movement now (WITP AE era)
it s just an obbservation not a study [;)]

It is similar to the one where you have a fragment of a squadron that transfers into the base where the squadron. When it joins the squadron, the squadron can immediately transfer to another base - thus giving that fragment the chance to transfer twice in one day.

Since I have always played with a personal house rule that any air unit whose transfer takes more than about four hours to fly at cruise speed must stand down for the rest of the day - these little hiccups in the code don't worry me. If I have an F4F fragment transfer twice in one day, it's because there is enough time for that transfer to actually occur. I wouldn't let it happen with a PBY squadron transferring full distance because that already exceeds my PR on the subject.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Probably I am not right
but
I think that a small fragment consolidation into a larger squadron blocks squadron movement now (WITP AE era)

I thought with AE that loophole was closed - either the squadron can't move or the planes that already moved stay behind.
aprezto

Post by aprezto »

No this still happens. I am not too unhappy with this, the pilot that flies twice in one day gets very high fatigue and is operating under a much greater chance of crashing, or being shot down in subsequent operations unless rested.
ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Probably I am not right
but

Image courtesy of Divepac
stuman

Post by stuman »

Good catch WITPPL.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”