Partisans

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

siRkid

Partisans

Post by siRkid »

You can use F11 to see the results of you opponent's last turn. It will also show any partisan attacks. In this case I've had four attacks on my supply line.[:@]

Attachments
Partisans.jpg
Partisans.jpg (163.36 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Joshuatree

RE: Partisans

Post by Joshuatree »

Pretty disastruous [:@] Do these attacks have a lasting effect on your supply lines? I mean you have to send repair units to do the thing repair units do?
And the bright red counters make it easy to spot the partisanattacks, well chosen.
siRkid

Post by siRkid »

You have to go and repair the rail lines if they are damaged enough. You have security units to go chase down the ones that did it.
Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

But are partisans organised in units or abstracted? If the former, how are they spawned?
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

ORIGINAL: Kid

You can use F11 to see the results of you opponent's last turn.

Is there a replay of the opponents turn- like SSG's games?

-

elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Offworlder - Partisan cadre might be created when a Soviet unit is shattered in combat or spawned from another partisan unit.  Once that cadre is created it needs to get air supply to form an actual partisan unit on the map.  The AI will then use them to damage German rail hexes.  They will  be destroyed if an Axis combat capable unit moves next to it.  There are many more details to partisans but this is the general idea of how they function.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

Partisan cadres get created by units that are destroyed, then depending on security forces, they can increase in size. They must have supplies and special squads airdropped to them to be activated and become regular partisan units (this happens automatically if transports are in range). Once active they can attack, and be attacked by Axis units.

There is no replay per se, however there are many ways of getting information about what happened during the other player's turn (the best is the F11 which brings up battle site markers around the map wherever there was combat, and when you mouse over them you get some details of the combat).
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Is there a replay of the opponents turn- like SSG's games?

Not at this time but you can get a lot of info from the reports Kid mentioned. I don't know if any kind of replay will be added later or not.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Chromius

Post by Chromius »

Wow, that is pretty awesome as a feature, sounds quite exciting. Could partisans have any other effects, like damage to production (maybee a loss of supplies or oil somewhere) or espionage on a troops forces/composition behind lines say it adds a level of detection like coastwatchers or something?

But what you have already is great.
The origin of the word "Apocalypse" = The revealing of hidden knowledge.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Damaging rails can affect supply significantly.  That is the only affect at this time.

WitE alpha/beta tester
Ola Berli

Post by Ola Berli »

Keeps wetting our apetite for this baby!

Hell why did anybody not ask me to be tester for this fantastic game [:-][:D][&o]
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Extremely interesting I have to admit! And very historical too...

Then hope we get all the security divisions and assorted units to counter them!

Where are the Brandenburgers????[:'(]
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

We have plenty of Sec divisions...No Brandenburgs though. Hum, never thought about them. Jim or Pavel may know better. I'll bring that up on our closed forum...Anyway heres a ss of Sec units. Btw German divisions can break down into 3 regiments, which help as many cities dont need an entire division to garrision. In this case Minsk needs a division and a regiment, while Smolensk needs a division and Mogilev has only a regiment.

Attachments
SecDiv.jpg
SecDiv.jpg (135.04 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Heres another ss. I clicked on Minsk, in the upper left hand corner it shows the garrison % requirement I met, in this case 98%, which will pretty much keep any uprising at a minimum...

Attachments
Minsk.jpg
Minsk.jpg (138.9 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Heres a nice hotkey. It shows garrison levels. Blue is over 100%, yellow is garrisoned but under 100%, and red is no garrison...Here a ss...

Attachments
Ghotkey.jpg
Ghotkey.jpg (129.47 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
Chromius

Post by Chromius »

That is another nice feature.

Thanks for the SS's
The origin of the word "Apocalypse" = The revealing of hidden knowledge.
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

This game is really turning out nicely!

I asked about the Brandenburgers because though they were elite commandos, their command kept expanding during the war in order to counter partisan activity.

BTW you mentioned uprisings. So cities can actually rebel as well?
PyleDriver

Post by PyleDriver »

Uprising is the wrong word, I should have said allowing that city to aid in partisan recruting...Brandenburgers are not going to be included in the game, Jim can explain better as to why...
Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester
vinnie71

Post by vinnie71 »

Ok thanks for the clarification![;)]

Hopefully as well there would be several construction engineer units to patch up the rails after the partisans did their thing...

BTW will partisans be present in every area of the USSR? I'm asking because in the former Baltic States for example, there was little or no resistence - if not outright collaboration.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

Yes their are rail repair/conversion units.

WitE alpha/beta tester

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”