Kick after a safety

Discussion of the rules of football and how they pertain to the game.

Moderator: David Winter

VCFL Commish

Kick after a safety

Post by VCFL Commish »

What a strange looking play.It looked like a punt from the kicker with out the snap back.I was watching Pittsburgh at Philadelphia.I never seen a play like that before but I don`t watch that much American Football.Does kicking it like that make the ball go farther or shorter?
Arctic Blast

RE: Kick after a safety

Post by Arctic Blast »

ORIGINAL: VCFL Commish

What a strange looking play.It looked like a punt from the kicker with out the snap back.I was watching Pittsburgh at Philadelphia.I never seen a play like that before but I don`t watch that much American Football.Does kicking it like that make the ball go farther or shorter?

Whenever a team gives up a safety, they have to punt the ball off like that, rather than kick it off like they normally do.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

It's called a free kick.

It may be a punt, placekick, or even a dropkick, but a tee cannot be used, so the ball is almost always punted.
Cryolemon

Post by Cryolemon »

I'm also fairly sure that the kicking team in that situation can recover if the ball goes ten yards. As far I know it's never (or very rarely) been attempted.
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

Marauders

Are you sure a tee cannot be used on a free kick? I thought I remember Mike Cofer attempting a 63 yarder with the 49ers many moons on a free kick at the end of a half, and I'm almost positive he used a tee.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

DirkGildun

Post by DirkGildun »

Brockleigh,

A free kick cannot be done with a tee. Someone has to hold the ball (like on a PAT or FG). But there is no defensive rush.

I remember Mac Percival of the Bears beating the Packers on a free kick (after a punt fair catch inside the 50) on the last play of a game back in the '60s.

Dirk Gildun
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

A free kick after a safety cannot be used to try a field goal.

There is a free kick that can be used after a fair catch. That can be used to try for a field goal, but no tee can be used under NFL rules (a tee can be used in high school).

Mike Cofer tried a 60 yard free kick in a playoff against the Vikings in 1989, but he missed. There have been three other attempts in the NFL since, and all have failed as well.

Return to “Rules”