Resting Mode: Ideal for Building & Leading?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Anthropoid

Resting Mode: Ideal for Building & Leading?

Post by Anthropoid »

The manual left me a bit unsure about a point having to do with the operational mode setting. It is clear that fatigue and disruption will drop faster while resting/training, and that prep for a target will build up quicker with the tradeoff that fighting power is reduced compared to in Combat mode.

But what about Engineer and HQ units?

Do Enginner units build/repair best in Combat, Reserve or in Rest/Train mode?

Do HQ units administrate best in Combat, Reserve or in Rest/Train mode?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ ... playnext=3
Chickenboy

RE: Resting Mode: Ideal for Building & Leading?

Post by Chickenboy »

Can't answer re: HQ units. I don't THINK Rest mode affects their activities, but am unsure.

For the base units, engineers, and the like they need to be in Combat mode to build, repair damage, etc.
bklooste

Post by bklooste »

I thought engineers are only active in combat mode would make sense as they need supplies etc.
Underdog Fanboy
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Cool thanks! Would be good to know if there is any reason to ever put HQs in reserve to make them safer or something.

Wonder if an ENG still does its job on half function or anything when it is on Reserve Op Mode?
The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

Wonder if an ENG still does its job on half function or anything when it is on Reserve Op Mode?

One of the devs said that engineers need to be in combat mode to do their stuff.
Created by the amazing Dixie
pad152

Post by pad152 »

A good way to save supplies and training land units is to have them rest/train but, be careful if resting units are in land combat will take heavy casualties. I always do this for land units (non-engineer) in Japan and Korea or for land units in USA.

Not sure about HQ's, I really wish there was a way to see if HQ are providing benefits and/or units are receiving them from HQ's.

Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

ORIGINAL: pad152

A good way to save supplies and training land units is to have them rest/train but, be careful if resting units are in land combat will take heavy casualties. I always do this for land units (non-engineer) in Japan and Korea or for land units in USA.

Not sure about HQ's, I really wish there was a way to see if HQ are providing benefits and/or units are receiving them from HQ's.

Rest mode has no effect whatsoever on supply usage, nor on training speed. As far as I can tell, it's only useful to recover morale, disruption and fatigue faster.
The AE-Wiki, help fill it out
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

According to earlier posts by the devs, LCU's in Rest mode will also upgrade their equipment to the latest and greatest, assuming enough of the device is available and enough supply is at the base.

Putting LCU's on Rest mode in, say, the West US HQ group ends up having those garrison units upgraded to the best stuff, while your Marine and Army divisions are on the front line with the outdated stuff.

The part about all this that bugs me is I have Absolutely No Idea when a device is about to update to a better version, or which unit will get the goodies if I put several on Rest mode.  As an experiment I put some units at Noumea and Pearl on Rest mode, and could not really tell which ones had changed and which ones hadn't.

Is it possible to add to the Ops report a message saying "3rd Marine Regiment updated infantry squads" or something like that?  It would be really, really helpful to find out where the updated devices are actually going.
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

There is a difference between upgrading devices and upgrading the TOE of a unit. To upgrade the TOE, the unit needs to be in rest mode. (Note that this isn't always an 'upgrade', the coastal AA battalions loose quite a number of their AA guns when 'upgrading' their TOE). To upgrade devices, the units needs to have 'allow replacements' turned on. To follow this up, I think it's best to use AEtracker. In the devices tab you can see which device upgrade to which other, when these become available, the pools, etc. It's still a lot of work to monitor it this way though.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

I thought the "allow replacements" button just allowed the TO&E to fill out to its full strength, and repair/replace lost/damaged devices, not to upgrade devices to the latest and greatest.  I've had plenty of LCU's get back to full strength with "allow replacements" turned on, and they didn't have to be in Rest mode to do it.

It was my understanding that Rest mode allowed the devices to upgrade, and improve morale and disruption levels.
oldman45

Post by oldman45 »

John, I don't let any of my rear area troops (west coast) add reinforcements and this seems to keep them from upgrading.

My question about HQs are;

I have a division rebuilding, the base is slowly building up supplies and there is an army HQ with the division. Question is the division is not in the chain of command of the HQ. The HQ doesn't appear to be adding any support to the division. Is that how its supposed to be?

Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

No, devices can upgrade just fine when not in rest mode, as long as "allow replacements" is on. The game treats sending extra devices and upgrading them (nearly) the same.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

So what does the Rest mode do, other than keep the units out of combat (assuming there are others doing the fighting)?
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

Build morale, lower disruption and fatigue and it's needed to upgrade (or downgrade) a units TOE.
Anthropoid

Post by Anthropoid »

Also, as long as there is a spanner in the ToE, Rest Mode allows the nuts to be tightened.
John Lansford

Post by John Lansford »

ORIGINAL: Smeulders

Build morale, lower disruption and fatigue and it's needed to upgrade (or downgrade) a units TOE.

What do you mean by "upgrade the unit's TO&E"? I've seen units fill out their TO&E from fragments evacuated from bases without them going into Rest mode, and in this thread some here have said that devices will upgrade as long as "allow replacements" is turned on. What else is there?
Smeulders

Post by Smeulders »

Upgrading TOEs is a bit of a hidden part of the game, I didn't know it existed until there was a thread where one of the developers mentioned it. When you're in the unit screen, let it display the TOE, in some cases, the line just about the TOE will be yellow. Click it, and it will show the TOE of the unit when upgraded and the time until this upgrade. If it's time for the TOE upgrade and you put the unit on rest, it's TOE will change. Not all units have a TOE upgrade, but I've seen units that can upgrade, some infantry units of the Indian army and the coastal AA batallions of the USA. There probably are a bunch of others as well.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”