'stuffing' the border

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

morgil

RE: 'stuffing' the border

Post by morgil »

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

I am a little confused. I havn't played with the updated rules, in fact it's been 10 years since I played (my god how have I survived). Anyways, am I hearing correctly that if you attack a unit and they survive, they get stronger? Under what conditions?

How does that model reality when there is sure to be a loss of men from the attack. Assuming they get re-inforced for losses of men and equipment from the attack (perhaps with green troops or conscripts), how do they become a better corps from the experience? Maybe, just from the experience itself? Like I said I'm confused.

22.4.14 Guards Banner Armies (LiF option 70)

Whenever Soviet land units are in land combat against any
German controlled land unit(s), the Soviets may be able to
”promote” one of their units to a Guards Banner unit of the same
type as that involved in the battle (e.g. ARM for ARM or MOT for
MOT etc.).
To find out whether you are eligible to promote a unit, add up the
following after each land combat.
For each German controlled corps/army sized unit:
* Killed, +3;
* Shattered, +2; or
* Retreated +1.
Double these values for HQs and halve them for division sized
units.
Subtract any losses you suffered using the same method. If the
result is still positive (i.e. you won this battle), you may
immediately promote 1 surviving unit.
Add this result to the combat factors of the unit you wish to
promote. You may replace the unit with a Guards Banner unit, of
the same type, if the total is equal to or more than the combat
factors of the Guards Banner unit. The replacing Guards Banner
unit maintains the same facing as the unit it replaces.

This is to reflect when a russian army of 5 man rifle teams, one with the rifle, one with spare ammo, and the last three waiting for the first to die so they could pick up the rifle and ammo, actually beat the germans, so that they now have twice the number of rifles in the team.

In our group, we have come to the conclution that a 42 Barbarossa is domed to failure, and if you want to pass more than one russian river you have to start in 41.
Gott weiss ich will kein Engel sein.
oscar72se

Post by oscar72se »

Maybe I have missed out on something that is already said here, but IRC the "stuffing problem" started when Harry Rowland decided USSR should "be more sexy to play". Subsequently the Russian PMs was increased significantly, was it +0.25 from 39-45?. If my memory serves me well the PMs prior to that didn't allow for any stuffing...

Also, I think that another reason for increasing the PMs and introducing the bonuses for Leningrad, Minsk and Kiev was to prevent the German Sitzkrieg Strategy.

So, the problem with stuffing isn't all that old and it isn't all that difficult to solve, an extra optional rule would definitely do the trick for me. But I think that Steve should regard this as a request for an update from some of the gamers. The game as is should do [:)]

Regards,
Oscar
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

If my memory serves me well the PMs prior to that didn't allow for any stuffing...

[:)]

Regards,
Oscar

I remember the WiF rules for older version 5. There was no stuffing, Germany could DOW USSR whenever he wanted if I am not mistaken. For USSR, it could DOW Germany when all his land units force pools was empty. If a russian player was doing his production with this in mind, he could DOW Germany in early 1943.
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
oscar72se

Post by oscar72se »

Ahhh... The good old days...
Breunor

Post by Breunor »

ORIGINAL: oscar72se

Ahhh... The good old days...

I think this is now getting out of hand.

Most World in Flames players people think that the rule changes form Wif 5 to WIFFE make the game better. How many people come to play Wif 5 at conventions and talk about it on boards? Of course certain rules are always examined but this issue, being brought up here, has not historically been a main topic. Some people on baordgamegeek say they prefer WIF 5 but that is a different crowd and it is a very small voice.

'Stuffing' or the Soviet production multipliers were not created to make the Soviets 'sexier'. People may think I'm lying, but the idea was to make forward defense vs. rear defense an interesting, difficult choice, and that the historical result (Soviets caught in a bad position at the border) can occur. The Soviet production modifiers have been debated endlessly since WIFFE came out, ADG and the gaming crowds have been trying to balance them for a long time and have a lot of options (Like Hitler's War) to give alternatives. The production multipliers are totally dominated by views on play balance.

Most people who know Harry Rowland will tell you he is trying to make a good, playable, fun game. The issue of which side is stronger is also endlessly debated, meaning that the game as a whole is working well. Right now the 'Allies are stronger side' appears to be in the majority, but apparently not so much so that major changes are in the works - there are many optional rules to alter play balance for the benefits of particular groups that want to swing balance based on their experience.

It all comes down to the issue that the posters on this forum are saying:

Stuffing is broken. The older players and the people playing at the tournaments over the last decade are just a bunch of bad players because they use rear defenses. They didn't realize that 41 Barbarossa's always win for the Axis and are superior to 42 Barbarossas.

Some of the older players actually knew this, and despite Harry Rowland's and about half of the WIFFE community personal view that a 42 Barbarossa is better, 42 Barbarossas are really done because stuffing is too good and it always wins; we suspect the reason that they CLAIM all of these other strategic benefits is to hide the fact that they know the 'secret' - all strategy in WIFFE is totally dominated by stuffing the border as the hidden way to always win, so they claim other reasons to fool the other people about the 'secret' they don't want to let out - therefore we can ignore the reasons they say they do 42 Barbarossas as ridiculous.

Finally, it is good thing that the people here got the computer game changed because Harry Rowland doesn't have the ability to make these decisions properly. After all, we all know stuffing is broken and Harry Rowland never stopped it, so this is proof that we are saving the game by going to Matrix and having them overrule ADG in the computer game specs. Harry, you are going to thank us one day! We now also know that he makes decisions for the game to be 'sexy' instead of properly worrying about play balance.

Old line crowd:

The game works fine as designed. Rules have been changed to accommodate issues that have come up but they have largely stood over time. Tournaments and to some degree discussion over boards are used as grounds to determine if the rules are working as specified. 41 Barbarossas and 42 Barbarossas are both good strategies with people roughly evenly on both sides of the fence. This has been the experience of the tournaments and the people posting on the boards. Forward and rear defenses are designed to be roughly even strategies.

At the tournaments rear defense are substantially more popular so it is hard to see why a strategy that is practically never used is considered broken and indeed there had been seriously discussion about making it stronger. The 42 Barbarossa crowd practically never list fear of forward defenses as a reason for their strategy. (Indeed, Harry Rowland once said that he thought one of Germany's biggest mistakes in the war was not taking Gibraltar and closing the Mediterranean after France fell.) Harry Rowland and ADG is in a better position to decide what are the proper rules and optionals than the Matrix programmers, have seen more tournaments, have played more, and in involved in these kinds of discussions far more than the Matrix programmers. (This isn't a knock on the Matrix programmers, but they just don't know WIFFE as well as Harry Rowland does.) We are open to the benefits of rear defenses but given how complex WIFFE is, it should be tested and proven at tournaments as evidence and some opinion from ADG before changes are made.

So, I guess I don't think the old line players like me are a bunch of morons; of course, the other crowd just thinks this is greater evidence of how severe a bunch of morons we are since we aren't willing to change our views even after the overwhelming evidence (theoretical evidence, not tournament results) of the 'secret' has been presented.

For me, some of these last posts have gotten to the point where the discussion is getting crazy. EVEN IF STUFFING IS BROKEN, it has not been some accidental issue coming from multiplier changes and the like - these have always been examined for their impact on the forward defense. If you want to say it is broken, fine, that is your opinion - if you say it hasn't been considered, thought about, and studied, you are just absolutely 100% wrong. If stuffing is broken, then it is because the assumptions you are using are different from the ones used by the ADG crowd in their calculations, not because they flippantly made rule changes to be 'sexy' and didn't consider this issue.

Good gaming,

Breunor
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Bruenor,

RAW8 is percolating in the skunkworks at ADG as we speak. It'll be interesting to revisit your last post after it is published.
Paul
Breunor

Post by Breunor »

My understanding (may be wrong) is that RAW 8 is mostly adding a compilation of rules clarifications (a good thing because they can be hard to access.)

The analysis that you guys have done on stuffing, to me, is well thought out - so I'm hoping we can see it being tested acorss the groups. My guess is that if changes are going to be made to adddress it, they probably start in an annual or something liek that, etc. Kind of like factories in flames or leaders in flames woudl be my guess. (Can we come up with a better naem than 'stuffing in flames'? it sounds like thanksgiving dinner that got burned.)

I absolutely admit I'm trying it in my next game! I'm not ready to say it is winning, I am ready to say that having read this forum, I like my chances my next game!

(So, to Paul, Hakon, etc. - thanks for the good analysis, you guys seem like you are bleeping good players!) Or if the computer game comes out soon ......[:)]

Good gaming,

Breunor
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

ORIGINAL: Breunor
...Harry Rowland and ADG is in a better position to decide what are the proper rules and optionals than the Matrix programmers, have seen more tournaments, have played more, and in involved in these kinds of discussions far more than the Matrix programmers. (This isn't a knock on the Matrix programmers, but they just don't know WIFFE as well as Harry Rowland does.)...

Hi Breunor,

There are no "Matrix programmers" involved in MWiF developpement. It's done by Steve, who is not an employee of this firm.

Thank you for all your posts on the suject, I'm really enjoying this discussion (thanks to all who posted here, whatever their opinion)

Alain

EDIT : "It's done by Steve" : MWiF is based on CWiF (who was done by Chris Marinacci). A lot has been changed since, obviously.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Caquineur
ORIGINAL: Breunor
...Harry Rowland and ADG is in a better position to decide what are the proper rules and optionals than the Matrix programmers, have seen more tournaments, have played more, and in involved in these kinds of discussions far more than the Matrix programmers. (This isn't a knock on the Matrix programmers, but they just don't know WIFFE as well as Harry Rowland does.)...

Hi Breunor,

There are no "Matrix programmers" involved in MWiF developpement. It's done by Steve, who is not an employee of this firm.

Thank you for all your posts on the suject, I'm really enjoying this discussion (thanks to all who posted here, whatever their opinion)

Alain

EDIT : "It's done by Steve" : MWiF is based on CWiF (who was done by Chris Marinacci). A lot has been changed since, obviously.
This page is not final (obviously) but it is fairly current.
===

Attachments
About.jpg
About.jpg (376.49 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Caquineur

Post by Caquineur »

When I cited Chris and Steve only, I was refering only to the programming part of the software (I didn't know Tess Stirling). I wasn't forgetting that the software as a whole is obviously the work of a team - sorry if I made myself misunderstood in this regard.

One question about the screenshot : shouldn't East and West be the other way around ? North and South seem OK to me [;)]

Alain

EDIT : spelling
micheljq

Post by micheljq »

Oh la la! Did someone had the patience to count the number of testers?
Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: Caquineur

When I cited Chris and Steve only, I was refering only to the programming part of the software (I didn't know Tess Stirling). I wasn't forgetting that the software as a whole is obviously the work of a team - sorry if I made myself misunderstood in this regard.

One question about the screenshot : shouldn't East and West be the other way around ? North and South seem OK to me [;)]

Alain

EDIT : spelling
[:D][:D]Yes. I'll get Rob to fix it.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

That nice that testers before 2006 have their name on this page. "I am happy" like droopy says.

Best regards

Skanvak
Nikolai II

Post by Nikolai II »

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

Potential abuse by the USSR as far as I understand the debate on stuffing. We can have an infinite debate on the political reason for waging a pseudo full war against Japan, but it did not happened.
If you want the game to replicate everything that happened - why bother playing? We know what happened.

Best reason to allow stuffing I have heard.

Only reason, even, given that Germany knew they were pitting 132 divisions against 134, counting Russias forward defence alone, and still went into war in '41.
Even if we give that Germany counted their soldiers worth double, they'd still not attack under the RAW :p

But given this is a computer game, couldn't we make an optional comparing the combat factors instead of teh garrison values? ;)
SLAAKMAN

Post by SLAAKMAN »

The only thing on the garrison ratio I would change is from a 2-1 German in '41 to 1.5-1 ratio. Thats more in line historically.
Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill
Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

It looks like we need a tool box for that.

Best regards

Skanvak

Return to “World in Flames”