Is it gamey...

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Tomcat

Is it gamey...

Post by Tomcat »

I recall that many people were upset about the idea that an allied player might choose to remove his units from Burma before the Japanese AI clobbered them and there was much discussion about penalizing a player who chose to do such an awful thing. So, when the Japanese AI (I know, I know, I'm a heretic for not playing PBEM, but..) when the Japanese AI leaves many bases in China, Vietnam, Burma, Java, etc., undefended, or even poorly defended, is this also gamey? Should we spank the AI for this? I've got Chinese troops in several cities in Vietnam now and my Dutch forces on Java are happily recapturing bases the Japanese AI left undefended. Not that I mind, but I'm wondering if this causes people the same level of heartburn that they get when allied players do this.
Buck Beach

RE: Is it gamey...

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: Tomcat

I recall that many people were upset about the idea that an allied player might choose to remove his units from Burma before the Japanese AI clobbered them and there was much discussion about penalizing a player who chose to do such an awful thing. So, when the Japanese AI (I know, I know, I'm a heretic for not playing PBEM, but..) when the Japanese AI leaves many bases in China, Vietnam, Burma, Java, etc., undefended, or even poorly defended, is this also gamey? Should we spank the AI for this? I've got Chinese troops in several cities in Vietnam now and my Dutch forces on Java are happily recapturing bases the Japanese AI left undefended. Not that I mind, but I'm wondering if this causes people the same level of heartburn that they get when allied players do this.

I say do what ever your heart tells you to do and have FUN with this great game. It is meant to be enjoyed,gamey or not and if you are an AI player you are the only one that should care how you play. Go guy!!
Gary D

Post by Gary D »

Tomcat;

I see it the same way Buck does, do what is enjoyable for you at the moment.

My "solution" to the Burma issue was based on how I interpreted one of my last WW2 books on the subject "Defeat Into Victory" by Field Marshal Viscount William Slim. Fine book from a guy who rose from leading a division in Burma during the retreat in 1942 to leading an army during the reconquest in 1945.

General Slim comments in several places how higher commands "failure to give the forces in the field a clear stragegic objective" led to "a rather nebulous, short term idea of holding ground".

He also comments on how the Burmese troops melted away as they returned to their home villages during the Japanese advance. These troops did not retreat with the Army into India in 1942.

So in AE terms I used many of Burmese forces to maintain the garrison requirements and lost them in the process.

The recombined Burma division moved north to the Mandaly area where they could survive a rear guard action into Imphal without the risk of being surrounded. I did not reinforce Burma with the 7th Armoured as was done historically, I started them digging in at Chittagong.

The Chinese forces that fought in Eastern Burma I split and sent half to Mytikina and left half at Lashio. The Northern Forces retreated up to Ledo and the Lashio gang back to China.

Not actually historical and not a total Sir Robin, just what made me happy! :) My style is to try to stick to historical timelines and to give the AI a fighting chance. I don't expect the AI to whip a human player but it is enjoyable to see all the effort the AE team put into the AI and giving it a sporting chance to develop just feels right from my worn out chair next to the computer.

Against a human player my vote in that discussion would be to heck with historic Burmese garrisons when IJA units that historically were sitting in China started rolling up the Irrawaddy! If the Japanese player has that kind of flexibility then the Allied player should not be constrained except by his imagination.

All the best!
jomni

Post by jomni »

It's a game, so there will always be gamey tricks.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

You're the one who has to sleep with it, and it is your enjoyment. 
Pax
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I slept with my ex-wife on many occasions during our marriage and can't say it was that enjoyable. But that's just me!!
stuman

Post by stuman »

Hmm, that applies in a few other situations as well.
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

stuman

Post by stuman »

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

I slept with my ex-wife on many occasions during our marriage and can't say it was that enjoyable. But that's just me!!
[:D]
" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

Skanvak

Post by Skanvak »

Does that mean that if burma is lost there is no penalty for the allied player?

Best regards

Skanvak
Mike Scholl

Post by Mike Scholl »

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

Does that mean that if burma is lost there is no penalty for the allied player?

No. If he loses it, the Japanese side starts accumulating the VP's for holding it.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

If it were a PBEM, could be gamey. The AI...well I've never met an honest AI.[:D]

And honestly I've never met an intelligent AI either for that matter. [8|]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

ORIGINAL: Shark7

If it were a PBEM, could be gamey. The AI...well I've never met an honest AI.[:D]

Now you're going to make me feel really bad if I lose to the AI!
Sonny II

Post by Sonny II »

ORIGINAL: Tomcat

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Now you're going to make me feel really bad if I lose to the AI!

The good thing is when you play the AI nobody knows if it beats you and you don't have to tell anyone.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”