Reserve pilot pool screen improvement

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Micke II

Reserve pilot pool screen improvement

Post by Micke II »

Reserve pilot pool: is it possible to improve ergonomics of the system?

I find really difficult to use properly the information contained in the reserve pilot pool information screen and to link this information with the air units present on the map.
When the name of a pilot dedicated to a specific air unit appears on this screen and if you want take this particular pilot out of the pool for a replacement in the air unit for which the pilot is affected you have to make several operations:
-Got out of this screen
-Open the air unit information screen to find where this “bloody” unit is.
-click on the name of the unit to open the information screen
- click to get the new pilot (but you have a 50% chance to discover that the air unit is not ready to accept a new pilot)
- come back to the reserve pilot information screen and redo the same for the next name on the list.
You can do it the other way:
- You are in the information screen of a air unit which needs replacements for its pilots You never know in advance if there is a pilot ready in the pool for this specific unit or if the pilot will come from the reserve or from the training pool with a lower experience.
I would like see in the next patch, or the patch after, clickable links to make easier all these operations which are very time consuming and very boring.
An interesting tool could be also to get, when you click on the button “get a new pilot”, a screen with the names and characteristics of the pilots appearing in the same manner for replacement of leader of a squadron or leader of a ship.
I hope the designers can do something in this area.

treespider

RE: Reserve pilot pool screen improvement

Post by treespider »

I see changes in your future....

Attachments
carnac.gif
carnac.gif (41.62 KiB) Viewed 80 times
Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

ORIGINAL: treespider

I see changes in your future....

???? [&:]
Do you mean you will make it ? [:D]
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

Changes are a coming...  (in patch 2 that is)

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

I recommend getting a screenshot of the available pilots.  Print it off to save some time.  (Gotta do the best we can with the tools we have.) [:D]
Created by the amazing Dixie
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

From where do get this information ?
morganbj

Post by morganbj »

Yeah, in patch 2 there are two additional screens you'll have to open to do the same thing...

[:D][:D]

It's change you can believe in.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Micke II

Post by Micke II »

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

Yeah, in patch 2 there are two additional screens you'll have to open to do the same thing...

[:D][:D]

It's change you can believe in.

Excellent news [:D]
Kereguelen

Post by Kereguelen »

ORIGINAL: Micke II

ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

From where do get this information ?

wdolson and tree are members of the development team.
GB68

Post by GB68 »

This is good news. I have found the reserve pilot screen somewhat ambigious and intimidating as well. Intimidating mainly because of being unsure of the positive and/or negative effects.

But, one thing I discovered the other day, which really should have been obvious, was the fact while you can place pilots in the training command. You can also withdraw them back to active duty later. Which as the Japanese, is a positive strategy which could become useful over time. Perhaps you could see it as a true "safe" reserve pool as long as over time you placed enough pilots there. Say from Dec '41 to Dec '43 you placed 200-300 pilots there and then in early 1944, you could withdraw them to fill out certain squadrons as a "rapid reponse force" , so to speak.

Just a possible strategy to augment other long term plans for the Japanese.
"Are you going to come quietly, or do I have to use earplugs?"
- Spike Milligan
Kereguelen

Post by Kereguelen »

ORIGINAL: GB68

This is good news. I have found the reserve pilot screen somewhat ambigious and intimidating as well. Intimidating mainly because of being unsure of the positive and/or negative effects.

But, one thing I discovered the other day, which really should have been obvious, was the fact while you can place pilots in the training command. You can also withdraw them back to active duty later. Which as the Japanese, is a positive strategy which could become useful over time. Perhaps you could see it as a true "safe" reserve pool as long as over time you placed enough pilots there. Say from Dec '41 to Dec '43 you placed 200-300 pilots there and then in early 1944, you could withdraw them to fill out certain squadrons as a "rapid reponse force" , so to speak.

Just a possible strategy to augment other long term plans for the Japanese.

The IJN actually tried something like this by forming the 343rd Kokutai in 1944 (with Minoru Genda in command of this elite unit).

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”