Custom maps, starting positions.

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and modding.
hightimes

Custom maps, starting positions.

Post by hightimes »

I registered just so I could post this.

I'm having trouble figuring out on my own, how exactly to edit starting positions on custom made maps.

I've googled, read the manual, and all I've found are vague references to editing an XML file and others who have figured it out, and not posted their solution.

So considering I had trouble finding it, perhaps we can put down some step by step directions on how to create your own map -and define starting positions-, for those of us who aren't accustomed to modding/editing/map building.

That said, this game is tons of fun, and with some decent patches, I think could be really great- keep up the good work!
Aroddo

RE: Custom maps, starting positions.

Post by Aroddo »

If you're going to make a scenario, then it's best to set the starting locations in the scenario file itself. Check out the "Twelve Races.xml" scenario and use that for reference.

Each race has it's own CustomFaction tag and in it is the Colony-tag.

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <Colony Name="Earth" Star="Sol">

"Name" is the screen name of the starting colony, while "Star" is the real name of that system.
Real names are those names you see in the map editor.

So, setting a starting position doesn't require anything more than typing in the name of the system in the appropriate place.

hightimes

Post by hightimes »

ok so, in order to create a large galaxy map, I would go about it like this:

1. Create the map in the editor, name the planets

2. edit the map file? or create an xml? this is where I'm getting a bit lost.

3. Rename that file to start me off at the name of a star (one I named in the map editor)

4. and how does this apply to other races starting positions, same dealy?
Aroddo

Post by Aroddo »

1. yup.
2. saving the map creates the map file. what you want is a scenario file. that one you have to create by yourself.
It's best if you copy an existing one and just change it according to your needs. Read around in the original twelve races scenario or even better, the tutorial scenario.
3. um ... it doesn't really matter how you name that file. i guess you mistyped.
4. yep.

hightimes

Post by hightimes »

Oh i meant to say, rename the system/planet in the scenario folder to correspond with the named system in the map. think I've got it though, thanks!

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”