Screenshots/Info

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

latosusi

Screenshots/Info

Post by latosusi »

Please post some info and/or screenshots of finnish units
Northern Star

RE: Screenshots/Info

Post by Northern Star »

Finnish units are the units with blue background.

Situation at the beginning of 1942:

Attachments
finnish1942.jpg
finnish1942.jpg (277 KiB) Viewed 159 times
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

An alpha screen shot of the Finnish troops at the start of the campaign.

Edit - Damn she beat me to it! [:'(]
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Northern Star

Post by Northern Star »

And at the beginning of 1943 campaign:

Attachments
finnish1943.jpg
finnish1943.jpg (284.58 KiB) Viewed 159 times
War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0
Endsieg

Post by Endsieg »

So....regardless of scenario,...may the Finns attack at will? Across the Svir towards Tikhvin for instance?
Can the Axis player send German units (armor) into Finnland to "help" the Finns attack the Sovs? (apparently a cheesey tactic used in WIR).
Or are Finn attacks restricted by hard (political) code?

well OK, i see the Finn "no attack line". Is that written in rock?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

well OK, i see the Finn "no attack line". Is that written in rock?

It is written in the game code. If you manage to capture Leningrad, Finnish army will be able to cross that line.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Pford

Post by Pford »

It is written in the game code. If you manage to capture Leningrad, Finnish army will be able to cross that line.

In that case, what's the purpose of the Soviets garrisoning the frontier? Are their units frozen- pun unintended- as well?
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

They can move past the line, just can't attack.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
Ola Berli

Post by Ola Berli »

This is no problem, this time Leningrad will fall to the Panzers! [:D]
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Well it's easier said than than done. You have to take both greater Leningrad (red arrow) and north Leningrad (yellow arrow) which is across a major river in order to activate the Finns to cross the line. Heres a ss...

Attachments
leningrad.jpg
leningrad.jpg (139.93 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Ola Berli

Post by Ola Berli »

Yes I see it. Everything who slow down a human german player is in my opinion good. It was and should not be easy to conquer this big country.

I am very impressed with the detail in this game! [&o]
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Big really is an understatment of its size, vast may be closer. Heres an ss of an area that the Axis may never set foot on, however the detail is still there...The map is cool huh...

Attachments
vast.jpg
vast.jpg (132.86 KiB) Viewed 159 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Kesselring

Post by Kesselring »

lol, now the Finnish is helpless now, what a stupid setting. Is that another "historical" setting that can simplify the programming? I further suggest using the "region of operation" concept in Kharkov to make the game more historical. This game is so historical now, so why not make a flash showing the history rather than a game? Except the graphics, there is no important improvement reported so far compared with WIR, but many degradations are presented. 
Sentinel Six

Post by Sentinel Six »

ORIGINAL: Kesselring

lol, now the Finnish is helpless now, what a stupid setting. Is that another "historical" setting that can simplify the programming? I further suggest using the "region of operation" concept in Kharkov to make the game more historical. This game is so historical now, so why not make a flash showing the history rather than a game? Except the graphics, there is no important improvement reported so far compared with WIR, but many degradations are presented. 

This is historically accurate and rightly so in my opinion. Axis minor nations were not all mindless puppet states, especially Finland. If the Germans had have taken Leningrad then the Finns would have played a more active role.
Sentinel Six

Post by Sentinel Six »

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Big really is an understatment of its size, vast may be closer. Heres an ss of an area that the Axis may never set foot on, however the detail is still there...The map is cool huh...

The map is cool but as you say a vast area which the Axis player is unlikely to ever set foot on, yet the Karelia/Arctic/Murmansk section of the front is ommitted.
ComradeP

Post by ComradeP »

Well it's easier said than than done. You have to take both greater Leningrad (red arrow) and north Leningrad (yellow arrow) which is across a major river in order to activate the Finns to cross the line. Heres a ss...

Leningrad's the only trigger?

If the Germans occupy most of the map, but not northern Leningrad, the Finns will still remain frozen in place?

What is to keep the Soviet player from creating a basically unbeatable pile of units on the northern side of the Neva, leaving the border with Finland more or less undefended, knowing that the Finns can't attack anyway?

Keep in mind that fewer triggers automatically means a higher chance of the rule being exploited by players. Games with fixed areas of operation, such as SSG's Kharkov:DotD have shown that players will quickly find strategies to use fixed AoO's to their advantage.
The map is cool but as you say a vast area which the Axis player is unlikely to ever set foot on, yet the Karelia/Arctic/Murmansk section of the front is ommitted.

That's something I'm not happy with either, but the developers want to do this their way so as long as the system works, I can live with no combat in the far north, completely ahistorical as it might be.
SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer
Sentinel Six

Post by Sentinel Six »

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

That's something I'm not happy with either, but the developers want to do this their way so as long as the system works, I can live with no combat in the far north, completely ahistorical as it might be.

That's a pity. I understand that there would be a huge addition to the map etc, but one of the big points in the development of the game is historical accuracy and although operations along this section of the front were at a fairly low level the region was strategically important for both sides and could have become a major theatre if one of the combatants had decided to force the issue. The loss of Murmansk would have been a major blow to the Soviets (loss of major lend lease entry point, loss of Winter achorage for Northern Fleet), likewise the Kolosjoki Nickel plant near Petsamo would have been a very severe loss to the German war effort. This plant alone was capable of producing 32% of all European Nickel and Germany was always short of some of the more exotic metals (Tungsten, Chromium etc) for producing high grade steel alloys.
Sentinel Six

Post by Sentinel Six »

If Leningrad gets cut off is it possible to supply it across a frozen Lake Ladoga during the Winter?
Helpless

Post by Helpless »

If Leningrad gets cut off is it possible to supply it across a frozen Lake Ladoga during the Winter?

Yes.
Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development
Sentinel Six

Post by Sentinel Six »

ORIGINAL: Helpless

Yes.

How does a unit being out of supply effect it? Does the "ice road" allow supply at a full rate or reduced rate?

Thanks for all the answers by the way.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”