Install problem? Errors & crashes on launch.

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.
Jim_Grognard

Install problem? Errors & crashes on launch.

Post by Jim_Grognard »

I originally purchased GOA 1914-1918 back in 2007 when it first came out and never actually had a chance to play it. So I found my serial # and downloaded the latest version 1.32 and installed it on my Win XP laptop. This is a complete file, so I assume that it needs no previous version installed, right? And it seemed to install successfully except that it did not auto-fill in an install directory but made me choose one instead, nor did it create a icon for the desktop when it did install like it said it would, nor does the game appear in the Windows list of installed apps.

Anyway, when I double click autorun.exe in file manager and the app starts up and I choose PLAY, I get the following errors: "Cannot open file ...MatrixGamesLogo.bmp", then "Cannot open file ...AdanacLogo.bmp" and finally "Trench.exe crashes.

I saw at least one other person had this same problem but didn't read a solution here. I already tried uninstalling a re-installing it, same quirks on install and errors & crash on launching the app every time. I am running Win XP Pro, and have the latest DirectX 9 installed.
Sewerlobster

RE: Install problem? Errors & crashes on launch.

Post by Sewerlobster »

Both of the files you refer to should be in the drive:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Guns of August\GRAPHICS folder. First check that they are there. My Graphis folder has 3 sub folders and 42 un-sub foldered files.

If that's all you're missing I could email those two files to you. If they're there maybe you should PM FrankHunter as he's the designer. Good luck.
Why choose the lesser evil: Vote Cthulhu.
Jim_Grognard

Post by Jim_Grognard »

ORIGINAL: SewerStarFish

Both of the files you refer to should be in the drive:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Guns of August\GRAPHICS folder. First check that they are there. My Graphis folder has 3 sub folders and 42 un-sub foldered files.

If that's all you're missing I could email those two files to you. If they're there maybe you should PM FrankHunter as he's the designer. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. No, those files aren't there. But I suspect that the game is just not installing successfully. Shouldn't it try (by default) to create it's own Matrix Games/Guns of August folder under C:/Program Files? It doesn't do that, nor does it create a icon for my desktop when it supposedly finishes the installation. And trench.exe crashes as well after giving me the missing files errors when I double click autoplay.exe. I tried to install older versions of the game and also I shut down every running background process like anti-virus in the background when I did the installations to see if they were interfering and the same thing happens. The game seems to install but not quite perfectly. Does anyone else have a suggestion?
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

You definitely have an install problem as there should indeed be a Program Files\Matrix Games\Guns of August folder. You should click the support tab on the homepage of Matrixgames. Sorry I couldn't help.
Jim_Grognard

Post by Jim_Grognard »

You definitely have an install problem as there should indeed be a Program Files\Matrix Games\Guns of August folder. You should click the support tab on the homepage of Matrixgames. Sorry I couldn't help.

Thanks for your help so far. Much faster than Matrix Games support who I haven't still heard from. I finally was able to install the game by going to the Digital River's FindMyOrder.com web site and putting in my old credit card info and email address and getting access to download the GunsofAugust-SetupRelease-V120DR.zip file, which has an .exe which installed, of course, version 1.20 of GOA 1914-1918. Most the supposedly complete install files on the MatrixGames.com site itself incl. ver 1.20, 1.23, and ver 1.32 do not have the "DR" suffix and they will not install successfully on a Windows pc even if you have a valid serial number!

Now my next question would be how do I upgrade the game to the latest version 1.32? Do I just run the installer for ver. 1.32 without un-installing ver. 1.20DR that I have working now? Seems like the only way it would work, or I will be back trying to install a non-DR version of the 1.32 installer which will fail again
Sewerlobster

Post by Sewerlobster »

At the top of this Matrix webpage click the Members tab in the What's Your Strategy bar, register -- for some reason my member name is different than my screenname, I think you'll be able to register your serial number and that is where all the Official and Beta updates are found. I'd use one of them.
Jim_Grognard

Post by Jim_Grognard »

At the top of this Matrix webpage click the Members tab in the What's Your Strategy bar, register -- for some reason my member name is different than my screenname, I think you'll be able to register your serial number and that is where all the Official and Beta updates are found. I'd use one of them.

I have already registered my serial number in the members area. The zip files that are there in the members area with the newer version .exe installers (ver. 1.20, ver. 123, ver. 132) will NOT install successfully unless they have the "DR" suffix. Only the oldest file ver. 1.10 has a "DR" suffix. Now perhaps if I install one of the newer versions like ver. 1.32 over top of my now successfully installed 1.20DR version that I got from FindMyOrder.com that *might* successfully work. But the 1.20 version on the MatrixGames.com site is not a working install file. Only the "1.20DR" version from FindMyOrder.com works as a fresh install file, fyi.

Return to “Guns of August Support”