Sluggish Performance

Post bug reports and request technical assistance here.

Moderators: simovitch, warshipbuilder

EagleMountainDK

RE: Sluggish Performance (fixed)

Post by EagleMountainDK »

Thanks for the info JD, I will try to install it on my old dual core amd then just to see the effect.
E

Post by E »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

mainly it is the Quad Cores that has some issues

I have the issues on a dual core. So the problems are not limited to quad cores.
"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

Friends Don't Let Friends Facebook.

Twitter is for... (wait for it!) ...Twits!
Misty99

Post by Misty99 »

I run the old BTR (1.06) on a AMD 5000 Dualcore and a GF 9600GT, WIN XP. Even with a 800x600 resolution it looks good.
But the game runs too fast (time acc. OFF). The flights are zipping over the map (Avalanche scen.) There is no difference between time shift 8x or 1x.
Is it better with the new game?
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

ORIGINAL: E
ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge
mainly it is the Quad Cores that has some issues
I have the issues on a dual core. So the problems are not limited to quad cores.
confirmed, I have the issue on dual core processor too.
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

I have the same performance problem on my quad system. Can't seem to do the affinity fix as it will not redraw the screen after the alt-tab. Know you guys are working the problem. Looking forward to the patch.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

if you have to alt-tab

try hitting esc when you get back in, or move the mouse around and try to get the screen to refresh like that (parts of it will start to show up) and then click on one of the buttons

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: StkNRdr

I have the same performance problem on my quad system. Can't seem to do the affinity fix as it will not redraw the screen after the alt-tab. Know you guys are working the problem. Looking forward to the patch.
Some one on the forums here posted a link to a great little utility that you can use to launch ED BTR - it sets affinity and priority without you having to alt-tab out the game. Not only is it a great wee tool for that, but it speeds up the load time of the game considerably (loading to menu and loading games...quite a speed increase).

Sorry . no idea where the post is...but this link will allow you to download WinlauncherXP and this one for Winlauncher Vista
Alba gu' brath
StkNRdr

Post by StkNRdr »

Thanks Sarge & Dredge,

I used the launch utility and, except for scrolling which is now acceptable, the game screams. No pauses at all. Never saw the loading and initializing bars, it was that quick.

Of course, now I loose my planes faster also. [;)]

Thanks again.
princep01

Post by princep01 »

You know, Sarge, if one has to be a real computer jockey to run a packaged computer game....then the game sucks.

Hope these problems can be fixed. So far, my clunker has only had the "continual hour glass" problem and a crash of sorts that was rescued before any damage was done. As far as AC with the wrong insigna....very funny, but I haven't seen it yet.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

The game doesn't suck...far from it...and you don't need to be a real computer jocky to play it. There are a couple of minor issues...that's how it seems to me. So there's no need to blow the issues out of the water and make them seem more dramatic than they are.

It's absolutely playable 100% as is. a Couple of issues which and being worked on.
Alba gu' brath
apd1004

Post by apd1004 »

I posted to another thread about my issue with sluggish perormance, and I agree Judge - the game is absolutely playable as is. I run it on a Dell XPS M1530 laptop (dual core), and found that it was the "display night" that was making it run like a snail. Once I turned it off, it runs blazing fast now. In fact, I have to turn on "highlght target damage" to get it to slow down enough to scroll to where I can stop it where I want. Didn't have to mess with affinity or priority or anything else. Just turn off night. There are some gameplay issues I'd like to see addressed, but no biggie - every game has that stuff and that's why we have a developer team to make improvements based on suggestions/lessons learned.
apd1004
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

adp1004 - if the mouse scrolling is too fats, you could always do what I do and use the keyboard scroll keys. I find it's easier than using the mouse to chase where I want to be. Again, not a fix, just a workaround to help those little bits of frustration disappear.
Alba gu' brath
utexgrad

Post by utexgrad »

I turn on the "highlight damage" option and that slows scrolling down to a manageable rate for me. Just my .02 workaround.
TechSgt

Post by TechSgt »

Just an FYI post for the powers-that-be

I was getting the "slow scroll with show night on" problem.
When I switch night off, then I get the extremely rapid scrolling problem.

I have two dissmilar graphics cards using NVidia SLI.

I switched to single card mode - using the 9600 only.
Both problems seems to go away, I can have night on AND a playable scroll rate.

I haven't been able to extensively test this setup yet. RL intrudes!

TS
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

I thought that only worked if you had the same card ?

Return to “Tech Support”