Spotting ECM Emitters

Harpoon 3 Advanced Naval Warfare is the result of decades of development and fan support, resulting in the most comprehensive, realistic, and accurate simulation of modern combined air and naval operations available to the gaming public. New features include, multiplayer support, third party databases, scenario editors, and OVER 300 pre-built scenarios!

Moderator: Harpoon 3

evaamo2

Spotting ECM Emitters

Post by evaamo2 »

Hi all. I'm using 3.9.4 with latest HUD3.

I've been trying to use ESM-equipped aircraft to help me locate the source of Offensive ECM activity (jamming). Let's say I assign an EA-6B to a "red" side, and set it to perform a support mission and turn on its ECM to active. On "blue" side I have an ESM-capable aircraft, as well as radar stations and an AEW asset. According to the manual, every radar being jammed on "blue" should show an "X" character next to it. This does work. However, again according to the manual, I should also be able to identify the aircraft emitting the OECM; it should show a "Q" character next to it. This won't work for me. The only way I got the game to show me some icon indicating something (wasn't a "Q" char tho), was when I had both the EA-6B with ECM and RADAR set to on, which is not a good thing to do!.

Is there any logical explanation for this? If I have an ESM-capable aircraft (not just RWR), shouldn't it somehow report unusual EW activity, in this case performed by an airborne emitter?

Another question: has the range for visual IDs (in the air and surface) been reduced? It seems it takes something close to a mid-air collision for an aircraft to visual recon another ;-)

thanks for any replies you can provide!
-E
hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: evaamo2

I've been trying to use ESM-equipped aircraft to help me locate the source of Offensive ECM activity (jamming).

[snip]

Is there any logical explanation for this? If I have an ESM-capable aircraft (not just RWR), shouldn't it somehow report unusual EW activity, in this case performed by an airborne emitter?

Another question: has the range for visual IDs (in the air and surface) been reduced? It seems it takes something close to a mid-air collision for an aircraft to visual recon another ;-)
I believe that both of the descriptions are correct because they are the way things used to work in H2/H3 (and still do). I have replicated both behaviors with the PlayersDB (and other databases) and am adding them to AGSI's List of Known ANW Issues.

P.s. Do you only show up to report problems? If so, someone's going to label you a 'troublemaker'. [:D] Keep up the good work!

Return to “Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare”