Frequent crashes & other problems

Post bug reports and ask for technical assistance here.
Krautman

Frequent crashes & other problems

Post by Krautman »

Hello all,

I've just recently bought the game and had a few quite thrilling battles against the AI. I've also started to build my home village in the editor.

However, the game doesn't seem to run properly on my Vista laptop. One thing is that it regularly crashes to desktop when I try to adjust the level of volume via the Fn + F12 keys.

I can very well live with this, I just exit the game, adjust the volume, and restart. Yet there is one problem of more serious nature: In my recent efforts to hunt the Austrians from the fields of Chosutitz, this happened (in turn 12, iirc): After the assault phase was concluded, one unit of mine was highlighted as if waiting to be moved. However, it did not have any movement points left or could do anything else. When I selected and right-clicked it, all that appeared was the unit portrait with the statistics, i.e., I could not give any orders. Neither could I end the phase: In the lower right part of the screen, all I could do was 'select next unit', which I tried, the result being that again the same unit was highlighted, and again I could do nothing.

Helplessly I tried pressing some keys. The 'q' resulted in a crash to desktop and a message on the lines of 'D3D object not synchronized' or something. I restarted and loaded the game (which fortunately I had saved). The problem was the same.

I then re-loaded an earlier savegame, re-did the aussault phase, and all seemed to work nicely, the problem did not reoccur. Yet, a turn later, again one unit (it might even have been the same) was highlighted without me being able to do anything.

I hadn't saved for quite some time and didn't want to load an older savegame. It had taken me quite some time moving the entire Prussian host in an all-out assault along the field - I didn't want to repeat that . Thus, I quit the game.

It is enormously frustrating ([:@]) to have a thrilling battle in its final stage be ended by what I would think is a bug. Maybe I'm stupid and I missed some key to press or button to click - if so, I'd be happy to have all of you ridicule me, for I could resume playing. As it is now, the game is unplayable to me. I wouldn't want to spend another couple of hours on a battle which I can't bring to its conclusion.

The scenario was the grand Chosutitz battle with Friedrich and his troops included. The version of the game I play is the plain vanilla one, without any patches or mods. I can send a screenshot and the savegame via email, if required.
Tim Coakley

RE: Frequent crashes & other problems

Post by Tim Coakley »

Krautman,
please send me the save and screen shot

timc at matrixgames dot com
Horse and Musket2---Matrix Games
PrinzHenrich

Post by PrinzHenrich »

Download the beta patch, see what will hapened.
Changes....
jackx

Post by jackx »

Beta patch solves the alt-tab crash issue, so even if the media keys are still not working, that should speed up the process of adjusting volume.
(UAC on or off btw?)
After the assault phase was concluded, one unit of mine was highlighted as if waiting to be moved. However, it did not have any movement points left or could do anything else. When I selected and right-clicked it, all that appeared was the unit portrait with the statistics, i.e., I could not give any orders. Neither could I end the phase: In the lower right part of the screen, all I could do was 'select next unit', which I tried, the result being that again the same unit was highlighted, and again I could do nothing.

Did that unit just successfully assault enemies in both of its ZoC hexes and drive them back? In that case, the unit is now eligible for a follow-up move. Just click on the hex in front of it where you want it to go, and it should move there, then the sequence of play should continue as normal.
In PG the hexes were highlighted in this case IIRC...
(Normally, the game moves your units for you in this phase, as mostly, there's only 1 hex into which they can, and will, go.)

Another "oddity" with regard to these follow-up moves is that if you have two units next to an enemy who vacates a hex during the assault phase, but only one of these two units actually assaulted, the game always moves the one that did not assault.
This can lead to nasty surprises, as you only select your high morale/low disruption unit for the assault, and after it is successful, the badly beat up unit that you wanted to go easy on suddenly moves to the front.
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace
Krautman

Post by Krautman »

Thanks Tim, Prinz Heinrich, and Jackx for the responses.
ORIGINAL: jackx

Did that unit just successfully assault enemies in both of its ZoC hexes and drive them back? In that case, the unit is now eligible for a follow-up move. Just click on the hex in front of it where you want it to go, and it should move there, then the sequence of play should continue as normal.
In PG the hexes were highlighted in this case IIRC...
(Normally, the game moves your units for you in this phase, as mostly, there's only 1 hex into which they can, and will, go.)

Shame on me - that was exactly the problem. The hex (there was only one possible) wasn't highlighted. I clicked it and everything went smoothly. Weird - I recall having hexes highlighted in similar cases, but I could be mistaken. Thanks a lot, and sorry for sounding the alarm. I'll get back to smashing the Austrians now.

Return to “Tech Support”