Suggestions for new features

Smugglers IV - Doomsday is a fun and challenging turn-based space-trading game where you take command of an advanced space ship amidst a galaxy torn by war and crime! With your ship and skilled crew you can choose to be a greedy trader, ambitious bounty hunter, ruthless pirate, or one of the other professions in your quest for riches, fame, and power! Through trading, fulfilling missions, or pirating, you can earn the money and skills necessary to buy new ships and upgrade your equipment. As success brings larger ships, missions, and enemies, you'll have to manage a crew, board & plunder enemy ships, and even conquer star systems.
NielsB

Suggestions for new features

Post by NielsB »

I am just collecting some ideas for new features to include in the game. I didn´t forget the changes you asked for (like new difficulty modes) either. They are next on my schedule after my current project. [:)]

I'll start by dropping in some ideas I had. [&:]

Would you like a random map generator or do you think the game would be too random then?

Would you like to return the feature of combat range to the game (was included in Smugglers 3)? This could be done by allowing you to move your ship on a map. Consequently this could include the feature to control more than one ship (which would be a major shift in the gameplay focus though).

How could ship boarding be improved (without going the full way of a X-Com like squad game)?
jdew

RE: Suggestions for new features

Post by jdew »

Just some thoughts.....

- Random map generator: Good idea, but I think its not critical. If you do it, I'd suggest it be an option. There are times I would want to play in a known map, wanting to do things in a known universe.

- Combat range: I like this idea a lot, but only as a "per combat" option... for some instances of combat, but not all, as I choose on a combat-by-combat basis. Some combats I want to resolve quickly with little detail as they pop up as kind of a distraction from what I'm concentrating on. Combat range would be a great option for those times I want combat to be more involved though.

- Control more than one ship: I've done a few fleet combats and don't care to control more than one ship. I prefer to keep that part simple and think its fine the way it is; I don't need to be captain of every ship in the fleet.

- Boarding: I can't think of much detail I'd add to boarding since I like the streamlined nature of it all and don't want to get bogged down in details or lengthy combats. Perhaps an extension might be a round-by-round option "I personally lead the crew"... adding some kind of bonus but also running the risk I will use up a "life" even if my entire crew isn't wiped out (i.e. I can "die" but still win the boarding action). In other words, I've gotten through the levels and am heading to the bridge... find I'm really outnumbered, so I engage the "lead the assault" option for a bonus making victory more possible instead of just retreating because I know I can't win this round.

- I would like to see a place or way (perhaps very limited or hard to do or very expensive) the would enable me to purchase droids.... seems like to only way I can get them is through boarding. If they exist you should be able to get them some way other than boarding, even if they are expensive or hard to get.

In general I like the streamlined, quick play aspect of the combat part of the game. I don't get bogged down in details and/or key smashing and can concentrate on the strategy of what I'm doing with the character rather than minute details of running a ship around and fighting battles. With that in mind, I'd like to see more depth to the character and interaction with the storyline.

- The character should interact with the governors in a unique way... special missions that relate to the planet or system, not necessarily the larger war (these could be more along the lines of specific trade, evacuation, rescue or bounty missions that are related to or benefit only that particular planet or system). The governor could give rewards or assess monetary fines for certain actions. Instead of me asking for a mission, the gov could contact me and ask if I would do a particular mission, related to what my character is. At the moment I don't see what the point is in visiting a governor.

- Special missions that relate to the character and worlds...  be the designated target of bounty hunters (not just random combat) in a specific system (and tell me about the risk... so that I can decide to avoid the area and maybe give up some prestige or take the risk and gain even more prestige if I survive) or discover some item or enable something on a world which would unlock a new technology that adds some new ship equipment to the list of equipment available to purchase or to allow or award some new skill.

- Be able to raid a planet. This could be simple like a boarding action. You could raid to steal goods, steal money, steal droids. Of course some planets would be too heavily defended (instant defeat) but others could be vulnerable to quick raids... its up to the player to find out which ones are vulnerable... perhaps the bartender could give some clues and it could be something spy equipment and could help give information on.

- I don't know for a fact, but it seems once the player is at Admiral, no new skills are possible. So there are times when promotion seems too fast... more time is needed to acquire skills or Admirals should be able to acquire new skills... even if it means having the ability to discard a skill to gain a new one.

- Crew members. There could be times, when the pirate crew could mutiny and desert. This could be more likely when I haven't been too successful or when I visit a pirate hideout or "resort" planet. (In fact, a "resort" planet could tempt any type of crew from any type of ship to desert.) If I have a certain proportion of officers and marines, then the crew would be less likely to be able to mutiny.

"Free" Crew - Could also have defections from the opponent's crew at the end of a successful action... if I win and have crew space a few of the opponent's crew joins mine... or if I'm very famous and successful and visit planets or hideouts then crew members would ask to join my crew (for which I would incur no purchase cost)... the type of crew and locations depending on what my character is... pirates for a pirate, marines for a merc, regular crew for a trader, etc.

- Is there a penalty for canceling or not completing a mission? There probably should be something even if its just a loss of prestige points.

JWW

Post by JWW »

More interactions on the planet surface.  More things happening in the bar.  Could be a chance of random type events that help or harm the character, like, "Play poker, win X amount of credits."  Should be able to flirt with the waitress, or the bartender, whatever turns you on.  More character interactions of that type.  A partner would be interesting, of either gender, someone with certain attributes or characteristics or skills.  The ability to attract a partner either through romance or pay, like a secondary named character.  Some secondary named characters with special attributes would be interesting.

And like jdew said, some special interactions with governors. 

Planets should be less generic in those interactions, with certain things specific to certain planets and systems.

Some rare random events.  Maybe once in a while your ship is damaged when you're investigating a derelict ship.

Those are some thoughts for now.  
Rob Brennan UK

Post by Rob Brennan UK »

My 2c

More Gadgets for ship upgrades would be great and some race/faction specific ones too. Maybe make these available in pirate bases in enemy territory.

some sort of story line for each faction. Albeit this could be very time consuming on your programming time and is more of a distant wish although i think it would add a LOT of flavour to the game.

Penalties for failing a mission ? im not sure about that given the current boarding rules whereby if you progress past the cargo deck you face a LOT stiffer resistance and no "pull back and blow the shipup option" or alternatively see whats in the next section with some randomness associated so you dont commit to a blind attack on the bridge when the only outcomes are success or failure.

When you capture a ship some sort of comparison screen do decide which ship to take and current upgrades (that fit) can be transferred to the new vessel. IE corvette vs corvette combat not corvette vs destroyer as nothing would be compatible anyway.

Running out of crew on boarding always happens , even using the marines and bots only assault command the crew always dies and next movement takes forever.

More rewards for boarding and selling a ship, replacing the dead marines/officers/crew can be more costly than the value of selling off the prize ship (seems a bit off whack to me).

Other than those i agree with both previous posters ideas too.

More is better !

and thank you for taking the time to talk about future ideas for the game .. Great to see.

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

+1 for Rob Brennan's ideas.

More ship customization.
Maybe some type of tactical map
Choice of Auto resolve combat
More selections and skills once you reach Admiral (I made Admiral and then quit playing, didn't feel like anything was really left to do.) IMHO of course.
Combat started to feel really repetitive, and that needs to be addressed.

I enjoyed the game and thanks for listening.
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
ltfightr

Post by ltfightr »

I agree that the story line needs to be better. I know you did not want to make Homeworlds conqurable but maybe change that>

Also Combat is very repetative. Maybe turn down the random encounters but up the pay for missions.

I think that there should be more medals or promotions to aquire more skills. Even as others have said that you must give up other skills. But either way more skills.

I would like to see multi ship combat.

Some indication of the odds during a boarding action.

I also agree that the ability to buy droids or maybe earn them in some missions.

I also would like to see more ship options for equipment.

Thanks

Thanks
Support the Boy Scouts buy Popcorn!
http://www.trails-end.com/estore/scouts ... id=3133025
NielsB

Post by NielsB »

Thanks to everyone. But removing hero skills in favor of strictly equipment-based abilities would be a good or a bad idea?
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

I like hero skills. Just don't end it once you hit Admiral.

I like being able to buy varied equipment, just give us more choices in equipment. Choices in equipment could be based on mission just like loadouts for fighters?
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
jdew

Post by jdew »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

I agree; I think the skill selection is an integral part of the game.

NielsB

Post by NielsB »

ORIGINAL: jdew

ORIGINAL: sabre1

I agree; I think the skill selection is an integral part of the game.

Which is funny, because it wasn´t included until Smugglers 4. I am thinking about whether those skills couldn´t be included in the ship equipment, which would give the possibility to switch between different abilities by switching equipment or ships.
jdew

Post by jdew »

ORIGINAL: NielsB
Which is funny, because it wasn´t included until Smugglers 4. I am thinking about whether those skills couldn´t be included in the ship equipment, which would give the possibility to switch between different abilities by switching equipment or ships.

Interesting that skills are new. They certainly add a dimension to the game.

Now that you mention it, I like the idea. Some skills could be included in the ship equipment, but not all of them or perhaps not entirely. I think many of the combat abilities (SOS buoy, focused shield, reflection shield, evading, flee, tractor beam, spy, cloak, etc.) could be included in the ship equipment to give the basic function. Then, a character skill in those areas could provide a more advanced use of some of the combat skills. For example, one could purchase the cloaking equipment and use it though it might malfunction on occasions or not always be 100% effective but if the character had the cloaking skill, it would work perfectly all the time. In other words, having the equipment is one thing, but really knowing how to use it (having the "skill") makes it most effective.

Return to “Smugglers IV - Doomsday”