While

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Hard Sarge

While

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, while Harley has been working on the patch, and the testers are working on testing what Harley has been working on

this is the area I been working with

I think it is working out well

this is a radar shot at start

Attachments
MWNFstartend.jpg
MWNFstartend.jpg (322.26 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Hard Sarge

RE: While

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, to be honest, that was what it looked like at the end of the mission, but it also what it would of looked like, before the mission started :)

this shows a Window screen, and a Mandrel screen (with a side NF Stream)

the odd part with the Jammers, is, they do work, in single mode, but, they work much better, if in pairs, or better

so a point target, you would want shut down, may take 2 planes, or better yet, 3, while a stream of Jammers will shut down more

which does, work with the tactics of the day

Attachments
MWNFicon.jpg
MWNFicon.jpg (287.59 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

with the planes

Attachments
MWNF.jpg
MWNF.jpg (289.54 KiB) Viewed 511 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

later in the raid

(as you can see, the NF stream was pretty much worthless, totally out of place, other then to cause confusion)

Attachments
MWNFiconII.jpg
MWNFiconII.jpg (278.87 KiB) Viewed 512 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

looking at that screen, it would read, Fortesses, Mossy, Welly

you can also see, the Welly, does not do as good a job as the Forts do, the Welly will be more of a point target type (while still doing it's elint work)

besides what the Code has Windows do, the Welly's will shut down Freya, and the 202 air to air Radar (well, will have a chance to)

(I am still looking for details on the auto window chute, that was added to the Welly, to see if it was also used on the Mossy or not, and when)

so right now, the Hally is a Mandrel screener, the Welly is a Window screener/Elint/Decoy (Moonbeam) and the Mossy is a Elint/Decoy at start

the later Jammers, will be better, and cover more radar types

I can't really model half of the jammers that were used, most were Comm jammers

one hassle I have, is units, there are a number of units in 100 Group, that come in later, that start someplace else, and they are code driven (171/199/223, so I can't do anything with them, the code will pull them out and reassign them) but, there are also Mossie units that should show up in 100, that I think will stay in there starting commands (so, I do not know if I should leave them where they should be at start, or if I should place them into 100 Group at start)

also we got 462 RAAF, a Hally Unit in the Med, it is going to disband in 44, be reformed in the Med as 614, while also being reformed as 462 RAAF RCM and joining 100 Group, what I did before, was pulled 462, bring in 614 when it was formed, and bring in 462 when it was refromed, but that means that for close to a year, the Med is short one HEAVY night bomber Squadron

I could add in 614 at start (as it really is 462) or I can leave it alone ?

803rd BS was the beginning of the US RCM units, they were under command of the US, but flew with/for 100 group, it will soon, become 36th BS (H) RCM, so I have kept it as 36th, but moved it to 100 group

the biggest thing with the Jammers, is there are never enough of them
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

oh, I also found some nice maps of the German, long range radar coverage of england, so I have changed some of the closer to the coast Freya's to Mammut

(hint, Tiffies)

I dropped 192 Squadron (we had 3 flights of 192 and the squadron, never made sense to me, but that was part of the other reseacher stuff, so left it in, until I could prove it was wrong, I know now, it is wrong, so have pulled the Squadron)

I also dropped the D/101 section that JC added, I added ABC to 101 Squadron as a whole, as that is how they flew

(I am still not sure about those Mossy det to 2nd Tac)

NF's that flew with the Mossy VI FB, I have tried to rearm them, with that plane, hassle here is, 100 group will fly as Nightfighters, but, 2nd Tac will fly as fighterbombers, so, if with a day command, I have tried to keep them in a pure night fighter)

Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

well, nobody is saying anything, so I will go with what I have gotten done so far, and add it into the patch

TechSgt

Post by TechSgt »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

one hassle I have, is units, there are a number of units in 100 Group, that come in later, that start someplace else, and they are code driven (171/199/223, so I can't do anything with them, the code will pull them out and reassign them) but, there are also Mossie units that should show up in 100, that I think will stay in there starting commands (so, I do not know if I should leave them where they should be at start, or if I should place them into 100 Group at start)

This reminded me of the problem with units being removed. Me -- as the commander not knowing about it. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of units being removed and upgraded, but what if you had just switched them to a different type of aircraft and "poof" they are gone.

also we got 462 RAAF, a Hally Unit in the Med, it is going to disband in 44, be reformed in the Med as 614, while also being reformed as 462 RAAF RCM and joining 100 Group, what I did before, was pulled 462, bring in 614 when it was formed, and bring in 462 when it was refromed, but that means that for close to a year, the Med is short one HEAVY night bomber Squadron

Just an opinion... K-I-S-S! [;)]

803rd BS was the beginning of the US RCM units, they were under command of the US, but flew with/for 100 group, it will soon, become 36th BS (H) RCM, so I have kept it as 36th, but moved it to 100 group

In TOH, you couldn't add a B-17 RCM to a day mission. Wasn't RCM used during daylight hours?

the biggest thing with the Jammers, is there are never enough of them.

Agreed

Nice work with the radar display!

TS
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

ORIGINAL: TechSgt

This reminded me of the problem with units being removed. Me -- as the commander not knowing about it. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of units being removed and upgraded, but what if you had just switched them to a different type of aircraft and "poof" they are gone.

well, the two units in the Med flying the A-36, are only ones to really worry about, they will change over to Fighter units, if left alone, if changed to a bomber from the A-36, they will then stay as bombers, the other units are plain bombers, so I believe it is unit driven, not bomber type, so, if the bomber type changes, it should still be the same thing, they will be pulled and changed over to RCM types, it is in the code and not the data, so I do not have any control over it

Just an opinion... K-I-S-S! [;)]

well it is already simple, that don't mean it is what people want (then again, not many people may know about it, so they don't care much either way)

that is a odd one, 462 RAAF, was a RAF squadron, with very few RAAF types, the Land of Oz types, didn't like that, so demanded that the squadron be disbanded, so later, the 462 RAAF was disbanded, the squadron renamed 614 with the old crews, 462 RAAF was then reformed in England, with RAAF cr
ews

In TOH, you couldn't add a B-17 RCM to a day mission. Wasn't RCM used during daylight hours?

I think it could be, if assigned as a Fighter Sweep (I know the Mossy/Welly RCM could)

and yes, RCM planes flew during the day, and they flew with the raids, most times, a plane with in each BombGroup, but, they were used for Jammer of AA radar, that is factored in with the co
de

the biggest thing with the Jammers, is there are never enough of them.

Agreed

Nice work with the radar display!

thanks, glad somebody likes it, it is fun, when it works

TS
sauro brusch

Post by sauro brusch »

Boss, well done job[&o]
and now, we wait the pacht, good work guys[:)]
TechSgt

Post by TechSgt »

HARD_Sarge;

Let's step back for a moment...

From an offensive player perspective, what is the biggest problem with RCM in the simulation?
IMHO: Displaying the various RCM effect(s) in the simulation!

While I enjoy watching the radar circles shrink/expand, by the time I get to that era I've been trained not to have the radar rings displayed. I been trying to remember to switch ON urban and radar ranges when the sun goes down. The urban display is more like a night view when flying anyways. Maybe this could be automated? FYI: I always switch to URBAN when the first night bombing mission gets started.

Displaying messages -- causing the screen to snap jump -- isn't the most effective. But, it is interesting to see new detection devices pop-up. Maybe it will be better when we can keep the messges levels high, but stop the screen jumps.

I'm not saying this is a problem, per se; and I definately have no solutions!
This is just trying to kick off a brainstorming session WHILE we wait. [;)]

TS
TechSgt

Post by TechSgt »

well, nobody is saying anything, so I will go with what I have gotten done so far, and add it into the patch

HS;

This is about the last part of the sentence.
Did the white high altitude bands get added in the patch?

If so, they are not showing up in my version of the patch.

TS
harley

Post by harley »

TS, that wasn't a coding change - Ron made some changes to the OB that were not included in the patch. They will show up on radar that only goes to 3000 feet. These changes will be released seperately, and will require a restart.

gigiddy gigiddy gig-i-ddy
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

just to be sure

those are in the patch

but since it is a OOB thing, it would need a new game for it to take effect ???

Oliver Heindorf

Post by Oliver Heindorf »

[&:] hmm, I installed the patch, i used to have a flow of mosquitos and wellington RCMs and I did not see the enemy radar shut down. what did i wrong ? height was 14k feet. any ideas ? game is patched but it was started under 1.00
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

that is a OOB thing, it will need a restart for the OOB to take effect, the 3 flights of 192 are now, one Welly, one Hally and one Mossie, were before it was 2 Welly and 1 Mossie

in the newer OOB, the Welly has some of it's own Window, which will effect ground and air radar, at short range, and still do the Elint part

(iirc, normal crew dropping of Window, was one packet every two minutes, for the Wellies, it was like 10 packets a minute, trying to make the look like a much larger force, later on, a auto dispensing chute was made, and I think that would put out 40 packets a minute, still have not be able to find out if the Mossies were ever set up with the Auto chute)

(in a normal bomber, it was a royal pain, to drop the window, in the elint bombers, it was murder, and they had muliti crew members around the chute, taking turns, it is cold, it is dark, you are tired and scared, and you have to be dropping the packets on time, or it does no good, some of these bombers carried 4 tons of window packets)

Howard Mitchell

Post by Howard Mitchell »

... still have not be able to find out if the Mossies were ever set up with the Auto chute...

I had a look through my books Sarge and couldn't find any reference to any special window equipment for Mossies either. Looked in Brettingham's history of 100 Group, Price's Instruments of Darkness and Shape & Bowyer's Mosquito.

I can't see anything in the manual or readme about white range rings for certain radars, though from your comment above I assume they indicate radar that only goes down to 3,000 ft altitude. Is this correct?

I really appreciate the efforts you have put in to getting 100 Groups OOB correct Sarge, it's fascinating to see all the odd-ball aircraft there with their different roles.
While the battles the British fight may differ in the widest possible ways, they invariably have two common characteristics – they are always fought uphill and always at the junction of two or more map sheets.

General Sir William Slim
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

for the Manual info, not in there, and to be honest, it was a mistake from JC's time

100 group is really neat, a big hassle is, all of the other groups didn't know what they were doing, so they have been kept in the dark for a long time

(LOL, like the story about the one pilot who had to land at a "normal" base, with his plane deck out in fancy aerials, which of course, everyone noticed, now he knows he can't say anything, but when everybody is asking questions, he made up a fancy story about what his unit was doing that night, new code words for the mission and new info on what the missions were and how they did them, but, it was a good night for that Base, with no losses, so the base commander went to group and asked from another "mission" to be flown with his base that night, as they did a real good job, of course, it was easy to figure out, where this info came from, and this pilot is called in front of the Group Commander, you know you are not allowed to talk about your squadron, or your mission, but Sir, I didn't, I lied, well, you know your not allowed to lie either !!!!)

Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Hi, Sarge -

I am visiting; have focused on WitP AE but will eventually come back to BTR. I like your screen shots. Am familiar with Mammut historicaly; how is it represented in the game? Are the grey depictions Mammut (obviously longer range) and are there other factors involved compared to Freya?

I do love the improvemets that the EagleDay / BTR team have made; please excuse me for jumping in. I am working on learning AE at the moment (there is good progress) but eventually will come back to this outstanding game. Thanks for all of your hard work,

Semper Fi,

Mac

P.S. Sarge - I missed the below post, I think it answers my question:

quote:

I can't see anything in the manual or readme about white range rings for certain radars, though from your comment above I assume they indicate radar that only goes down to 3,000 ft altitude. Is this correct?

LAV-25 2147

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”