Where are my pilots going?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CapAndGown

Where are my pilots going?

Post by CapAndGown »

I have been pulling pilots out of the general reserve through the "request veteran" function. But rather than showing up in the pilot list for that formation, or in its reserve list, they just disappear. Where are they going? How do I know if I have successfully "requested a veteran?"

Also, for some reason the 55 IF Chutai will not let me put pilots directly into the general reserve. Instead, you can put them into the group reserve, then go to another unit and do the "request veteran" thing, at which time you can pull them out of the 55 IF Chutai reserve and put them into the general reserve.

Devs - this pilot transfer thing is really hard to use if I can't keep track of how many pilots I have requested. Please have the "request veteran" option instantly put them into the squadron reserve, even if they are delayed for several day![&o]
CMDRMCTOAST

RE: Where are my pilots going?

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

You have to click a second time for the pilot to go from group reserve to general reserve
The essence of military genius is to bring under
consideration all of the tendencies of the mind
and soul in combination towards the business of
war..... Karl von Clausewitz
CMDRMCTOAST

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

I have been pulling pilots out of the general reserve through the "request veteran" function. But rather than showing up in the pilot list for that formation, or in its reserve list, they just disappear. Where are they going? How do I know if I have successfully "requested a veteran?"

Sometimes it takes a day or two to show up..
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: CMDRMCTOAST

This is exactly the problem I am talking about!
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

You have to click a second time for the pilot to go from group reserve to general reserve

You can't do that with the 54 IF Chutai for some reason.

<edited - I had the number wrong, it is not 55 but 54.
CMDRMCTOAST

Post by CMDRMCTOAST »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

I have the same issue as I just tested it in my game...
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

I have exactly the same problem. The total number of pilots in the squadron when I press the veteran button does not change, as well as the number in bracket which shows the pending pilots.
castor troy

Post by castor troy »

Unfortunately there seems to be something like the "leader vanish bug" has changed into the "pilot vanish bug". Mostly it works to get the pilots from the reserve pool into the squadron (even though the numbers of pilots and the number in brackets doesn´t change at all and you could draw your complete reserve pool into one squadron [8|]). But I guess 1 out of 5 pilots just vanish. I took once the time to note the name of the pilots requested into a certain squadron and while most showed up (with different delays) some just vanished.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

My observations:

*If you request a pilot that is not currently available on the POOL pilot display (has an arrival date of 04/42 for example), then if you assign them to a group they will NOT appear on the GROUP pilot screen. You will still see them on the POOL pilot screen with an assignment changes from "Fighter Reserve" to "Akagi-1" for example, but if you go to Akagi-1 and look at the list of pilots, he won't be on there.

*The pilot will appear on the Group pilot screen when there is no longer any availability date on the POOL screen. The pilot will appear with a delay number of 1 to 6. When it gets to one, you can assign pilot to "Active".

I THINK this is how it works. It also means I have stopped allowing the AI to pick a pilot, and I assign all pilots manually.

If you wait long enough, all those pilots you think are missing, will start showing up for work at the airgroup pilot screen.

It would be helpful if others would confirm my understanding, because I am a bit hazy on it myself all around.
pompack

Post by pompack »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

My observations:

*If you request a pilot that is not currently available on the POOL pilot display (has an arrival date of 04/42 for example), then if you assign them to a group they will NOT appear on the GROUP pilot screen. You will still see them on the POOL pilot screen with an assignment changes from "Fighter Reserve" to "Akagi-1" for example, but if you go to Akagi-1 and look at the list of pilots, he won't be on there.

*The pilot will appear on the Group pilot screen when there is no longer any availability date on the POOL screen. The pilot will appear with a delay number of 1 to 6. When it gets to one, you can assign pilot to "Active".

I THINK this is how it works. It also means I have stopped allowing the AI to pick a pilot, and I assign all pilots manually.

If you wait long enough, all those pilots you think are missing, will start showing up for work at the airgroup pilot screen.

It would be helpful if others would confirm my understanding, because I am a bit hazy on it myself all around.

That is what I have observed.

Now for a more nebulous comment: Note that the delay in the General reserve list is in different units from the delay noted in the pilots list. One is in days and the other in either weeks or months (I think). maybe. Possilbly? [:)]
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

ORIGINAL: pompack
Now for a more nebulous comment: Note that the delay in the General reserve list is in different units from the delay noted in the pilots list. One is in days and the other in either weeks or months (I think). maybe. Possilbly? [:)]

The delay number in General Reserve I don't trust. Not sure why. Maybe it IS in weeks? I have noticed that when you assign a pilot to RESERVE, they always are available in same month or shortly thereafter, but that date can "roll" to the next month as well.

PS: My mother-in-law just got a Pom puppy. A very likeable pup and fun, but let's just say I won't be getting a Pom puppy anytime soon.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

My observations:

I don't trust the computer to automatically assign my pilots either. Even though its costly in terms of micromanagement, I find it best to cherry pick the pilots from my training groups / frontline groups for replacement. This is particularly true for KB and mini-KB pilots.

So: I select pilots from my training or frontline Daitai or Chutai. A left click on them puts them on 'group reserve', IIRC. The next day I'll go to the recipient Daitai or Chutai and find the specific pilot from the specific group that I put on group reserve the day previously. I've never had one NOT be there and transfer (with appropriate arrival delay). But, then again, I've only been running the patch II with hotfix for about a week, so I'm pretty unskilled in this process.

I've got to say though that I really like the idea of cherry picking TRACOM or group elite pilots for different roles. It ought to keep my IJNAF skill levels competitive for some time.
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: cap_and_gown

Most likely, you have no excess pilots to rotate to general reserve. Pull in some additional replacement pilots (make sure they are the low XP replacement pool pilots!) so there are more pilots than the squadron size. Then you should be able to put the group reserve pilots into general reserve.

myros

Post by myros »

Also when you request certain veterans that are not available right away they will dissapear from the pilots request&nbsp;screen and show up on the main pilots list (replacement pilots option from score screen), if you sort it by unit you will see the air unit listed and the pilot with an arrival month/year ... he will show up sometime during that listed month. He doesnt show in the air unit own pilots list until he has arrived in theatre.
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: myros

Also when you request certain veterans that are not available right away they will dissapear from the pilots request screen and show up on the main pilots list (replacement pilots option from score screen), if you sort it by unit you will see the air unit listed and the pilot with an arrival month/year ... he will show up sometime during that listed month. He doesnt show in the air unit own pilots list until he has arrived in theatre.

Well this needs to be changed. Everything about the GUI for this game is user hostile. This is too. I want the pilot to show up right away with whatever delay is necessary, even if it is weeks away.
88l71

Post by 88l71 »

So...I take it the next patch contains an "improvement" where we have to manually sight in each infantryman's rifle before a battle, and have to click a button to change the tracks on our AFV's too?
CapAndGown

Post by CapAndGown »

ORIGINAL: 88l71

So...I take it the next patch contains an "improvement" where we have to manually sight in each infantryman's rifle before a battle, and have to click a button to change the tracks on our AFV's too?

[:D] I am sure some of the folks around here have asked for this option. [;)]
jomni

Post by jomni »

I'm not sold into micromanaging at this level.&nbsp; I just leave the computer to do the picking.

michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

Group Pilot pool delays:
The pilot lists accesed from the Group screen show only pilots with a delay of 1 to 6 days (it should really be 1-7 days and will be fixed next patch). The delay is shown in the last column.
[The rationale for the the limited delay view is that this is suppose to be a short term snapshot view of where pilots are. For long-term view, the old pilot lists are still available through the Pilot Replacement screen.
For some Allied groups, there can be a massive number of 'delayed' pilots for some groups. It seems sometimes that the list has every pilot who flew with some group mentioned.][:D]

All transfer delays take the maximum of the pilot's normal delay or a value from following random number range;
(a) Transfer from GeneralR to a Group : 1 - 14 days
(b) Transfer from TRACOM to a Group : 1 - 7 days
(c) Transfer from Group to GeneralR : 1 -14 days
(d) Trasfer from Group to another Group : 1 -7 days
If the new delay is less than 7 days, then the pilot will show up the Group's Pilot list.

Michael
michaelm75au

Post by michaelm75au »

The actual delay is always in days. At end of each turn, the delay is decreased by '1'. Once it reaches 0, then it is available. This applies to almost all units in the game.

However as an assist, I convert the decreasing days back to a 'general date' based on 30 days per month.
When it was just in a number of days, players wanted to know roughly when that was as a date to assist in planning.

ORIGINAL: pompack

The delay number in General Reserve I don't trust. Not sure why. Maybe it IS in weeks? I have noticed that when you assign a pilot to RESERVE, they always are available in same month or shortly thereafter, but that date can "roll" to the next month as well.

PS: My mother-in-law just got a Pom puppy. A very likeable pup and fun, but let's just say I won't be getting a Pom puppy anytime soon.
Michael

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”