European Diplomacy v2 - Germany

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and bitter defeats here.

Moderator: Vic

Westheim

European Diplomacy v2 - Germany

Post by Westheim »

Something different after I fell flat on my face with random maps once more. The map seems to be interesting enough for a game, and we all know I'll be done by round 12 ...

I chose Germany for - ... well, I had reasons [:D]. Although it may be one of the two most poor starting positions on the map (the other being the Balkans). With bordering Scandinavia, Russia, The Balkans, Italy, and France I have to a) hope for a little luck so they don't all go after me immediately, and b) choose one to rush and take down.

I'm going for France, since Amsterdam seems to be very close. Vienna would be, too, but there my navy would not be able to support me. So, I'm throwing most of my initial forces west to the 2nd Army I HQed in Bonn for the moment. The 1st Army is in Prague to be built up as a force to _maybe_ threaten Vienna and ultimately shield my southeast. I'm hoping for the Russians and Scandinavians to take some time to build up (and maybe tear open each other's throats - that'd be fun!), so I won't put up a strong army in the east too soon.

My biggest problem in round 1 was the scarcity of trucks, which hindered me in sending units everywhere I wanted them to be. [:(]

Attachments
EDgermany1.jpg
EDgermany1.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!
Westheim

RE: European Diplomacy v2 - Germany

Post by Westheim »

Round 2; Boy was I wrong ...!

Scandinavians took Kiel, my shipwarf. That's pretty bad, I guess.

The march on Amsterdam is going really slow due to the lack of motorization. I took Luxembourg further south, but that doesn't help me a lot. Plus, Italy did an air raid on Munich, but didn't deal too much damage.

Oh, what am I gonna do ... I'm puzzled ...

Attachments
EDgermany2.jpg
EDgermany2.jpg (108.68 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Round 3; British and Scandinavian air attacks devastated my attack force on Amsterdam (what the ...!?) and my artillery on the interturn, respectively. Then came the French and threw a single light tank at my tank corps with two light tanks and a lot of infantry in the Luxembourg area and - obliterated it. [&:][&:][&:]

I bombed and assaulted Amsterdam, to no avail. The Luxembourg front is a mess. Italy moved tanks over the Alps onto Munich. I lack strength to attack Kiel.

I don't know what to do but cry.

Attachments
EDgermany3.jpg
EDgermany3.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Round 4; now the Balkans step into the fray. They're advancing everywhere, and took Venice from Italy. Scandinavia smashed my tank forces south of Kiel and they're units are crossing the Elbe and are marching on Berlin.

I took Amsterdam this turn, but I think it doesn't matter anymore. The Scandinavians are rolling and I spotted the first Russian units in the far east, marching on Warszaw.

I don't think I have options left. I could pull behind the Rhine, but that would isolate Amsterdam again. Plus, my western front is connected to Berlin through only two vital crossroads, which are both threatened by enemies (Scandinavians and French).

Plus, the French flag faces the wrong way. Yeah, that's why Germany is coming under the wheels here. It confuses me too much!

Attachments
EDgermany4.jpg
EDgermany4.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Round 5; the picture already shows the full extent of my misery. The Balkans invaded Poland. The Russians attacked Warszaw (yet failed). The Scandinavians are one hex away from Berlin.

My turn was almost reduced to reacting. I created the 3rd Army in Warszaw, should it become cut off. But my forces there are pathetic at best. I did some small attacks on the French in the Luxembourg area and blew the bridge over the Rhine on the coastal road to Amsterdam. My biggest success - although unintended - was an air attack on the Scandinavian armour aiming at Berlin. They unexpectedly had 12 fighters intercepting my airforce, but through my first stroke of luck in this game I "only" lost two bombers, while I shot down six of their fighters and killed some infantry.

But that doesn't change that I'm on the losing road...

Attachments
EDgermany5.jpg
EDgermany5.jpg (104.97 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Round 6; more of the same. The French air force is harassing me, destroying three tanks near Stuttgart. The Scandinavians are concentrating on Berlin now.

Attachments
EDgermany6.jpg
EDgermany6.jpg (104.41 KiB) Viewed 38 times
Westheim

Post by Westheim »

Round 7; I lost. Italians encircled Munich out of nothing. Balkans run wild in Poland. The French encircled forces of mine in Luxembourg. The Scandinavians isolated Berlin and smashed the defenses.

Ah. I suck ...[:(]
Joshuatree

Post by Joshuatree »

Hm, you're playing against AI+ right? Seeing that stack of Swedish units in Kiel... that must be the case.
Why don't you give a game aginst multiple AI's a try? Not AI+ or ++, no bonusses for the AI anymore because it outproduces you anytime.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

This could have been interesting, had it been against the AI. Against the AI+ its just suicide...
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280

Return to “After Action Reports”