Typical Playing Map Size?

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

shinobu

Typical Playing Map Size?

Post by shinobu »

I was playing a game last night on a 300x300 custom map with 19 races. After about 115 turns, I started to get "Out of Memory" alerts. (I'm running Vista on a Dell XPS 420 32 bit system with 3 GB of DDR2 SDRAM.)

Anyway, my question for folks is what size map do you all typically play for your games (and how many opponents)? I know everyone has a different idea of what they call a "good game", but I'm just interested in hearing "how big" other people play the game, and how big you can play before memory issues start to creep in.
Aurelian

RE: Typical Playing Map Size?

Post by Aurelian »

Did you play straight through, or save/exit/restart?

I've played 140 turns with a 500x500 and 12 races. never hit the out of memory barrier because I do the latter.

(Win 7 64 bit w/2G mem.)

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
shinobu

Post by shinobu »

I played straight through. So there is a memory leak? (And I'd still like to hear what size games other players have fun with...)
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Seems so. I know the designer stated that on the 1000 x 1000 maps, it can get to the point where you can't save it.

Right now I'm playing the 500/500 24 races as the Human Union. Just ran into the AROM. I'll post the details later.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
shinobu

Post by shinobu »

Aurelian: I'd be interested in how your game turns out. Thanks for the info and good luck!

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”