Insane Steam Holiday Sale

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

JudgeDredd

RE: Insane Steam Holiday Sale

Post by JudgeDredd »

You know what I've spent the ENTIRE weekend playing? Plants versus Zombies. £6 from Steam and the best little addictive game I've played in a long time.

Kids love it too
Alba gu' brath
Scott_WAR

Post by Scott_WAR »

See thats where some of the negatives listed here are actually positives to me. I have found far too many games for other DD outlets, are just too large to burn to a single CD, and I havent invested in a DVD burner yet (about to build a new PC that will have one).

I like to be able to download my game anytime I choose,...as many times as I choose,..without having to find a CD and hope it isnt scratched or broken,...find a manual for the CD key, etc,...instead I can just download steam and get every game I have bought from them right there at my fingertips.

You dont have the activation hassles,....you just log in. You dont have to worry if you have exceeded your download limit, or time limit,...etc.

So to me, of all the DD outlets steam, is by far the easiest and most convenient to use.

But of course that is just my opinion.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

You know what I've spent the ENTIRE weekend playing? Plants versus Zombies. £6 from Steam and the best little addictive game I've played in a long time.

Kids love it too

I played that demo and it was fun!
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

See thats where some of the negatives listed here are actually positives to me. I have found far too many games for other DD outlets, are just too large to burn to a single CD, and I havent invested in a DVD burner yet (about to build a new PC that will have one).

I like to be able to download my game anytime I choose,...as many times as I choose,..without having to find a CD and hope it isnt scratched or broken,...find a manual for the CD key, etc,...instead I can just download steam and get every game I have bought from them right there at my fingertips.

You dont have the activation hassles,....you just log in. You dont have to worry if you have exceeded your download limit, or time limit,...etc.

So to me, of all the DD outlets steam, is by far the easiest and most convenient to use.

You have good valid reasons to like it. I have been doing a lot of research on my own into Steam. That's why the questions here. I have read everything I could at their site, I have also read a lot on their forums. I also did some searches for complaints and read those. However, most of the complaints were from users that were clueless to computers and how they function. Like working with files.

I very much understand why a gamer would not want to store saved CD's. I have lots and I am tired of the boxes. Maybe they will get played again, maybe not. And the bargain bins are full of what I have saved for pennies on the dollar. I understand why Steam would be a welcome choice.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Kids love it too

Oof...the addiction present in that game is frightening! It spent quite a few evenings as my primary game to play. [X(][:D]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: LarryP
ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

You have good valid reasons to like it. I have been doing a lot of research on my own into Steam. That's why the questions here. I have read everything I could at their site, I have also read a lot on their forums. I also did some searches for complaints and read those. However, most of the complaints were from users that were clueless to computers and how they function. Like working with files.

I very much understand why a gamer would not want to store saved CD's. I have lots and I am tired of the boxes. Maybe they will get played again, maybe not. And the bargain bins are full of what I have saved for pennies on the dollar. I understand why Steam would be a welcome choice.

When Steam first came out, I boycotted it for years, and I thought it was horrible DRM. Then early last year, I decided I was fed up with buy retail copies with CDs or DVDs. Just tired of keeping them around so long. So I started paying more attention to download stores.

The thing that sucked me in with Steam is I tried a few cheap games on their weekend deals. I think I got the orange box with Half Life 2, and Portal, and more games in it for a dirt cheap price. Then I picked up Plants vs. Zombies on another weekend deal. Then this past holiday season was the first time I paid attention to Steam during a holidayseason, and I went nuts. I averaged under $4 a game that I bought. It will probably take me all of this year to play them every game I bought. I absolutely love steam at this point.

With that said, it's very much buyer beware, and you must do you due diligence as a buyer to make sure that a game will run on your box before buying. Make sure that you are happy with the patch level, and it's compatible with your OS/vid card/...

NefariousKoel

Post by NefariousKoel »

ORIGINAL: Emobama

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Oh! Is that me? [8|]

Too bad. I still think Steam sucks so much even your mother could take some lessons.

[:'(]
< smiley face
You win. My mom does not suck. I'm sure your mother needs no lessons in sucking.

On the other hand on the front page of CNN today:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/09/ces.apps/index.html

I am sure the future will miss the people on this board who cannot adapt. [:D]

Uh oh! DOOM!

Someone who gets their tech info from CNN has relayed that The Turner Network declared the end is nigh!

Whatever shall we do? [X(]
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Never mind.
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Well, it looks like this thread ran out of Steam!
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

Oof. That was quite the play on words. [X(]

And dammit, I wish I'd said it! [:D]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
JWW

Post by JWW »

But not before a couple of people got steamed.
htuna

Post by htuna »

LOL it lasted longer than the Sale! [;)]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Oof. That was quite the play on words. [X(]

And dammit, I wish I'd said it! [:D]

I love puns and I couldn't pass this one up. [8D]
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

LOL it lasted longer than the Sale! [;)]

Do not fear; the condensation is well on its way through the sewer system. It will soon reappear in its gaseous hot air form.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: JW

But not before a couple of people got steamed.

Yeah, and just as I rejoined Steam to evaluate it. Oh well. [8|]
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Well said! And true. Steamy subjects like this one always find their way back. This one in particular. [X(]
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Ooo, you traitor! I'm never speaking to you again Larry! [:'(]
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H
Ooo, you traitor! I'm never speaking to you again Larry! [:'(]

I knew this would draw attention back into this thread. Remember though, I'm known as a big liar. Tread carefully when dealing with me. [:D] [;)]
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

I knew this would draw attention back into this thread. Remember though, I'm known as a big liar. Tread carefully when dealing with me. [:D] [;)]
Well, I'm really disappointed that you have gone to the Dark Side. Based on my earlier post some pages back, I guess this means I think you are an idiot lol!! [:D] [:'(]

Emobama has gone uncharacteristically (what a hard word to type quickly!) quiet. Has he run away?
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

ORIGINAL: Jim_H
Well, I'm really disappointed that you have gone to the Dark Side. Based on my earlier post some pages back, I guess this means I think you are an idiot lol!! [:D] [:'(]

I already knew that. I prove that to myself everyday when I wake up. [:)]

I played a demo of Torchlight and found out that the purchased version had SecuRom. I liked the game but in no way was I going to install that garbage DRM. I got to checking into Steam more through their forums and also did a global search through Google about complaints. I posted some questions in their forums and decided that since XP is easy to install (if I had to), I would give them another try.

Long story short, I have been playing Torchlight offline and the entire process worked perfect. I have it installed to my F: partition which I use for games only. I also figured out how to use the firewall and virus protection along with it so I am safe, well, as safe as I can expect. I am never online with them unprotected and when I play I am not online. While playing, I also use the option in my Comodo firewall to "block all traffic." That way nothing or nobody can come through my Internet connection. I lack trust. [:D]

By the way, Torchlight is one of the best games I have ever played in the RPG-Action genre. It also plays well on my laptop which can overheat easily. Not with this game. They did it right. Great game for $20. However, it was only $10 over the holidays but I missed that deal, as I was over here arguing. [;)] [:@]

Return to “General Discussion”