There doesn't appear to be any strategy to this game

Smugglers IV - Doomsday is a fun and challenging turn-based space-trading game where you take command of an advanced space ship amidst a galaxy torn by war and crime! With your ship and skilled crew you can choose to be a greedy trader, ambitious bounty hunter, ruthless pirate, or one of the other professions in your quest for riches, fame, and power! Through trading, fulfilling missions, or pirating, you can earn the money and skills necessary to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. As success brings larger ships, missions, and enemies, you'll have to manage a crew, board & plunder enemy ships, and even conquer star systems.
Gunhawk

There doesn't appear to be any strategy to this game

Post by Gunhawk »

Am I wrong?

I fight battle after battle and the outcome is always pure luck. Maybe I miss...maybe I hit. Maybe he hits...maybe he doesn't. Small ships blow up my big ships. Small ships hit harder than mine. There doesn't appear to be any reason for that. It's getting boring after three days.

Can anybody please give me their winning strategy?

vonRocko

RE: There doesn't appear to be any strategy to this game

Post by vonRocko »

ORIGINAL: Gunhawk

Am I wrong?

I fight battle after battle and the outcome is always pure luck. Maybe I miss...maybe I hit. Maybe he hits...maybe he doesn't. Small ships blow up my big ships. Small ships hit harder than mine. There doesn't appear to be any reason for that. It's getting boring after three days.

You are not wrong, the game is lousy and boring.I haven't played since I bought it.Judging by the number of responses to your questions, nobody else seems to be playing either.
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I played until I hit Admiral, and captrued a battleship. After that there doesn't seem to be much point. It was fun while it lasted, and then...
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Gunhawk

Post by Gunhawk »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

I played until I hit Admiral, and captrued a battleship. After that there doesn't seem to be much point. It was fun while it lasted, and then...

I made it to Admiral, retired at level "Tycoon" and they gave me a planet named "Sargoth". I had about 7 lives left.

Unless someone can tell me that there's some definite strategy to this game I'm outta here!
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

ORIGINAL: Gunhawk

Am I wrong?

You are not wrong, the game is lousy and boring.I haven't played since I bought it.Judging by the number of responses to your questions, nobody else seems to be playing either.

Funny when I said that about this game when it first came out I got jumped on by the developer and Erik.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Same here. Why bother, same old same old... same fights, over and over... I'm tired now. [:D] [>:]
Gargantou

Post by Gargantou »

Well in the end Smugglers(the entire series) basically seem to set out to be Sid Meier's Pirates(the old versions) in space, which they accomplish IMO.

Sure they're not exactly great indie games, but they're fun enough for coffee-breaks IMO.*Hides from haters*
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I don't hate the game. I actually enjoyed it up to a point. I don't regret my purchase.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Gargantou

Post by Gargantou »

I don't hate the game. I actually enjoyed it up to a point. I don't regret my purchase.
Same but I guess I knew what to expect more than some others since I played both Smugglers 2 and 3, and was pretty much just expecting more of the same with some slight improvements.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

You're definitely wrong. If you don't think combat takes any strategy/tactics, then you're really not paying attention to your weapon techs, skills or those of your opponent. It takes planning, skill and a little luck to take out a corvette with a fighter but it can be done. I got to the end of the demo and was able to do this and it was lots of fun.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Grifman

I got to the end of the demo and was able to do this and it was lots of fun.

So you only played the demo? You don't own the game?

Return to “Smugglers IV - Doomsday”