Is the computer game just like the Miniatures game?

Based on Slitherine’s popular tabletop wargaming system by the same name, Field of Glory now comes to the PC in a faithful adaptation of this acclaimed miniatures wargame! Without the calculations and measurements required for a tabletop game of Field of Glory, the PC version accurately represents Ancient and Medieval combat where you make the important and fun decisions on the battlefield. This forum also supports the Rise of Rome, Storm of Arrows and Immortal Fire expansions to Field of Glory.
darthsmaul

Is the computer game just like the Miniatures game?

Post by darthsmaul »

Hey everyone, been very interested in trying this game.

Im a long time DBA and BBDBA player and a friend of mine plays FOG the miniature war game.

I am curious if the computer game is just like it or just uses the name?

any input would be good, Im hoping if it is Ill download it today.

thanks

Steve
Andrew Loveridge

RE: Is the computer game just like the Miniatures game?

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

It intends to be as close to the miniatures games as possible.  The sprites are created from photographed mini's.  The rules are effectively identical.  Just no measuring or rolling dice.

darthsmaul

Post by darthsmaul »

excellent, well if that is the case I will be buying one today [:)]

thanks much!!
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: smaul1

excellent, well if that is the case I will be buying one today [:)]

thanks much!!

You can't go wrong wtih this purchase!!! It's very addictive...And a blast to play.
Tony
HarryInk

Post by HarryInk »

1. Is it multiplayer in that I can set up two laptops on my kitchen table and fight a friend right there (via my wireless modem)?

2. Is it really stable and reliable on XP and VISTA?

3. Does it have unit and terrain editors that allow you to play a wide range of eras & battles?

I do like the idea of this system but am wary of putting my money down for a game that only half works... again.
IainMcNeil

Post by IainMcNeil »

If you are playing a friend you can play hotseat with a single copy on one PC. If you want to play MP via internet you'll both need accounts, so both need copies of the game. You cannot play wirelessly as the system is all based around the server to exhange games and match make.

It is stable as far as we know :)

It has scenrio editors. The expansion has a real army editor like the tabletop. The first army pack includes about 300 new troop types from 20 armies covering the Rise of Rome.
Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games
darthsmaul

Post by darthsmaul »

I will say it is fun to play, but reading the miniature rules last night (which is what got me interested in this game) it certainly doesnt have the same look or feel as the miniature game.

There are no large batlle group formations and movement is way more liberal in this game, there really isnt any complicated movement tests as per the miniature rules or wheeling large formations of infantry in line etc..  It does  use the same cohesion conditions etc...its similar to the minis game at best from what I can tell.

So that is a little disappointing.  I was hoping it would be more like DBA online but maybe since it is hexbased that is not possible.

Anyway, I always like a good ancients game, but I think the answer should have been no it is not just like the miniatures game.
PunkReaper

Post by PunkReaper »

It has scenrio editors. The expansion has a real army editor like the tabletop. The first army pack includes about 300 new troop types from 20 armies covering the Rise of Rome

Looking forwards to this expansion, what is the estimated release date...... estimated being the appropriate word.
sliver_bullet

Post by sliver_bullet »

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
It has scenrio editors. The expansion has a real army editor like the tabletop. The first army pack includes about 300 new troop types from 20 armies covering the Rise of Rome

Looking forwards to this expansion, what is the estimated release date...... estimated being the appropriate word.

It should be around mid Feb 2010 but you need to pe order now to get them at special price of $19.90
darthsmaul

Post by darthsmaul »

I am disappointed because like the mini game Im not seeing where you have simple and complex move tests or lines of battle moving together vs just battle-groups and the battle-groups don't have the feel of a large formation of troops since it can just spin in place in the hex.

I was so hoping it would be the mini game on computer, not just similar or based on it.

Steve

Return to “Field of Glory Series”