Wishlist

In this elegant turn-based strategy game, compelling gameplay combines with gripping history to create an addictive mix. Aimed at all levels, from those who have never played a wargame before to those who know the history of World War II in detail, this is an entertaining and mentally challenging game of combined arms strategy. Your armor, infantry, artillery and air units will follow you through the most crucial battles of the Eastern Front. You will be able to choose from 47 different upgrades and improvements for your units as well as add new forces based on your success in the campaign. Take command in two German and one Soviet campaign as well as individual scenarios and determine the fate of the Eastern Front.

Moderators: Ronald Wendt, RalfZenker

Rosseau

RE: Wishlist

Post by Rosseau »

Finding a minor issue with the sound. When I adjust the music lower and battle effects higher, or whatever, can't hear the battle effects at all. Will keep trying, however.

Also getting some CTDs in Editor. Of course, that is expected initially, and I need to send you the crash reports I guess.

One thing is the Editor needs better documentation, considering this is a part of the game and not a "free" add-on like some devs throw in there.

Most is self-explanatory, except for effects of setting players types--i.e., I set the Russian AI to go first in a game and the battle began on the intro map screen. Couldn't see anything, heard the battle sounds and when over got to play my first turn. Not a huge issue, but should be fixed.

(Edit: Restarted the computer and the sound issue went away. Thanks)
sliver_bullet

Post by sliver_bullet »

NATO and Strategic Map/Zoom Out Option

With these 2 , the game will be 9/10 for me ....[:)][:)]
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Regarding Ogre - I know Erik has said that it is going to be made more intuitive but I just remembered what threw me right off the mark with this game when I first loaded it up - not expecting to see anything called "Ogre" at all.

I've just re-installed the game to give it another go.

Just so we can recall, here's what the game greets us with on first clicking "Play" [:D]

I think there's plenty of opportunity to make this more user friendly!

Attachments
OgreStartUp.jpg
OgreStartUp.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 103 times
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

This sticky post tells you what to do next...

tm.asp?m=2241157
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

Sorry Matrix but I'm abandoning Op Barb because I just don't like the 3D graphics, give me a whistle when an update comes out with an option for 2D 'counter' graphics and i'll come back to it.;)
"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
mossicon

Post by mossicon »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

This sticky post tells you what to do next...

tm.asp?m=2241157

you shouldn't need to go on a forum though.

personally i had no problems with it but it was a surprsie and i can definitely see why other people would be bewildered.
mossicon

Post by mossicon »

ORIGINAL: Poor Old Spike
SITREP- Op Barb isn't drawing as much interest at my Few Good Men club as i thought it would, as most people are put off by the "toytown/legoland" graphics which act as a 'sound barrier' through which they can't or won't penetrate to the game beyond, so i can't emphasise enough how 2D counters should be given highest priority on the wishlist.

people should certainly be given an option, but you should tell these guys to stop taking gaming so seriously.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Sorry Matrix but I'm abandoning Op Barb because I just don't like the 3D graphics, give me a whistle when an update comes out with an option for 2D 'counter' graphics and i'll come back to it.;)

I just don't get this. What is the big deal about 2D counters in a game like this? Why is that a game breaker?[&:]
gunnergoz

Post by gunnergoz »

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

I just don't get this. What is the big deal about 2D counters in a game like this? Why is that a game breaker?[&:]
Well, there are grogs and there are picky grogs and there are super-picky grogs. And then there's people who just want to have fun. It takes all kinds. I don't envy matrix! We are a tough crowd to please.
"Things are getting better!
...Well, maybe not as good as they were yesterday, but much better than they will be tomorrow!"
-Old Russian saying
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

You aren't the only one a bit baffled.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

LOL because when I look at the game I say:
I just don't get this.

I just don't get why people say they just don't get something [;)]

Larac

Post by Larac »

Also check the settings in Windows Under Control Panel Mouse (maybe Pointing Device on Some), should be a Speed of Double click there as well.

Hope it helps.

Lee
Mike Parker

Post by Mike Parker »

For me it isn't quite a gamebreaker but 3D without a 2D option has a hug Ugh! factor for me.

I could give a flip about 3D graphics, pretty eye-candy intrigues me for about 10 minutes. Op Barb has so much more to offer, I will say I found it difficult to play the game until I got to the point of ignoring the 3D stuff, then I could immerse into the game play itself.

When you add the following, 3D is just a thorn poking in my side irritating me.
-The 3D rendering causes visual errors where units flip to the wrong orientation or even upside down INTO the map
-The units when they move do so slowly in rendered beauty instead of quickly and concisely as they do in even old PG. I want to move fast, because I like to move a unit, see how it looks, see where another unit COULD move in support, then to be able to undo the move and look at other combo's the slow 3D rendered movement makes this an exercise of my patience. I would rather have crisp responding 2D.
-The 3D makes choosing the proper hex to move something of a chore, meaning I concern myself all too often with worrying about what hex I am clicking rather than the important things like what the enemy units might do to me.
-The zoom which is I am near certain limited because of the 3D effects is too limited, give me smooth zoom with many many levels so I can get into the strategy of the thing.
-This is a strategic/operational level game, having animated soldiers and tanks just doesn't do it for me, it detracts from the look and feel.

I am NOT saying do away with the 3D, some folks are into that sort of thing, and I know it makes the product more attractive marketing wise, I would like to have a 2D (or emulated 2D) optional environment.
vonRocko

Post by vonRocko »

Ok, Mike, I can understand those reasons.Thanks
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hello,
ORIGINAL: Mike Parker
-The units when they move do so slowly in rendered beauty instead of quickly and concisely as they do in even old PG. I want to move fast, because I like to move a unit, see how it looks, see where another unit COULD move in support, then to be able to undo the move and look at other combo's the slow 3D rendered movement makes this an exercise of my patience. I would rather have crisp responding 2D.

You can turn the animation off and the units will immediately be placed on the target field.
ORIGINAL: Mike Parker
-The zoom which is I am near certain limited because of the 3D effects is too limited, give me smooth zoom with many many levels so I can get into the strategy of the thing.
You can zoom stageless with Page-up/down or the mouse wheel.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Whenever I see little men and tanks I am hardwired to look for tactical motifs - fields of fire, dead ground, cover, concealment, suppression arcs etc. and can't get into the mindset of working at the operational level. Call it personal preference, heck even personal limitation!

I'll buy when there's counters. Even 3D counters!
PoorOldSpike

Post by PoorOldSpike »

vonRocko:

Look around the net and you'll see at least half of all wargamers saying they won't touch Op Barb because of the "childish 3D graphics".
If Matrix give them a "2D counter" option it'd double the sales of the game.
"Fight with your brain first and your weapons second!"
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

Screen issues

- Faster scrolling, please. It´s sloooooow.

- Allow more zoom out as stated before.

- Slower combat resolution in AI turn. Now if you blink you´ll miss the combat results.

- Center the screen on active AI unit when they move.

- Put an icon on units that have upgraded and have one slot available.

- Please add an icon for low fuel/ammo. It´s too easy to forget about supplies as fuel runs our very quickly.

AI issues

- When having a recon unit in sight the AI is somewhat suicidal, forgeting the presence of the rest of enemy forces and attacking them no matter the cost. This is OK for isolated recce units but not damaged ones that are behind your lines.

Game issues

- Allow mechanised units to attack when mounted (with penalities)

Unit issues

- I´ve not played a lot of missions but the only german AA unit seems to be the 88 flak gun. There where several tracked vehicles with light 20 or 37mm flak guns available in 1941. They would allow a more active AA defence. I would like to see them available.

- What about allowing 88 flak guns a dual role?. Both AA and AT.

- Why the StugIII is in the "Antitank" section? They were mobile direct artillery support, not AT units!

- I dislike the regular german infantry grapic. They should be portrayed with rifles instead of SMG´s (that would be volksgrenadier units)
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

Look around the net and you'll see at least half of all wargamers saying they won't touch Op Barb because of the "childish 3D graphics".
If Matrix give them a "2D counter" option it'd double the sales of the game.

The game is essentially a Beer&Pretzel one...no need for hardcore gamers to use the symbols. I think it was made with casual gamers (and PG fans) in mind so i EXPECT little 3d graphics...the game wouldn´t catch my attention otherwise.
Deadmoon

Post by Deadmoon »

I don´t think this could be implemented but...what about allowing the purchase of units at half-strength or so?

Unlike in PG, a "5" or "4" strength unit is capable of resisting attacks and it´s not automatically crushed by "10" units so they are perfect as rear guard units. The core army isn´t very big and each unit is needed elsewhere so cheap infantry units to deal with the odd enemy that may infiltrate behind the lines would be very useful.

Return to “Operation Barbarossa: The Struggle for Russia”