sound trouble

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: JAMiAM, ralphtricky

Der Kuenstler

sound trouble

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I'm getting sound in the intro screens but once I'm in the game there is no sound. Under sound/background the four options are greyed out. Under sound/sound effects/sound effects on I can check the "on" option but still don't hear anything - any ideas??
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
ralphtricky

RE: sound trouble

Post by ralphtricky »

What OS are you running? Vista or XP

Can you please try going to the control panel and the sound applet and let me know what sound card it says that you have?

Also go to System, click on the hardware tab and the device button, then see if there are any audio devices that have a red X through them.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I have windows vista with a Realtek high def audio sound device. The games sounds were working the other day but now they don't. I hear sounds when the game is loading (i.e. the matrix/talonsoft/toad logo intros) but once I get to the game screen all is quiet. I was unable to find the audio devices screen but the realtek device screen said it was working properly.
"The Führer believes that this campaign will be over by autumn...I hope the Führer is right." Field-Marshal Walther von Reichenau, 1941

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

It looks like this game uses sound files with an OGG extension which I can't seem to play...

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Can you do me a favor and go into the Opart 3.ini file in the isntallation directory, open it with notepad and edit the following 3 lines.

Make sure that this is set to N
nosound=N

Setting this to N means that it will use only one CPU. This may help by setting it to N. Setting it to Y doesn't help performance a whole lot.
multicpu=Y

Try setting this to Y. It uses a different sound mechanism.
oldsound=N

You can also try deleting the TAO.cfg file and the Opart 3.ini file and they'll be recreated. I doubt it will make a difference, but...

Let me know how it works.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

None of that worked - thanks for the try anyway... :(

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

Are you using a command-line, ot using the normal program launcher?

How much RAM do you have?

When you say the intro screen, do you mean the page where you can look at the manual, play the game, etc? Or are you talking about something else?

What seems to be happening is that eitehr the nosound switch is set in the ini file (you can jsut delete opart 3.ini and it will recreate it, that may help.) Or it's being passed in the command-line.

The other thing that may be happening is that your OS may be mis-reporting you available memory for some reason.

Thanks,
Ralph
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

I'm using the program launcher that has "Play" at the top and then the other options below it. I have sound there (the radio static noise when you move the cursor over it) I also have sound when the intro logos are introduced (frog, etc)

I have 4 meg of ram.

When I get into the game it all looks fine except no sounds. In the game under sound/background the four options are greyed out. Under sound/sound effects I can select "sound effects on" but it doesn't do anything.

I tried deleting opart3.ini and nothing changed - will try again. I noticed that at matrix vista isn't listed as compatible with this game. Could that be the trouble?

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
Monkie

Post by Monkie »

I just purchased and installed TOAW3 and was having the same issues. I changed two items and got the sound to work, which one of the two did it I am not sure.

1) In the INI file I changed multicpu=N to multicpu=Y

2) I changed the properties of the EXE under the "Compatibility" tab to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (SP2)"

I now have sound working in game and I hope it helps you out also.

Mine is a new laptop DELL XPS M1530 with Vista 64bit dual processors NVIDIA M8600 GT and some integrated sound card which is using SigmaTell device drivers.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: Monkie

I just purchased and installed TOAW3 and was having the same issues. I changed two items and got the sound to work, which one of the two did it I am not sure.

1) In the INI file I changed multicpu=N to multicpu=Y

2) I changed the properties of the EXE under the "Compatibility" tab to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (SP2)"

I now have sound working in game and I hope it helps you out also.

Mine is a new laptop DELL XPS M1530 with Vista 64bit dual processors NVIDIA M8600 GT and some integrated sound card which is using SigmaTell device drivers.
It was probably the compatibility mode. The MultiCPU switch doesn't have a huge affect right now. Thanks for the hint.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
Der Kuenstler

Post by Der Kuenstler »

ORIGINAL: Monkie

THat fixed it - runs great now - thanks for the help, guys! Now I just have to learn how to play the thing....

My Featured Mods:
DK's Distressed UI
DK's Subtle Sounds
noxious

Post by noxious »

Yep, just got my own copy of TOAW III at last, to celebrate a new laptop.
Running Vista 64 bits, had to set if for XP compatibility for sound to work.
Incidentally, the Download Edition is now all patched up to the latest and greatest, includes an external equipment.eqp and possibly a revised manual (background pictures on manual pages, don't know if any text revision was done)

I love this game :)
Be Kind. Everyone is fighting a hard battle.
Belisarios

Post by Belisarios »

Yes, this fixed the problem same problem for me after installing the game on a new system.  BTW the forums here are tremendous...
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

This was the perfect solution. I had the same problem as der kuenstler since I have a new machine with Vista 64 and a 24" monitor. (no sound and greyed out boxes) I clicked on the shortcut, went to properties and ran the game in XP mode and this did the trick. Plus, it now fills up my entire screen. I am going to remember this tip about XP since it also might happen in other games.
M60A3

RE: sound trouble - Still No Sound

Post by M60A3 »

Running Vista 64 bit and have tried to run TOAW III in XP mode for the sound to work, but when I do the program won't run. I can see it in task manager, but the program never starts.

I have also set all game executables to XP mode and the program won't run.

Running in native Vista 64 TOAW will run, but there is no sound in the game. There is also a black strip on the right hand side of the game window.

Any ideas?
M60A3

RE: sound trouble - Still No Sound - Workaround Update

Post by M60A3 »

Found a work around.

The following is documented as Program Incompatibilities
Sometimes the game won't start, you never get to the opening screen. This is caused by some video players not working as expected. You can either install a version of media player available from the Microsoft site, Windows Media Player Downloads Or you can safely rename or move the following files from the C:\Matrix Games\The Operational Art of War III directory

TalonSoft
TOAW_Studio
Matrix Games
TOAD
TOAW3 Intro

I created a temp folder and placed the files there. I made sure that Opart 3.exe was in XP Compatibility mode and ran the program. nktoawrez.exe gets hung up at about 50% of the processor, but nothing starts and I eventually kill the program through task manager. When that program is killed, TOAW III will start with sound.
philturco

Post by philturco »

could you please specifically tell me where I can find the exe file? I just purchased a new Dell with Windows 7 and I am having the same sound problem you mentioned. I have no idea where to find the file you were talking about. Thanks so much!
philturco

Post by philturco »

never mind, I figured it out! Thanks for this forum, you are a great help!
sitito

Post by sitito »

I use Windows 7 64 bits and works like a charm. Cheers [:)]
koreaboy

Post by koreaboy »

I'm having the same issues now that I bought a new computer running Windows 7. Being a bit of a technophobe, could someone give me an idiot's guide to doing this....

"2) I changed the properties of the EXE under the "Compatibility" tab to "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (SP2)"

Return to “TOAW III Support”