New Player Question

Pacific War is a free update of the old classic, available in our Downloads section.
rooivalk

New Player Question

Post by rooivalk »

I downloaded 3.2 Matrix version and spend a few weeks playing Pacific War. I have printed and read all the documentation. Is there any other documentation available that can assist me with the learning curve? I have done a search through the forum but the links I found are no longer functional.

Rooivalk
At Fiddler’s Green, where seamen true, when here they’ve done their duty, The bowl of grog shall still renew and pledge to love and beauty
Capt. Harlock

RE: New Player Question

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Which document files exactly have you read? There are a number of addendums by the time you go to Version 3.2.

There is also a "data card" which came with the original boxed version of the game, which has a number of little-known extra rules:
Attachments
PacWarDataCard.txt
(14.41 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
Skipjack_

Post by Skipjack_ »

A couple of the more useful downloads are PACWARED21 (Excel-based editor) and PACWARDOCS (manual, notes on changes from v2.2 to the present).
I do not know where you can find them online, but PM me and I could email them to you.

Cheers, Skipjack
rooivalk

Post by rooivalk »

Thank you for the responses

Capt, I have read all documents that came with the Matrix version 3.2, I have downloaded the "data card" and added to my collection of quickly growing PW documentation :), guess what I am really looking for is a "newbie guide"

Skipjack, PM on the way

Rooivalk

At Fiddler’s Green, where seamen true, when here they’ve done their duty, The bowl of grog shall still renew and pledge to love and beauty
jomni

Post by jomni »

did you read the manual?
i would suggest www.replacementdocs.com but it's down.
rooivalk

Post by rooivalk »

jomni I have read the manual and am starting to grt to grips with this amazing simulation'

rooivalk
tombo

Post by tombo »

Newbe here...

Playing the Jap side...i wanted to plan a amph invasion and as i prepared for it (force size, etc) i realized i had no way to see what the estimate enemy forces were at that location. Does SIGINT work for both sides?

How do u plan if no recon available?

thanks
Skipjack_

Post by Skipjack_ »

ORIGINAL: tombo

Newbe here...

Playing the Jap side...i wanted to plan a amph invasion and as i prepared for it (force size, etc) i realized i had no way to see what the estimate enemy forces were at that location. Does SIGINT work for both sides?

How do u plan if no recon available?

thanks

Greetings! Sorry to say SIGINT is only given to the allies. So the only options to find out what the enemy has is usually by bombardment / surface combat TF going to your destination to find out. Unfortunately that will give away your intentions [:(] Air attacks by LBA on ground units will sometime give you some information, also.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

So the only options to find out what the enemy has is usually by bombardment / surface combat TF going to your destination to find out. Unfortunately that will give away your intentions Air attacks by LBA on ground units will sometime give you some information, also.

Two points: first, the intentions of the Japanese aren't hard to figure out, with the possible exception of the Aleutians. Second, many Allied LCU's at the start of the game are basically useless: knowing how many troops are there doesn't tell you how stiff the resistance will be.

Lastly, if you're playing a human opponent, you may want to make a House Rule against bombarding Singapore and Manila, because of the major coast defense guns protecting them.
Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo
tombo

Post by tombo »

Thanks Skipjack...that helps. I should've thought of that.

Capt.H...im not too familiar with the force strenghts of the Allies as u suggest, so i need to recon. for example, I would like to amph assault Midway...how did u handle this before u mastered the game?

Also, the AC ZOCs...do they represent Recon too or just strike? 
and lastly, for Air TF reaction setting...is more better. Not sure how to use.

thanks in advanced.
Chef

Post by Chef »

For intel as the japanese you could always send a bombardment taskforce to hit a target. If you have the settings on high for info during the bombardment you should see the names of the enemy units being bombarded plus a look at force strength it is bombarding...if I recall correctly. Against a human obviously you are telegraphing you intentions a bit if you don't mix it up a little.

TF reaction setting can be a double edge sword. If your TF reacts to go outside your land based air range and into the enemy's land based air (or overwhleming carrier TF) you could be in a world of hurt.
Capt. Harlock

Post by Capt. Harlock »

Capt.H...im not too familiar with the force strenghts of the Allies as u suggest, so i need to recon. for example, I would like to amph assault Midway...how did u handle this before u mastered the game?

I confess I kind of cheated. I learned the game playing the Allied side, so when I played the Japanese I was already familiar with the Allied OOB. (Midway and most of the other American-held islands tend to be garrisoned by a single Marine battalion, small but experienced.)

When playing a human player, the Air ZOC's can be used to some advantage. Make a habit of raiding bases with large ZOC's (which you can see without using SIGINT). That way, your opponent doesn't know if you're doing pre-invasion bombardment or trying to destroy aircraft on the ground.

--Victor Hugo

Return to “Pacific War: The Matrix Edition”