JTCS Won't Launch

John Tiller's Campaign Series exemplifies tactical war-gaming at its finest by bringing you the entire collection of TalonSoft's award-winning campaign series. Containing TalonSoft's West Front, East Front, and Rising Sun platoon-level combat series, as well as all of the official add-ons and expansion packs, the Matrix Edition allows players to dictate the events of World War II from the tumultuous beginning to its climatic conclusion. We are working together with original programmer John Tiller to bring you this updated edition.

Moderators: Jason Petho, Peter Fisla, asiaticus, dogovich

Lordgray1986

JTCS Won't Launch

Post by Lordgray1986 »

Good Evening,

I have just recently installed JTCS on my laptop with Windows Vista. I can’t get any of the games to launch. EF,WF or RS. No matter how i try to launch them, through the launcher or through they .exe files in the folder the screen turns black and i see a wait icon then nothing. Eventually I Ctrl-Alt-Del and it shoes "Talonsoft" not responding. I’m patched to 1.04 from a fresh install. I deleted completely and reinstalled it and I’m still having the same problem. if anyone know what to try I’m all ears.

Thanks

Mark Jericho
Joshuatree

RE: JTCS Won't Launch

Post by Joshuatree »

Maybe it has to do with the colour scheme? .... I do this from my memory but I think the game does not support 32bit colour depth, and it wants to play it in 16bit colourdepth. When I start the game up windows says the game changed the colourscheme, but it does this automatically, and it returns to the original state after I quit JTCS. Maybe your laptop doesn't do this automatically and you will have to do it manually. So change desktop resolution to 16bits colourdepth and try again.
Lordgray1986

Post by Lordgray1986 »

I tried your suggestion and it didn’t work. However I did resolve the problem. Each of the games individual .exe launch applications are automatically set to run with "Windows XP Service Pack 2 edition" all I did was uncheck the box to run in the compatibility mode for a different version of windows and it worked. I double checked this by doing it only with EF then launching and it worked fine. Then I tried to launch WF and RS without changing and it wouldn’t work. So I changed each one and they launch fine now and play fine. I also tried setting the compatibility for different versions other then windows XP sp2 and it wouldn’t work with any of them. That box had to be unchecked. Well at least I got it working, and maybe that little fix will help someone else having problem with vista.

Thanks for the help,

Marc Jericho
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

Glad you got it figured out. And the solution you mention has already been posted... somewhere buried deep in this forum. I did read it, but forgot about it too. [:(]
This game *is* a golden oldie, but apparently the game engine is in serious need of a major overhaul.
Norry

Post by Norry »

Where is this check box located? I'm having a similar problem but I do not know how to find this check box you refer to.

Thanks
Josh

Post by Josh »

ORIGINAL: Norry

Where is this check box located? I'm having a similar problem but I do not know how to find this check box you refer to.

Thanks

Right click on the JTCS icon on your desktop, a pop up menu appears--> select properties--> select compatibility--> uncheck compatibility mode. I also have it unchecked.
(Note, my Vista version is Dutch ofcourse so the words "compatibility mode" etc, might be slightly different)

Attachments
compatibility 1.jpg
compatibility 1.jpg (46.12 KiB) Viewed 187 times
Josh

Post by Josh »

And this one.

Attachments
compatibility 2.jpg
compatibility 2.jpg (54.66 KiB) Viewed 182 times
lastkozak

Post by lastkozak »

Hi, I attempted to change those exe files for the three games to get the game to work, as mentioned above. They start and the game at least plays. However I began a campaign game and when the scenario it created was over, I heard the message from my 'supposed' superior, but no screen and after the message the game just freezes up. I cannot finish the scenario and continue the campaign with the same character.

Below is the error I receive; coincidentally the same error I received until I changed the exe files as indicated above.
Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: wf.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4893476c
Hang Signature: ecae
Hang Type: 2048
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105
Additional Hang Signature 1: 14bf73df75b1555bf61a43cba41bbaee
Additional Hang Signature 2: b036
Additional Hang Signature 3: d8311a6bf315c9b6476a1ea145155411