Pilot Training

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

findmeifyoucan

Pilot Training

Post by findmeifyoucan »

On skill improvements I know green numbers show what each pilot has improved for the month but what do the orange numbers mean? Is this recent improvements?
Also for Port bombing which skill is used, ground bombing or air base bombing?
Mike Solli

RE: Pilot Training

Post by Mike Solli »

I thought green ws for skills improved that day and orange was for the month.  If I'm wrong, then it's the other way around.

Not sure about port bombing. 
Created by the amazing Dixie
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I thought green was for skills improved that day and orange was for the month.  If I'm wrong, then it's the other way around.

Not sure about port bombing. 
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Green = Skill that was improved that day
Orange = That month

GrndB or Ground Bombing is used for Port Bombing, except at altitudes of 6K or under, in which case it's LowG. In any case, bombing a port is the same as an airbase or a bunch of troops.
findmeifyoucan

Post by findmeifyoucan »

Okay, great thanks Q-Ball!
findmeifyoucan

Post by findmeifyoucan »

What does the * mean next to the ranking of some of the pilots in your air group?
Puhis

Post by Puhis »

ORIGINAL: findmeifyoucan

What does the * mean next to the ranking of some of the pilots in your air group?

I think * is squadron leader.
findmeifyoucan

Post by findmeifyoucan »

Is there any advantage on training or anything else to having a squadran leader or more than one in a group? Also regarding training pilots, is there some kind of formula as to 80+ pilots training within their own group? For example I know they increase the chances for other pilots to increase skills faster but if let us say you have a group of 30 untrained pilots, would it be better to have 3x 80+ experience pilots within the group or is just 1x 80+ exp pilot sufficient? I am just trying to figure out the fastest route to get my rookies trained into 70+ kind of guys!! :-))
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Green = Skill that was improved that day
Orange = That month

GrndB or Ground Bombing is used for Port Bombing, except at altitudes of 6K or under, in which case it's LowG. In any case, bombing a port is the same as an airbase or a bunch of troops.

6k is still normal naval or grd bombing in my game. Everything below is low and is increasing the low level skills. [&:]
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Is there any advantage on training or anything else to having a squadran leader or more than one in a group? Also regarding training pilots, is there some kind of formula as to 80+ pilots training within their own group? For example I know they increase the chances for other pilots to increase skills faster but if let us say you have a group of 30 untrained pilots, would it be better to have 3x 80+ experience pilots within the group or is just 1x 80+ exp pilot sufficient? I am just trying to figure out the fastest route to get my rookies trained into 70+ kind of guys!! :-))

I'm not sure. If a unit is in combat, I'll pull out the worst of the 81+ pilots (into TRACOM) so there are typically no more than 1-2 in a unit. I never pull out the last one though. If it's not in combat, I pull out all but 1. If it's a transport or patrol (or any of that ilk) unit, I pull out all of them.
findmeifyoucan

Post by findmeifyoucan »

Hmmm, I tend to agree for the most part. But with regard to transport and search planes I think I would still keep 1x 80+ pilot especially if higher trained in their respective transport or search rolls. I think they would help train your other pilots faster thus reducing your overall casualty rates. The lower the experience the high the chance of crashing the plane resulting in loosing the pilot and the plane. As the Japanese we are going to be short on both counts once the US production starts kicking in and we see US planes coming in droves day after day. LOL
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

Hmmm, I tend to agree for the most part. But with regard to transport and search planes I think I would still keep 1x 80+ pilot especially if higher trained in their respective transport or search rolls. I think they would help train your other pilots faster thus reducing your overall casualty rates. The lower the experience the high the chance of crashing the plane resulting in loosing the pilot and the plane. As the Japanese we are going to be short on both counts once the US production starts kicking in and we see US planes coming in droves day after day. LOL

Good point. To be honest, Ifound one on 7 Dec and moved him into TRACOM and haven't seen another one since. Can't remember where he came from though.
hmota

Post by hmota »

another question about training...
If you have e.g. float patrol unit in training which is set to train naval attack, after finishing training and pulling out trained pilots they will be used to fill patrol units or naval bomber units? What is leading factor for choosing which pilot goes to which unit? Is this the best attribute in pilot´s stats?
awaw

Post by awaw »

hmota:
Pilots are trained into 3 categories, Fighter/Bomber/Patrol. A separate reserve is maninted for each category and the relevant category will be drawn upon when requesting pilots. In your example, a float plane pilot is placed in the patrol reserves, and the pilot will be drawn upon when a float plane/flying boat squadron request pilots.

A pilot that is forcibly placed in a squadron that does not adhere to the reserve type will suffer a stat penalty. Try not to do that if possible.
hmota

Post by hmota »

OK..so there is no sense to train e.g. patrol pilots in bombing...
and another question if I train bomber pilots I can train them in airfield/torpedo/naval/ground attacks...what happens when I finish training and place them into general reserve, will the game algoritm automaticaly pick them for appropriate type af air group which coresponds to category in which I trained them?
Or I should use the upgrade/disband procedure like in old WITP to be sure that the pilots goes when I need them?
Schatten

Post by Schatten »

one Question more about Training.
Since last Patch you ahve the Auto Option to request new Pilotes
Its Anywhere/Group Reserve/General Reserve/Tracom

What use you fr your Units? Anywhere and Group is clear but if you dont use one of them is it better to use General or Tracom Option to gain better(ready) trained Pilots?

awaw

Post by awaw »

Schatten:

I strongly suggest you allocate your pilot manually, one by one. At least those that has been trained. Use the option "request veteran", and you get to pick with tender loving care
awaw

Post by awaw »

hmota:

As long as there are uncategorised pilots in the general reserve (those 35 XP graduates that have NEVER been assigned to any squadron) the game will pick them over another pilot that has already been "categorised"
Mynok

Post by Mynok »

Tracom will get you the best pilots and will also remove them from training command. It's an option I rarely choose as Japanese.
"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I would like to have a better feel for the limits of TRACOM trainers. I must have >25 guys in there now with >80 exp. If the effects max out at 10 guys, there's limited value in keeping 25 in there.

I have been reallocating pilots with >70 EXP from training squadrons to front line combat units. Those >80 get put into TRACOM. They're my second choice to draw from, but if I have a superfluous number in TRACOM, might as well have them pilot an A6M2 off of a carrier.

So...does anyone know if there's a point of diminishing returns on TRACOM?

Return to “The War Room”