Distant Worlds video available

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

elliotg

Distant Worlds video available

Post by elliotg »

An introductory video showcasing Distant Worlds gameplay is now available at the link below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGG9AVI2mSI

Enjoy!
EisenHammer

RE: Distant Worlds video available

Post by EisenHammer »

Nice.[8D]
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

Coooool![8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

Now that is my kind of game. Lovely huge galaxy.

Too bad it is not Star Trek/Star Wars/Babylon 5 based (each of 3 universes lack strategy of such magnitude), but still pretty promising from that tiny (literally) trailer.

What about modding? (Yes, yes, I know game still in production and I starting with modding! [:D])

Bring it on.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

ORIGINAL: ypsylon

Now that is my kind of game. Lovely huge galaxy.

Too bad it is not Star Trek/Star Wars/Babylon 5 based (each of 3 universes lack strategy of such magnitude), but still pretty promising from that tiny (literally) trailer.

What about modding? (Yes, yes, I know game still in production and I starting with modding! [:D])

Bring it on.

From the developer's website"
Built-in Customization: modify all ship art, alien races, and much more. Switch between different customization sets with a couple of mouse clicks from the main game menu

So it should be "easy" to create Star Trek/Star Wars/Babylon 5 mods.....[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

We should see very quickly these types of mods...i am looking forward to play them. [;)]
Plodder

Post by Plodder »

Looks outstanding. Good to see a kiwi company doing games like these too. [:)]
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Can you organize ships into fleets?
Can you glass planets?
how deep is the diplomacy and how many Alien scum are there to kill?
Do the races have any unique attributes?
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
Can you organize ships into fleets?
Yes, you can assign ships to fleets, and control the fleet instead of individual ships
Can you glass planets?
If you search the galaxy enough, I'm sure you'll find ways to completely destroy planets [;)]
how deep is the diplomacy and how many Alien scum are there to kill?
You can negotiate various types of treaties: Free Trade, Mutual Defense, Protectorates. Also impose Trade Sanctions and initiate blockades of enemy colonies. At the end of a war you can force the losing empire into a Subjugated Dominion arrangement, where you have full visibility of their empire and they pay you annual tribute.

Full trade negotiations allow you to buy and sell maps, tech, colonies, bases, offer to end or start wars with 3rd parties, or threaten war or trade sanctions. This is somewhat similar to Civ4 where you discuss these types of things with other empires.

You can have up to 20 empires in a game. Plus dozens of pirate factions that you can interact with and make secret arrangements with.
Do the races have any unique attributes?
There are 20 playable races in the game (including humans). Each have their own personality and bonuses. The personality traits make a big difference to how each race plays the game.

All races are fully moddable by editing a simple text file.
ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

ORIGINAL: elliotg

All races are fully moddable by editing a simple text file.
Simply glorious piece of news. [:D]
Xenoform21

Post by Xenoform21 »

I'm curious as to how much the races will effect the look and feel of gameplay? Is it simply humans are blue and alien 1 is green and alien 2 is purple?
Also, is there a specific cap on how large your empire can grow? Or are you free to build so long as you can pay for it.
Lastly, will there be a period for beta testing, and how can you become a part of it?
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: Xenoform21
I'm curious as to how much the races will effect the look and feel of gameplay? Is it simply humans are blue and alien 1 is green and alien 2 is purple?
Also, is there a specific cap on how large your empire can grow? Or are you free to build so long as you can pay for it.
Lastly, will there be a period for beta testing, and how can you become a part of it?
Each of the 20 included races have their own unique personality defined by a set of characteristics like friendliness, aggressiveness, intelligence, caution, loyalty, etc. These racial characteristics are used extensively throughout the game to influence how AI empires play, what decisions they make, etc.

As mentioned before, all races can be modified by editing a simple text file.

Each race also has their own unique artwork, including largely unique ships and bases. Races are also organized into families - some races are related to each other, e.g. reptilian, insectoid, humanoid, etc.

There is no cap on empire growth, except the size of the galaxy itself.

Beta-testing is already completed, sorry.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

...Beta-testing is already completed, sorry.

Sounds like release should be very close then. [;)]
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

Hi, I have one question.

Can two different races live in the same solar system/planet ?
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

ORIGINAL: EisenHammer

Hi, I have one question.

Yes, multiple alien races can inhabit the same planet. If you have large populations of other races in your empire you also benefit from their racial bonuses.
EisenHammer

Post by EisenHammer »

Awesome... Looking forward too getting this when it's release.

I'm a big 4x fan.

And I can't wait to get my hands on this one.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Hi, I have one question.

Yes, multiple alien races can inhabit the same planet. If you have large populations of other races in your empire you also benefit from their racial bonuses.

Will this cause unrest? I would not want prawns living near my area.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Hi, I have one question.

Will this cause unrest? I would not want prawns living near my area.
No, having different alien populations at a colony generally does not cause unrest - would be too much to handle otherwise.

One exception to this is when your empire is at war with another empire: if the dominant alien population of one of your colonies (i.e. the race with the highest population) is the same as the race you are at war with, then your colony's unrest will increase - not unmanageable, but they won't like you being at war with their race.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

Is there politics in the game.Can you just conquer every alien or indepedant planets and turn into a snowball without any consequence.I am thinking with such a huge map is the endgame interesting.I always find 4X games get dull when you have no threats in the middle to end game.
elliotg

Post by elliotg »

Is there politics in the game.Can you just conquer every alien or indepedant planets and turn into a snowball without any consequence.I am thinking with such a huge map is the endgame interesting.I always find 4X games get dull when you have no threats in the middle to end game.
Every empire has a reputation that rises or falls depending on their noble or evil actions. When your reputation with other empires is poor, they are unlikely to ally themselves with you, and may even turn on you. A poor reputation also increases internal unrest at your colonies, and can even lead to civil wars and breakaway empires.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”