Solium Infernum - Strategy Game of the Year Game?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

killroyishere

Solium Infernum - Strategy Game of the Year Game?

Post by killroyishere »

I recently came upon this little jewel of a game called Solium Infernum and it's the best most innovating brand new style of playing game I've seen in years.

I'm not going to link to the official site in fairness to Matrixgames, but, as they don't mind us talking about Paradox and HPS and other publishers I don't think they will mind telling about this wonderful great superb game.
If you are interested in it I'm sure a google will help you find the main site anyway.

It's a game about becoming the ruler of Hell. You are a fiend and you can play against 5 other AI or player or a mix of both fiends. You have event cards you get to draw and play as well as the other players. You have the possibility to gather random resources to help you buy more legions, artifacts, relics, prators (heroes), manuscripts and rituals to attack your fellow fiends or increase the power of your own minons stats. In a way it's simular to Magic the Gathering as it has bonus stat cards like artifacts and relics you can attach to your minions.
It's not a hardcore wargame though by any means. In fact combat as we know it in most strategy and wargames is rather rare, but is still possible of course. You can banish minions, close down the bazaar, demand tribute from other players, insult them, or go begging on your knees with diplomats an so much more.
I will be honest and tell you upfront that the ai isn't that tough and good strategy players will probably beat it readily not long after their first game. It is still fun to play with all the things you can do in it.
You can custom create your own avatars or take a prebuilt one. There are many strategies in just creating your avatar and how you intend to play.

The real value of this particular game IS in multiplayer PBEM. It's really a simple game to learn and play but hard to master as it has so many cards and things you can do to effect another player or them you.

It is so refreshing to find something like this in a time where everything seems to be a repeat or a redo and the same ole same ole. I couldn't recommend another game more even with all the new stuff that came out in November just doesn't compare to this little jewel.
There is a demo so download it and try it and if you get hooked there's three places for setting up PBEM multiplayer games if you want to get into that.

I think the developer will improve the ai as there has been many comments about it on the main site so he's aware it needs some help.
Also one more thing to note is read the manual at least once through before trying to play. Even though it's really simple there are some things you just need to know so it won't be so daunting when you first see it. [:D]

Hertston

RE: Solium Infernum - Strategy Game of the Year Game?

Post by Hertston »

Excellent game, as Armageddon Empires fans (including me) expected. I suspect, though, that the AI might be indicative of a broader problem; that Vic's primary talent is as a game designer, not a coder. I have no idea of the capabilities of Adobe Director, never having used it, but I doubt it's the optimal tool for designing a great AI opponent. I hope the next project is an MP version of AE, but after that maybe it's time to take on a partner if necessary and move to using C++ or Java.

killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Hey haven't any of you others tried this game yet? You are missing a great game. Well at least great as far as potential. [:D] The multiplayer is fun but slow. It sucks he didn't include TCP/IP type of play in it. It's only 30 bucks remember you all always say you spend that much on one weekend at the movies so get them wallets out and support this guy. He made Armageddon Empires as well.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Doesn't look like something I'd be interested in.
Alba gu' brath
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I tried it but got bored after a few turns.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

I loved AE and like the look of this. Definitely a post-Christmas purchase for me. [:)]
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

Unbelievable-that would not be something for me. Game of the year? I would like to know who voted that in.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

lol - possibly two candidates at the top of this thread [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Unbelievable-that would not be something for me. Game of the year? I would like to know who voted that in.

That was strategy game of the year. Actually, based on pure game design it might have had my vote as well, but the poor AI and UI spoil the show somewhat IMHO.

P.S. As-is there is only one possible choice for strategy GotY IMHO, AI War: Fleet Command. Not that it will win any, of course.

killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

It's up to patch 1.04 now getting better. You're missing out if you don't try this. PBEM multiplayer is the best I've ever played.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

No thank you [:'(]
Alba gu' brath
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Yes you must buy or you will miss it. [:'(] It's better than HOI III and Empire Total War. [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”