Should I buy?

Armada 2526 continues the great tradition of space opera games. You guide your race from its first interstellar journeys, until it becomes a mighty galactic empire. Along the way, you'll explore the galaxy, conduct research, diplomacy and trade, found new colonies, maneuver mighty star fleets, and fight epic battles.

Moderator: MOD_Armada2526

Warspite3

Should I buy?

Post by Warspite3 »

Well, here is one of those "should I buy threads" [:D] Ok, I have always been a big fan of just about any space strategy game. My current favorites are... GalCiv2 (of course), Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, Space Empires V, and Lost Empire: Immortals. I am considering purchasing this one, I have seen some really good previews. So if I have all of the above games, I assume I can't go wrong with Armada 2526?
-Warspite3-
sabre1

RE: Should I buy?

Post by sabre1 »

Don't forget the best of the best, Emperor of the Fading Suns...

I'm waiting for LarryP to give me the green light, and he ain't sayin nuthin yet...

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
Tophat1815

Post by Tophat1815 »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Don't forget the best of the best, Emperor of the Fading Suns...

I'm waiting for LarryP to give me the green light, and he ain't sayin nuthin yet...

I liked Emperor of the fading suns myself,ah the memories.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I'd hold off. It's fun for a bit, but this has a lot of balance issues to be worked out before it becomes "fun".
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Here are some thoughts:

1. If you are a big fan of the genre, it's probably a must-buy. Not much else coming out of this quality.
2. It's much quicker and easier to get into than the other games you mentioned
3. It's almost as moddable as Space Empires, which I love, and looks a lot better than that game
4. The tactical battles are a weakness compared to SOTS. But I typically can't click fast enough to enjoy SOTS battles anyway.
5. Can't tell for sure yet, but the AI diplomacy seems pretty good. It was also designed as a single player game first, which bodes well for the AI.
6. With the map designer and editable XMLs, it offers more replay value than SOTS. Doesn't have as many set-up options as SOTS, however, if you're looking for a quick custom game.

Using the old formula of 1-hour entertainment = $2, you're getting a lot for $40!
kafka

Post by kafka »

It's almost as moddable as Space Empires, which I love, and looks a lot better than that game

well, I find armada is missing a crucial feature, ship design, which I find is really a must have for a 4X game nowadays, and though I like the game so far I think SE5 does offer a lot more of features and complexity, though unfortunately does not come, at least in vanilla, with an AI able to make good use of them
Janster

Post by Janster »

Trust me, SE V never worked ever, it was a waste of good money for me and many others. It did eventually get AI to work, but at the cost of waiting 5-10 mins /turn.

Ship design is fun, but not crucial, but combat that works would be nice.
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Trust me, I liked SE V after they patched it up some. Not a perfect game but not bad either. I still play it. For me the jury is still out on A2526. Time will tell.

one thing I would like to have is a time clock-not just turns. No big deal but its one of those little things that helps to get you into the game.
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
RavenX

Post by RavenX »

It's a fun little game so far. For my personal tastes though it's going to need a little modding to be perfect. Also the UI and camera controlls for combat could use a little work and/or polish to really shine.

If you're decent at understanding XML though this game truly has a lot of potential. I've got a lot of projects on my plate right now, but when I have time to sit down with this and make some custom races this will be golden. Out of all the 4X space games out right now I'd say the only one that beats this is Gal Civ 2 (especially for easy customization). Armada 2526 does capture that MoO feeling better then anything else I've tried lately though.
What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

Well, here is one of those "should I buy threads" [:D] Ok, I have always been a big fan of just about any space strategy game. My current favorites are... GalCiv2 (of course), Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, Space Empires V, and Lost Empire: Immortals. I am considering purchasing this one, I have seen some really good previews. So if I have all of the above games, I assume I can't go wrong with Armada 2526?

After two days I would rate this game as follows. The comparison has only those games that I have played recently so I excluded i.e Moo2:

Sword of the Stars>Empire at War>Armada2526>Sins of a Solar Empire>GalCiv2>Space Empires V/Lost Empire: Immortals.

Its not as good as Sots but from the start it has been more exciting game than galciv2. Its just slightly above sins because I dont like the fact that sins lacks the turn based galactic "strategy mode". I havent played either SEV or LE:I because I have found so much bad things about them. Empire at war has the SW bonus and its production quality easily puts it above armada.

Note that I put lot of importance on tactical battles which are usually done awfully in these games. Also Im not too interested of galactic strategy games based on excel sheets.

You can say lots of things about the tactical part of armada but its still nowhere as boring as the one in galciv2 or awful as in moo3 (I still cry at night when I remember it).

As for price if Id have to choose between digital 27€ or physical 44€ I would most likely choose the first one. Its easily worth 27€.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

So how did you rate them if you haven't played them?!  [;)]  Hear say?
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: Iceman

So how did you rate them if you haven't played them?!  [;)]  Hear say?
Lets just say that I studied them "intensively". Some games are so hard to decide whether buy or not that I put hours if not days of work on getting out every bit of info about them.
"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

Well if we are rating games that we've never played then I would rate them like this based on player input and some I've played.

Master of Orion 2 - Galactic Civilization 2 - Imperium Galactium - Reach for the Stars - Sword of the Stars - Armada 2526 [:D] - Emperor of the Fading Sun - Sins of the Solar Empire - Space Empires V - Lost Empires:Immortals [:D] (I don't find GalCiv2 boring in the least)

Best Sci-fi space rpgs?
Starflight - Star Control 2 - The Sentinel

Best Sci-fi space simulations?
Freelancer - X3 series - Privateer 2 - Privateer

Best Sci-fi strategy?
X-Com series

Best Sci-fi ground rpg?
Wasteland - Fallout I - II

Best Sci-fi FPS?
???? Fallout III?
laika

Post by laika »

ORIGINAL: killroyishere

Well if we are rating games that we've never played then I would rate them like this based on player input and some I've played.

Master of Orion 2 - Galactic Civilization 2 - Imperium Galactium - Reach for the Stars - Sword of the Stars - Armada 2526 [:D] - Emperor of the Fading Sun - Sins of the Solar Empire - Space Empires V - Lost Empires:Immortals [:D] (I don't find GalCiv2 boring in the least)

Best Sci-fi space rpgs?
Starflight - Star Control 2 - The Sentinel

Best Sci-fi space simulations?
Freelancer - X3 series - Privateer 2 - Privateer

Best Sci-fi strategy?
X-Com series

Best Sci-fi ground rpg?
Wasteland - Fallout I - II

Best Sci-fi FPS?
???? Fallout III?

Great list

For me

Imperium Galactica 2>MOO2>Nexus: The Jupiter Incident>Armada2526(maby on third place but i need more to play)>Sins>Sword of the Stars>Emperor of the Fading Sun>Lost Empires:Immortals>ORB

Best Sci-fi strategy
Battle Isle series(but the Andosian war was the best of the series)

Best Sci-fi ground rpg
FO1 and FO2>Battle isle:incubation

Best Sci-fi space simulations
Tie fighter>X-wing>X3 series

06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

As I have never had even one space game, I appreciate the comments in this thread (most, anyway). I am getting an idea as to what is good and not so good. I'm installing a demo for sins right now. I doubt I would keep that one, but it will help in creating "benchmark" for these games.
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

killroyishere

Post by killroyishere »

BTW 06Maestro Sins is on sale for $9.99 at Stardock Impulse site. Not sure if it comes with all expansions I got an email about it couple days ago though.
Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

I dont do it for all games but I think its pretty universal knowledge that Space Empires V and Lost Empire: Immortals are failures atleast in regards to their singleplayer (I dont care about MP). I mean you dont have to eat dirt just to know that it tastes bad do you? [:D]

Of course if somone disagrees then Im more than happy to hear him. Perhaps there is som patch/mod to these games that makes them all that better i.e by adding a challenging AI? I checked Lost Empire just today and atleast the official forums seemd a bit dead.

"Nexus: The Jupiter Incident"

This while an excellent storybased space wargame is not a 4x game so I would not compare it to the rest even though its somkind of sequel to the imperium galactica series.

Lately I bought Imperium galactica 1 & 2 used and while I dont think that anyone but me would want to play the first one Ive heard lots of good of second one. Ill reserve my judgement for once I finally see it myself.
06 Maestro

Post by 06 Maestro »

BTW 06Maestro Sins is on sale for $9.99 at Stardock Impulse site. Not sure if it comes with all expansions I got an email about it couple days ago though.

Thanks for the tip, but I'm just window shopping right now. I did notice that they have multiple expansions for the game at 9.99 each. Looks like it could be a hundred dollar game-if one chose.

The graphics look pretty good in Sins, I wonder how they compare to this game?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

Zakhal

Post by Zakhal »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Sins has clearly better graphics but it feels more like an RTS game than 4x because there is no turn-based part in it at all. Id say its a pure RTS game mixed with elements from 4x games. A hybrid of sorts.

I always get a bit depressed when I play sins. Its weird. Perhaps because I dont like pure RTS games and hate to see potential for good 4x game spoiled that way. Its a 4x game for those with short attension span as somone might say.
Terl

Post by Terl »

ORIGINAL: 06 Maestro

Thanks for the tip, but I'm just window shopping right now. I did notice that they have multiple expansions for the game at 9.99 each. Looks like it could be a hundred dollar game-if one chose.

I don't think so. The diplomacy one, the latest, is billed as the last mini-expansion to the game. It is really quite fun to play.

Return to “Armada 2526 Series”