When?

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

NeverMan

RE: When?

Post by NeverMan »

ORIGINAL: borner

Neverman, let's hope there is not a rush to release as in EiA. It seems the deisgners are trying to get everything taken care of before release. If it even takes another year, that would be well worth it!  ANDYB, one of the small things that makes the game so great is you never know how long turns will be, summer turns have more impusles than winter ones. This alone adds a unique ( in my experience anyway) aspect to the game.

Yeah, I agree, though one would think WiF would be much simpler to write than EiA.
Ohio Jones

Post by Ohio Jones »

You've had a busy year, Steve -- congrats on all you've accomplished, and best wishes for everythig in 2010 - both WiF and otherwise. [&o]
"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies." - Churchill
Droop21

Post by Droop21 »

Best wishes of health, happiness and success (including a finished MWIF product if I might add a selfish component to the wishes [;)]) to you and yours for 2010
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF during 2006.
Tasks for 2007
Finish MWIF product 1.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF during 2007.
Tasks for 200(8)
Finish MWIF product 1 for Origins 2008.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF in 2008.
Tasks for 2009
Finish MWIF product 1 this spring.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF this past year.
Tasks for 2010
Finish MWIF product 1 so I can buy a large screen, flat panel, HD TV.

Sunriiiiiise, sunset... Sunriiiiiiiiise, sunset... Swiftlyyyyyyy fly the years, THE YEEEEEEEEAAAAARS!!!!
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF during 2006.
Tasks for 2007
Finish MWIF product 1.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF during 2007.
Tasks for 200(8)
Finish MWIF product 1 for Origins 2008.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF in 2008.
Tasks for 2009
Finish MWIF product 1 this spring.

To all, I say thank you for your help on MWIF this past year.
Tasks for 2010

Sunriiiiiise, sunset... Sunriiiiiiiiise, sunset... Swiftlyyyyyyy fly the years, THE YEEEEEEEEAAAAARS!!!!
Yep.

I see you have already made 7 posts. Before your next, try counting to 11,000.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

11,000... coincidentally, that's how many release dates you've missed.

ypsylon

Post by ypsylon »

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Tasks for 2010

Good report.

But in all honestly before this game is released HD TV will be completely obsolete. [:D][;)]

Keep up great work. Bring it on!*

* - Just bought recently Distant Guns from SES, to keep me going when waiting for WIF. Looking forward to see [finally!] WIF as my New Year special purchase on Jan 1st 2011.
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

Let's cut the crap. It's time to be done with amateur hour, and with a company that could care less if WiF is ever played on computer. CWiF (let's not prolong the joke that is 'MWiF') is being held hostage by Matrix. Not sure what type of deal ADG got snookered into, but if there is any means of reverting the computer rights, they need to be turned around and shopped to companies actually interested in completing and releasing the game.

Seven years, folks. Shannon you tried, but this task is plainly beyond the abilities of yourself and a cast of volunteers - whether that's due to a lack of support or talent doesn't matter. At least moving on will save you the indignity of cutting-and-pasting more New Year's Resolutions to be broken. Time to set fanboy-ery aside and put away the silly [&o] smileys. After seven years, the current product is functionally indistinguishable from the old beta I play every week - limited scenarios and no AI. That's all that really matters. Graphics are sweetened, there're historical descriptions, and some bugs removed? BIG F'IN DEAL.

At some point, results have to trump effort. After seven years with Matrix, CWiF still hasn't reached that point, and so it's time to admit the failure of the current model and look elsewhere. That's not going to happen if every too-little effort is celebrated, every noble failure is backslapped and 'atta-boyed, and every New Year is celebrated with the same tired thank yous and prayers for progress. I've written this post to encourage Matrix and Shannon to step away honorably. I'll email ADG with the same thoughts and an exhortation to find a company worthy of the CWiF brand. Not sure what I else I can do. I hope others will join me in taking off their rose-colored glasses and embarking on a course of action that might result in the CWiF product we deserve.
wworld7

Post by wworld7 »

Not sure what I else I can do.

I have two ideas:

1) Try growing up and understanding you cannot always get what you want.

2) Open up your checkbook and buy the rights from ADG and Matrix and then do it the way you want.

Good luck!
Flipper
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

Not sure what I else I can do.

I have two ideas:

1) Try growing up and understanding you cannot always get what you want.

2) Open up your checkbook and buy the rights from ADG and Matrix and then do it the way you want.

Good luck!

Can't I ask for what I want? That's what I'm doing here. If you have anything to say about the content of my post, rather than me, I'd appreciate hearing your perspective. You've been around here even longer than I have, so if you are happy with the progress and feel these last seven years have been well spent, let me know.
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

Let's cut the crap. It's time to be done with amateur hour, and with a company that could care less if WiF is ever played on computer. CWiF (let's not prolong the joke that is 'MWiF') is being held hostage by Matrix. Not sure what type of deal ADG got snookered into, but if there is any means of reverting the computer rights, they need to be turned around and shopped to companies actually interested in completing and releasing the game.

Seven years, folks. Shannon you tried, but this task is plainly beyond the abilities of yourself and a cast of volunteers - whether that's due to a lack of support or talent doesn't matter. At least moving on will save you the indignity of cutting-and-pasting more New Year's Resolutions to be broken. Time to set fanboy-ery aside and put away the silly [&o] smileys. After seven years, the current product is functionally indistinguishable from the old beta I play every week - limited scenarios and no AI. That's all that really matters. Graphics are sweetened, there're historical descriptions, and some bugs removed? BIG F'IN DEAL.

At some point, results have to trump effort. After seven years with Matrix, CWiF still hasn't reached that point, and so it's time to admit the failure of the current model and look elsewhere. That's not going to happen if every too-little effort is celebrated, every noble failure is backslapped and 'atta-boyed, and every New Year is celebrated with the same tired thank yous and prayers for progress. I've written this post to encourage Matrix and Shannon to step away honorably. I'll email ADG with the same thoughts and an exhortation to find a company worthy of the CWiF brand. Not sure what I else I can do. I hope others will join me in taking off their rose-colored glasses and embarking on a course of action that might result in the CWiF product we deserve.

clearly you don´t know anything.[:-]

i´m one of the testers. and the game is almost finished.

I hate people that take about something they don´t know anything about. [:@] [:@]
the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Hanal

Post by Hanal »

After reading all the bull that michaelbaldur wrote, his very last line is the most telling...."embarking on a course of action that might result in the CWiF product we deserve."

I got news for you asshole....neither you, I, nor anyone else deserves anything!
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

I hate people that take about something they don´t know anything about. [:@] [:@]

Shannon's latest update would seem to disagree with your assessment:

"Project Management
About mid-year I had a long conversation with David Heath and Erik Rutins. All of us want MWIF to be bug-free (to the best of our knowledge) before release. Presently there are too many bugs and I really don’t know how long it will take me to fix them all."

And of course, that's just bugs. AI? Best case scenario is 4 of 11 scenarios, at some indeterminate time. The list goes on.

I'm am curious to hear from a tester, though: How does the current version differ significantly from the original ADG beta?
CrusssDaddy

Post by CrusssDaddy »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

After reading all the bull that michaelbaldur wrote, his very last line is the most telling...."embarking on a course of action that might result in the CWiF product we deserve."

I got news for you asshole....neither you, I, nor anyone else deserves anything!

I think you're a little confused about who wrote the bull (and is, presumably, the asshole): michaelbaldur's on your team. But in any case, you should have a little more esteem for yourself. Once again, I'd love to hear responses that discuss content, not fanboy ad hominems.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

I think you're a little confused about who wrote the bull (and is, presumably, the asshole): michaelbaldur's on your team. But in any case, you should have a little more esteem for yourself. Once again, I'd love to hear responses that discuss content, not fanboy ad hominems.
Content:
CWIF contained only 3 scenarios.
CWIF had a much shorter list of optional rules & WIF add-ons.
CWIF graphics were designed to run under Win98; they had no resemblance to the WIF FE map. The counters had no bitmap graphics for individaul units.
CWIF had two pages of doumentation (a TXT file). There was no documentation on the game itself other than a reference to the ADG PDF file of the rules.
CWIF was only for play on 1 computer.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
composer99

Post by composer99 »

Crusss:

If you have bothered to go back through this thread to cut and paste hoped-for release dates of MWiF, then you might also have read the various explanations as to why the development programme implemented by Matrix is appropriate for this game (among other reasons, its niche-market status). If you disagree, perhaps you can explain to us how WiF can appeal to a large enough market to justify the expense of a team of developers and support personnel and the recruitment of dozens/hundreds of testers to get it out the door more quickly?

Since you are the one making the claim that the rights to WiF need to be "turned around and shopped to companies actually interested in completing and releasing the game" it is up to you to demonstrate that such companies exist. You are also the one claiming that "CWiF [...] is being held hostage by Matrix" so it is your responsibility to provide evidence that this is true. The thousands of forum posts here show that Steve and the various contributing volunteers have been working steadily at bringing the game to completion, so I am not certain how you can justify the 'hostage' comment.

With regards to your comment: "After seven years, the current product is functionally indistinguishable from the old beta I play every week - limited scenarios and no AI." Once again, this is your claim. It is up to you to prove you are right. It is not up to current beta testers to prove you wrong.

It is all well and good to complain about delays in the release of the game, but unless the people doing so are able to articulate superior alternatives to the current manner in which MWiF is being developed, then the developers and us 'fanboys' have no reason to do anything but dismiss it as bellyaching. Personally speaking, I don't have anything against bellyaching, but unless there is more than just 'this game is taking too long to come out!' behind it then why should I, or anyone else, take it seriously?

And finally, CrusssDaddy, you appear to be mis-applying the ad hominem fallacy. Since you do not appear to have come forward with any "content" to discuss, it is hard to see how anyone who has disparaged you is distracting the rest of us from your arguments via their insults.
~ Composer99
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

I think that Steve's last words in this new year wishes were, well, not appropriated. It is no wonder that it will trigger such reaction.

I understand most people dilemma that not showing support to Steve might draw him out of the project without any back up plan. But at the same time, some of us would like more commitment (as in more people doing the job) or, at least, no fancy deadline. This will be a recurring toppic everytime a reference to the completion of the game will be made.

Let's cool down.

Best regards

Skanvak
michaelbaldur

Post by michaelbaldur »

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

Shannon's latest update would seem to disagree with your assessment:

"Project Management
About mid-year I had a long conversation with David Heath and Erik Rutins. All of us want MWIF to be bug-free (to the best of our knowledge) before release. Presently there are too many bugs and I really don’t know how long it will take me to fix them all."

And of course, that's just bugs. AI? Best case scenario is 4 of 11 scenarios, at some indeterminate time. The list goes on.

I'm am curious to hear from a tester, though: How does the current version differ significantly from the original ADG beta?
yes there are bugs. but the game is playable. we just need to fix the last bugs.

I will buy you a version of the game. if the game is not released in 2010.

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

I will buy you a version of the game. if the game is not released in 2010.

Could I have one too?

Best regards

Skanvak
koontz

Post by koontz »

q1? q2?
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.

"All warfare is based on deception. There is no place where espionage is not used. Offer the enemy bait to lure him."

Return to “World in Flames”