I Can't Stand It Anymore!

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

Janster

RE: I Can't Stand It Anymore!

Post by Janster »

Uhm I agree with Tom, you have to consider what is FUN, and shuffling pop around manually, is a click fest and its not even remotely FUN. Moo 2 used a system where you built transports into a pool, these where used to move population around. Not entirely sure if they could be destroyed, i vaguely remember they could be actually.

Why on earth this game of all had to try to reinvent the wheel when obviously way more clever ways of doing it was already done before, is beyond me.

It has led to to stop playing it as I just can't be assed spending my time moving pop around.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

MOO3 had a great system for natural automization of population immigration and even had a migration focus button for your priority colonies.MOO3'S problem is that it automated the whole game and the players felt like they had little to do.
Aroddo

Post by Aroddo »

I once won a game by letting the automanager do everything.

Sadly there was no automanager that pressed the next turn button for me.
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

Indeed. I am at a loss to explain how anyone can consider MoO3 a positive example for anything. It tried to be too many things at once, and in the end, was lucky to get a few of them done more or less half-assed.
ShotmanMaslo

Post by ShotmanMaslo »

ORIGINAL: SireChaos

Indeed. I am at a loss to explain how anyone can consider MoO3 a positive example for anything. It tried to be too many things at once, and in the end, was lucky to get a few of them done more or less half-assed.

MoO3 failed, but for other reasons than population transport. It failed mainly because it wanted to be "original" at all costs and tried to reinvent the wheel (MoO2), instead of recycling what is already good in MoO2 and other games, and adding something to it.
There is no good multiplayer turn-based space strategy game on the market since MoO2, so there is a big hole on the market to be filled, no need for inovation at all costs. I myself would buy even MoO2+GalCiv2 ripoff with just newer graphics and multi, no need to be original just to be original Just create multiplayer variant of those and add something to it. :)
It's Better To Burn Out Than To Fade Away...
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Well,one could say the same thing about Armada - I mean, being original and reinventing the wheel. Let's just hope that it's not a given that that leads eventually to disaster...  [;)]

Honestly, I pretty much prefer how LE:I did it. There's *no* pop transport. You found colonies and they have to grow on their own. That puts an emphasis on habitability, and growth rate modifiers.
Like mentioned during beta, consider removing the "14 free pop" thingy, and increase pop cost for arks to the minimum to open a slot (7). Let pop grow on its own. Effects of this, reduced need to transport pop, early colonies cannot spam arks, colonies are more valuable and there's less "exploits" (no 2-lab-only systems), etc.
In LE:I I suggested making marines cost pop, so that you could recruit in one system, transport them to the target system, demobilize them, and get some sort of pop transport  - at a cost though, the cost for the marines and some MM. Worked like a charm.

SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: Iceman

Well,one could say the same thing about Armada - I mean, being original and reinventing the wheel. Let's just hope that it's not a given that that leads eventually to disaster...  [;)]

Honestly, I pretty much prefer how LE:I did it. There's *no* pop transport. You found colonies and they have to grow on their own. That puts an emphasis on habitability, and growth rate modifiers.
Like mentioned during beta, consider removing the "14 free pop" thingy, and increase pop cost for arks to the minimum to open a slot (7). Let pop grow on its own. Effects of this, reduced need to transport pop, early colonies cannot spam arks, colonies are more valuable and there's less "exploits" (no 2-lab-only systems), etc.
In LE:I I suggested making marines cost pop, so that you could recruit in one system, transport them to the target system, demobilize them, and get some sort of pop transport  - at a cost though, the cost for the marines and some MM. Worked like a charm.

Sorry, but what´s LE:I?

Considering what kind of number we´re talking about, population transport should be slow, take a stupendous effort or both.

And I don´t think Armada really tried to re-invent the wheel. It´s more like they looked at the general problem which getting from A to B presented and came up with something other than the umpteenth great-grandchild of the Ford Model T. It´s different, it takes some getting used to, but it works and it doesn´t have to live with being a direct clone of something or another.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

LE: I is Lost Empires Immortals. Another 4x Star game. I have it. Just haven't got around to trashing it yet.

The only impressive tbing about it to me is you can have @5000 stars....

Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
SireChaos

Post by SireChaos »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

LE: I is Lost Empires Immortals. Another 4x Star game. I have it. Just haven't got around to trashing it yet.

The only impressive tbing about it to me is you can have @5000 stars....

Oh right. I have Lost Empire, though not the Immortals version. That game, I´m not actually sure what it was trying to achieve.

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”