Newbie Noob AAR Recommendations

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

yeknod

Newbie Noob AAR Recommendations

Post by yeknod »

Hi All, title says it all - which AARs can be recommended for a slow learning Noob to learn, well, most things?
DivePac88

RE: Newbie Noob AAR Recommendations

Post by DivePac88 »

They are all really good, and it depends if you're a AFB, or a JFB.

But if I really had to choose it would be PzB for the Japanese, and Andy Mac for the Allies.

The thing is that all those AARs have value, and they all have different stratagems. So if I was you; I would do what I do, and try and read them all.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

I have to really disagree with DivePac here.

If you are trying to learn then the one thing you should try to do is avoid "JFB or AFB" AARs which are often bloated with views which aren't based in the objective realities of the performances of the various weapons systems etc. If you want to learn strategy and tactics then read an AAR which deals with those issues. Even if the player loses badly you can learn from their mistakes. Some players also explain their thinking and are happy to answer questions about that thinking. Those are particularly useful.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
yeknod

Post by yeknod »

Okay, thanks, I just dived in.. some good AARs to read
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

Interesting is to take a look at double AARs, that way you have no FOW as a reader.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
frank1970

Post by frank1970 »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

I have to really disagree with DivePac here.

If you are trying to learn then the one thing you should try to do is avoid "JFB or AFB" AARs which are often bloated with views which aren't based in the objective realities of the performances of the various weapons systems etc. If you want to learn strategy and tactics then read an AAR which deals with those issues. Even if the player loses badly you can learn from their mistakes. Some players also explain their thinking and are happy to answer questions about that thinking. Those are particularly useful.

I don´t think DivePac wanted him to read AFB or JFB AARs, but recommended one AAR for each side.
Else you are absolutely right.

kind regards

frank
If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

Altaris

Post by Altaris »

Well, AAR's are kinda subjective to the reader. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, I found the AAR's that helped me the most were the ones written about higher level strategy rather than going into every little tactical detail every turn. Shattered Vow by Canoerebel has been my favorite, he writes more in a strategy brain-storming fashion, while highlighting results from the previous turn. The Q-Ball/Cuttlefish AAR's are similar in writing style, and those two are my close 2nd favorites since they are AAR's of both sides in that game.

But hey, different folks find different AAR's helpful. Personally, I almost immediately close one out if I see a Combat Results posting, as I have no interested in reading through 1,000 lines trying to interpret what happened. For me, it's the AAR's that really put you in the mind of the veteran player that are the best, these help you learn the type of mindset you need in this game to be successful.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121
Some players also explain their thinking and are happy to answer questions about that thinking. Those are particularly useful.
I find these the most useful versus a rehash of combat report text. I also find it difficult to read AARs with poor grammar, syntax or millions of typos. Yes, it's vain, but them's my opinions and I'm stickin' to 'em.

Two AARs that I follow regularly are Canoerebel and Q-ball's. I'm an occasional visitor to Cuttlefish's AAR too. All are very well written and insightful AARs that benefit noobs and experienced players alike. Mike Solli's is just getting started, but is already full of useful IJ production tidbits of wisdom. I particularly like these authors' willingness to acknowledge comments, answer questions, solicit opinions and, occasionally, open debate.

I've bristled when others have suggested this to me, so please don't take this the wrong way: the integrity of AARs (particularly those like Q-ball / Cuttlefish) that simultaneously report on both sides of the war depends on the ability of AAR readers to keep a secret. Loose lips sink ships and all that. If you're going to read one opponent's mail, you must watch what you say in the other AAR to avoid security breaches. Alright, 'nuff said already-you get the idea.

Enjoy! Reading AARs is one of the best things on this forum. Borrowing bits of knowledge and hard-earned experience from these guys has made me (I think) a much better player.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”