Need help.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

lackoo

Need help.

Post by lackoo »

Choosed these games from the holiday sales's list,but i can't find any demo to try them out before buying.

John Tiller's Battleground Civil War
John Tiller's Battleground Napoleonic Wars
John Tiller's Campaign Series
The Operational Art of War III
War in the Pacific – Admiral’s Edition

My system OS is Vista Ultimate X64
sprior

RE: Need help.

Post by sprior »

there are no demos of these games.
"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

lackoo

Post by lackoo »

ORIGINAL: sprior

there are no demos of these games.
But why?
slybelle

Post by slybelle »

There actually is a very old demo of The Opeerational Art of War (Century of Warfare Version) located here: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... ile&id=927

Keep in mind this does not represent the latest offering by Matrix but I think it at least gives you a general idea. I downloaded it myself yesterday and running it on a Windows 7-64 bit system with no problem. I'm in the same boat in trying to determine if TOAW is right for me. I love all the scenarios but somewhat intimated on the micro-management that looks required.
lackoo

Post by lackoo »

ORIGINAL: slybelle

There actually is a very old demo of The Opeerational Art of War (Century of Warfare Version) located here: http://forums.gamesquad.com/downloads.p ... ile&id=927
Thank you.
I don't understand,why MG can't let you to try these games ,before you buy them.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Been discussed ad-nuaseam...

However, because you are apparently new (welcome by the way), I'll kick off this thread and hope it doesn't go where they all go...

Wargames are by their nature complex games and as such demos often do not do them justice. Some (most?) but not all potential purchasers do not have the dedication to put into a demo in order to actually understand the game, hence it can be a negative tool for wargames, depending on the purchaser.

Demo's are not quick and cheap to make. The code has to be in place to determine the duration of the demo. The code also has to be specific to the documentation. Then there's the documentation to produce. All these are time consuming and costly and, when you put that together with the statement above, kind of seems counter productive.

Some (most?) people do not agree that they can be counter productive. I personally do.

Matrix Games therefore advises the user to visit the forums, ask questions, look at screenshots and read AARs (After Action Reports) to see if a game "fits" for them. Essentially the onus is on the consumer to investigate whether a game is right for them or not.

I have no problem with this business model. Some (most?) do [:D]
Alba gu' brath
leastonh1

Post by leastonh1 »

Welcome lackoo [:)]

To add my 2p worth to what JD said...

For wargames, I have no real preference whether a demo is available or not (not so with most other game genres). But, with an important proviso...that the publisher has a history of releasing quality games, with good pre-release/pre-purchase information and an active support community. As Matrix consistently do all of the above (imho, of course), then I don't care about having a demo. Not to mention that unlike many other companies, we have a direct route to the devs of these games and they are always willing to listen to suggestions, criticism and take on board comments from us mere mortals [;)].

As JD said, having the game info, screenshots, AAR's and forum posts to use as a benchmark for what makes a game worth buying to me personally is more than enough.

I'm sure there are any number of members here who hate not having demos to play with and that's fair enough. Each to their own [8D]

All the best,
Jim
2nd Lt. George Rice: Looks like you guys are going to be surrounded.
Richard Winters: We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded.
lackoo

Post by lackoo »

Thank you for the reply guys.
freeboy

Post by freeboy »

witpae, great but LLOOOOG, not hours long, like an eternity long!
All the others are really older titles... if you are a set piece board gaeme guy you will probably like them all, all good titles at reasonable prices
They should all work on your system, I ran TOA3 and Ae on my vista 64

"Tanks forward"
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

There are also "how-to" vids on youtube...[/align]
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Look at some of the AAR's for those games.

But John Tillers Campaign Series is great value with West Front, East Front and Rising Sun which is three games for one and great graphics.

WitP-AE this is really deep but after you learn the game system the campaign game will take you longer than the actual war to complete, therefore it's a investment, have many many games but if I had to choose just one well this is it.
eastwindrain

Post by eastwindrain »

Question for JudgeDredd where in Scotland do you live I'm from sunny Ayr in the Gulf Stream.

Sorry about highjacking the thread !!!.
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

There also was a demo for John Tiller's Westfront (part of Camapign Series), but no clue if it's still available on the web.

Return to “General Discussion”