Game wont install

Post bug reports and request technical assistance here.

Moderators: simovitch, warshipbuilder

ornate_mig

Game wont install

Post by ornate_mig »

Got ED2BOTR yesterday to take on holiday but i cant get it to install. Have tried it on 5 computers and keep getting the message."Setup Application has encountered a problem and needs to close"
Any ideas please

Alistair Pearce

Forgot to say i got the game on disk NO download
harley

RE: Game wont install

Post by harley »

Sorry, Alistair, there's not much we can do unless Erik Rutins pops in, as we're just the coders.

Is it possible for you to try the download version? Maybe you just got a bad disk?

We run the game on all sorts of hardware, with XP, Vista and Win7, 32 and 64 bit, so I doubt all 5 of your computers are not compatible. My money is on the disk.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

Got Eagle Day (and operation Barbarossa) yesterday as Xmas presents, and am having the same problem as above on both when trying to install today. Both on hard disc not as downloads.- So unless a big faulty disc problem that sounds unlikely.

Edit- Running Windows Xp on a Intel i7 quad core with ATi Radeon HD4800 graphics card
ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

Now that we are over the holidays i hope its ok to bring my question back to the top
Thanks
sprior

Post by sprior »

Are you logged onto the box as an administrator?
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

administrator?
Yes logged on as administrator on all computers
Exploring the disk it seems to contain Auto run and one very large file .
Thanks
Alistair
ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

Well considering my Wife paid just over £40.00 for this game (a lot of money for a game in the UK) i'm a little disappointed in the lack of help from Matrix.Still cant install the game and i'v had no response after putting my problem on Tech support.I dont want my money back just some plan of action on how to solve it.Surely all i need is access to download it as this would have cost no more if it had been requested at the time of Order.

Please please Matrix let me know you care!
harley

Post by harley »

Hang in there. It's the silly season, and the staff are probably taking a much needed break with their families. I'm sure they won't be much longer. 
Andrew Loveridge

Post by Andrew Loveridge »

Could you attach a DxDiag for the Computer you are most likely to play this on. You can learn how to do that here, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2248172 , if you don't know how.

Also could you send me your order number in a PM and I will talk to Digital River, to see if it is something on their end.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: ornate_mig
administrator?
Yes logged on as administrator on all computers
Exploring the disk it seems to contain Auto run and one very large file .
Thanks
Alistair

Just a thought

Move the "very large file" to the desktop and try executing it from there. If it is the same self-contained module as the download it will work fine from there and at least that gets the disk out of the install process. If it is not the same module, you have not lost more than a few minutes trying it.
ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

Yes i coppied the file to desktop and tried opening from ther but get the same message" Setup Application has encountered a problem and needs to close".I have tried this on 3 computers.
wangeye

Post by wangeye »

Actually have 3 copies of OBTSFR and none of them install same issue as above, irony that we should all have this issue, and yes the 3 copies i have are all CD's not downloads. I did ask support about the issue and they sent me a new disk because they thought it would be a scratched cd but i have the same issue with the only they gave me! I have now used all 3 cd's on 3 different computers. 2 of them run Vista the other XP all had the same issue.

Not happy...
ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

Matrix have sent another disc however the same problem .Is there a production run all with currupted setup files ?

I guess most people get the game by download or download and disc so only a very small percentage install off the disk.

Can anyone here try their discs to see if it works ?

Alistair
ornate_mig

Post by ornate_mig »

[:)] Download worked with no problems so i recon it must be the discs.

Now to read and understand the manual.

Thanks for the help and a positive conclusion.

Alistair
davidgillsol

Post by davidgillsol »

Well after posting to the tech support I have had no reply in asking for a download to avoid having to send back the discs and seeking a refund- not like Matrix normal good service
harley

Post by harley »

Well after posting to the tech support I have had no reply in asking for a download to avoid having to send back the discs and seeking a refund- not like Matrix normal good service

Remember that it is the holidays. Andrew has requested ornate_mig PM him directly, perhaps you could do the same, or try the offical support channel. Your message was posted right after Christmas, and may well have been missed.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but as I've said before, I'm just a coder.
harley

Post by harley »

I can't sticky a thread in tech support, but the following announcement is on the Matrix News page at present:

Announcement to Customers: Replacement of Defective CDs

Return to “Tech Support”