TURKEY TROTS TO WATER

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

xj900uk

RE: TURKEY TROTS TO WATER

Post by xj900uk »

From World War I :

Should have been 'Send Reinforcements, we're going to Advance',  but it was presented at GHQ as 'Send three and four pence,  we're going to a dance'.
joey

Post by joey »

This may not be a radio message, but it is an interesting conversation anyway. It is between Admiral Tripitz and the Kaiser concering declaring war in 1914.
Tripitz, "Why do we have to declare war against France? We are already at war with them; they are bombing us! What value is declaring war in that case?"
Kaiser, "They are only bombing us because we are telling the world they are, so that they look like the agressor. There not really bombing us"
Tripitz, "What does that matter? They are bombing us!"
Braedonnal

Post by Braedonnal »

"Good luck, Joe.  Keep after him.  Your picture is on the piano."  Message from Adm. Lockwood to Joe Enwright on Archerfish while hunting Shinano.

"We do not recognize you."
"Cactus, this is Lee.  Tell your big boss Ching Lee is here and wants the latest infomation."
"There go two big ones, but I don't know who they are."
"This is Ching Chong China Lee! Chinese, catchee? Refer your boss about Ching Lee. Call off your boys!"
"Identity established. We are not after you."

Exchange between Cactus, PT boats out of Tulagi, Admiral Lee prior to Second Battle of Guadalcanal.
If a country can't save itself through the volunteer service of its own free people, then I say: Let the damned thing go down the drain!
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

"cq - cq- cq - transmit to Mr. Churchill. I have sunk the British steamer "Firby". Posit 59.40 North and 13.50 West. Save the crew, if you please.
German submarine."

Korvettenkapitan  Herbert Schultze
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Tom_Holsinger

Post by Tom_Holsinger »

It was Pappy Boyington in a USMC Corsair. He was dodging in and out of clouds over a Japanese airfield while pursued by many Zeroes. He heard another American pilot complain about not being able to find any of the enemy. If my recollection is correct, Pappy hit his microphone button and replied,

"Why you silly bastard, come to Angels ## (his altitude) over the X corner of Y island. I've got ## cornered of them over here!"
ORIGINAL: wdolson

The one I like is the Hellcat pilot during, I think, the raid on Formosa.  TF 38 faced a similar situation to the Battle of the Philippine Sea except without the Japanese carriers (all Japanese A/C were land based).  The pilot called out, "I have about 50 Zeroes surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill
Kwik E Mart

Post by Kwik E Mart »

Tokyo Rose: "Hello you fighting orphans in the Pacific. How’s tricks? This is “After her weekend, and oooh, back on the air, strictly under union hours.” Reception okay? Why, it better be, because this is All-Requests night. And I’ve got a pretty nice program for my favorite little family, the wandering boneheads of the Pacific Islands. The first request is made by none other than the boss. And guess what? He wants Bonnie Baker in “My Resistance is Low.” My, what taste you have, sir, she says."
Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

The one I like is the Hellcat pilot during, I think, the raid on Formosa. TF 38 faced a similar situation to the Battle of the Philippine Sea except without the Japanese carriers (all Japanese A/C were land based). The pilot called out, "I have about 50 Zeroes surrounded and I'm all alone, I could use some help!"

Bill
ORIGINAL: Tom_Holsinger

It was Pappy Boyington in a USMC Corsair. He was dodging in and out of clouds over a Japanese airfield while pursued by many Zeroes. He heard another American pilot complain about not being able to find any of the enemy. If my recollection is correct, Pappy hit his microphone button and replied,

"Why you silly bastard, come to Angels ## (his altitude) over the X corner of Y island. I've got ## cornered of them over here!"

Boyington may have said something similar, but I looked it up. The incident I was thinking of was Wilbur "Spider" Webb of VF-2 on June 19,1944 over Guam. He did shoot down five of them becoming an ace in a day.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

From the past - "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!" or in the vernacular of the War of Northern Aggression "Damn, the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" The last comment might be best suited to when Bettys & Nells are around [:'(]
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

From the past - "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!!!" or in the vernacular of the War of Northern Aggression "Damn, the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" The last comment might be best suited to when Bettys & Nells are around [:'(]

A classic quote, but more suited when a minefield is detected. In the time of the Civil War, torpedoes were a reference to mines. [;)]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Here's another one, " Is patch 2 ready yet?"  - USS America.  [:D]
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
vonTirpitz

Post by vonTirpitz »

ORIGINAL: geobaz

During the Battle of Jutland, and shortly after a salvo struck HMS Princess Royal a signalman promptly leapt onto the bridge of Admiral Beatty's flagship, HMS Lion, and announced "Princess Royal's blown up, Sir." Beatty famously turned to his flag captain, saying "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today."

Beatty's comment is by far my favorite thus far [&o]

That is right up there with Futurama's Captain Zap Brannigan when he shouts at his own troops... "Stop exploding you cowards!" [:D]

T
dorjun driver

Post by dorjun driver »

ORIGINAL: USS America

Here's another one, " Is patch 2 ready yet?"  - USS America.  [:D]

USS America spots the question (and wins one free internet)!
x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT
stevemk1a

Post by stevemk1a »

A good exchange I read a while back on another forum involves RN Admiral Cunningham during a sortie into the Eastern Med. Apparently, his fleet was being shadowed by an Italian Caproni bomber. A large Sunderland flying boat happend upon the scene, and the following transmissions ensued:

"Am giving chase," came one message from the Sunderland.

A little later, "Am engaging Caproni."

Finally, "Have splashed Caproni." To which the Admiral sent a reply, "You big bully."
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

heh i like that part in the movie "Mister Robert", that Captain always giving him a hard time. Remember that pet palm tree he had on the deck chained up? "Now hear this, im gonna get that sonofabitch and take him from the rear!" This is the part when tony curtis threw that tree overboard, and the capt want to know who done it.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Chief from quad-mounted 40mm AA gun on CVE White Plains (in Task Force "Taffy 3") in Battle of Samar, when IJN cruiser Chokai and 3 other cruisers were closing in:

"Hold on a little longer, boys! We are sucking them into 40mm range!"

Same action, Ernest E. Evans, commanding USS Johnston: "Prepare to attack major portion of Japanese fleet!"
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

RevRick

Post by RevRick »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Chief from quad-mounted 40mm AA gun on CVE White Plains (in Task Force "Taffy 3") in Battle of Samar, when IJN cruiser Chokai and 3 other cruisers were closing in:

"Hold on a little longer, boys! We are sucking them into 40mm range!"

Same action, Ernest E. Evans, commanding USS Johnston: "Prepare to attack major portion of Japanese fleet!"

They really ought to name a Burke Class after this Captain. One of, it not the best, example of tin can fighting in USN history.
"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

"This is the Henderson Field Designs answering machine. We've all decided to take the rest of 2009 and the first three quarters of 2010 off. Look for patch 2 sometime in December 2010."
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
BaitBoy

Post by BaitBoy »

ORIGINAL: Mynok

And let us not forget the greatest of sea admirals who said:

“No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.”

In WitP I had an RN aircraft capt. who lived (and died) by this saying . . .
"You go over there and attract their attention while I . . . "

Member Henchmen and Sidekicks Local 272
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

At the battle of Leyte Gulf, just before the Rear Admiral (can't remember his name) was about to order his DD's & DE's to attack Kurita's massive battleships & heavy cruisers,  he sent a signal around his fleet - 'We now have the opportunity to really kick some Japanese Ass hard' then turned to his second-in-command and asked him in a curiously timid voice 'Can you swim?'
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

heh i like that part in the movie "Mister Robert", that Captain always giving him a hard time. Remember that pet palm tree he had on the deck chained up? "Now hear this, im gonna get that sonofabitch and take him from the rear!" This is the part when tony curtis threw that tree overboard, and the capt want to know who done it.
Uh, Tony Curtis wasn't in Mr. Roberts. It was Henry Fonda.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”