PureSim Has Been Acquired

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

puresimmer

PureSim Has Been Acquired

Post by puresimmer »

Last night I completed the negotiations and signed an agreement with Wolverine Studios, who have acquired the exclusive distribution rights to PureSim Baseball moving forward. The initial commercial Wolverine release will be "PureSim Baseball 2" and it will be available on 10/16. I continue to be the lead developer and director of development on the game, and I'll be a technical contributor to many of their other titles. Steven Lucey (CrashDavis) has also agreed to continue to work with me on PureSim, which actually was a critical part of the equation from my perspective.

Some of you may remember that I was once with Wolverine and was to deliver a new Baseball title for them, unfortunately for a number of private/personal/professional reasons I was unable to make that work, so we parted ways amicably. Since I dove back into PureSim earlier this summer and released the free version, things have really taken off with the game and it's features. Adding Steve to the team has been a huge boost as well.

Wolverine President, Gary Gorski had been following the progress with great interest. He was impressed enough with where we had taken PureSim that he made me an offer that I simply could not refuse.

I had two simple requirements in order to close this transaction:

1. Retain the "PureSim" brand/name, thus the Wolverine release is "PureSim Baseball 2"

2. Continue to offer the last official free version of PureSim (1.86) in perpetuity. I think PureSim 1.86 is a very solid game and I did not make it free only to take it down, Gary agreed totally, thus 1.86 will always be there as a great, free offering in the genre. I'd like to also thank Matrix for their support with releasing PureSim 2005 and 2007 and paving the way for the free release.

Moving forward, I am pouring my efforts into "PureSim 2", adding more polish, tweaks and features. Crash and I expect to keep a similar pace with updates moving forward as well. On 10/16 it will be released for purchase at Wolverine. Note, there were a few of you that donated to the PureSim cause over the last few months, you will each receive a free license to "PureSim 2."

Part of my agreement with Wolverine will involve me doing the primary communication with the customers on their forums, so I'll be living on the PureSim 2 Forum at Wolverine. This was actually the hardest part, as I love the small, but passionate community we've built here. I hope some of you will come over and continue to lend your insights into the game.

I'm looking forward to continuing to improve the game with Steve, and I'm excited about having even more resources at hand with Wolverine.

- Shaun

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Orcin

RE: PureSim Has Been Acquired

Post by Orcin »

Congratulations, Shaun! I sincerely hope this goes well for you. Maybe you can quit your day job someday. [;)]

This can only mean good things for the game, and therefore for us. I am looking forward to October 16. It sounds like a pretty short deadline, so I hope you have plenty of coffee on hand (no time to go to the store for more).

I am heading over to register at Wolverine. I know I speak for a lot of us... what will happen to "The Locker"? Will these forums be closed?
rjolley

Post by rjolley »

Congrats Shaun. You've built a great game and I'm sure you will continue to expand it to be even better.

Good luck and see you over on the Wolverine board.
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

Congrats
MizzouRah_slith

Post by MizzouRah_slith »

Congratulations Shaun!

I will be purchasing Puresim 2!!!
Hacko

Post by Hacko »

What is the price going to be when the new retail version comes out?
DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

Hey, Shaun leads and I just follow along. I've played this game to long to loose it now. So I will continue to follow Shaun's lead.

Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

Just wandered over to Wolverine and read through the Forum posts. This is going to be interesting.
Old Dog
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

I've been loyal to Shaun for several years, but this time I've reached my limit. I suppose that 1.87 beta 1 was just a tease, meant to draw us back into a for-pay game. I paid for PS 2005 and I paid for PS 2007. I downloaded each patch along the way, and have offered my input when I thought it was worthwhile.

I have now had enough. The game, as it is, is solid and a worthwhile experience. Unless some earth-shattering breakthrough is made, or if previous PureSim owners get a significant discount, I will NOT purchase the game yet again.
timmermac

Post by timmermac »

For me, it's strictly a can I afford it issue. I simply don't have the money to pay $35 for a game right now. Maybe if/when I get a decent-paying job, I'll buy PureSim 2 or 3 or other future editions, but for right now 1.86 will be the last edition for me. I'll still participate in the community when I have a reason to post.
Hacko

Post by Hacko »

$34.99 is too high a price point for ANY text based simulation. If it is over 20 dollars, i don't buy it.
Baseball Mogul set the price for it's newest game at $29.99, but within a few months reduced it down to $19.99 because people said they were paying for the game every year and getting little in the way of improvements from year to year. Now Puresim may patch the game more than BM, but in the end, it is a text based simulation, not exactly a ground breaking game engine or gameplay.
Old Dog

Post by Old Dog »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

I've been loyal to Shaun for several years, but this time I've reached my limit. I suppose that 1.87 beta 1 was just a tease, meant to draw us back into a for-pay game. I paid for PS 2005 and I paid for PS 2007. I downloaded each patch along the way, and have offered my input when I thought it was worthwhile.

I have now had enough. The game, as it is, is solid and a worthwhile experience. Unless some earth-shattering breakthrough is made, or if previous PureSim owners get a significant discount, I will NOT purchase the game yet again.

I was saddened to see you get upset KG. you've been a stalwart for as long as I have been visiting this forum. Your point, also made by dneely and Wraithchild is certainly valid though.
Old Dog
Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

ORIGINAL: timmermac

For me, it's strictly a can I afford it issue. I simply don't have the money to pay $35 for a game right now. Maybe if/when I get a decent-paying job, I'll buy PureSim 2 or 3 or other future editions, but for right now 1.86 will be the last edition for me. I'll still participate in the community when I have a reason to post.

I'm torn right now because, although I definitely want to support the creative process, $35 is a lot of money for me to pay for something I already have. I wasn't even in a financial situation where I could make a Paypal donation like I wanted, so I already feel like I've dropped the ball, so to speak. I paid only $30 for OOTP X, and that's definitely a much more indepth, complicated game, no disrespect intended to Puresim. It's really going to come down to what my situation is come release date. I don't want to make myself feel like a shit if I can't afford to shell out the money, though.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
MizzouRah_slith

Stay on board KG and the rest, keep playing 1.86 or 1.87 beta and if next year Puresim 3 has enough to warrant your purchase, then do it then.  To me, it sounds like they are trying to market the game to new customers who have never heard of Puresim.

I'll pay just because I haven't played PS in quite some time.
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

Hold it, guys. Let's not compare PS with any other game. That is a non-issue. This is the game I play, and this is the game I love. The issue I have is being asked to pay $35 for a game I've already bought TWICE. I'll be damned if I pay out another $35 for this game. NO game is worth shelling out $100 for, no matter how much one loves it.
MizzouRah_slith

Hold it, guys. Let's not compare PS with any other game. That is a non-issue. This is the game I play, and this is the game I love. The issue I have is being asked to pay $35 for a game I've already bought TWICE. I'll be damned if I pay out another $35 for this game. NO game is worth shelling out $100 for, no matter how much one loves it.

I see your point and hope you get a big discount.. if not, keep playing 1.86 and offering your suggestions for PS3 next year.
DonBraswell

Post by DonBraswell »

I will continue to show up here, read the new post and post a comment from time to time as before. I'll watch Wolverine and keep track of PureSim's progress. If some thing peaks my interest I may buy a new version. I'm going to wait and just see what happens. I have supported Shaun since the prealpha days. I don't see that changing in the near future.
Don Braswell

PureSim Old Timer
GNDN

Post by GNDN »

For what it is worth, this is my two cents (or is that 1.5 cents in today's economy?):

For me, the money is not the issue. As much love as there is for the game by both creator and users, this is still a business and I can respect that. I will just use the criteria I use for other game purchases - try to make an educated decision based information available (reviews, demos, etc).

Besides, software game companies have been charging for additional content for years, this is not exactly new ground broken.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues....
rich12545

Post by rich12545 »

I might buy the new game IF it's playable full screen at 1280x1024.  Otherwise I'll keep playing my OOTP9 and sometimes PureSim 2007.
Gary Gorski

Post by Gary Gorski »

I felt I should wander over here and try to clear up a few things ...

1.87 beta 1 or whatever was not a tease or meant to do anything. Shaun had no ulterior motive here - we at Wolverine wanted a baseball game under our umbrella and with my past working relationship with Shaun and the respect for his work and his game that I have, PureSim was the game I wanted to acquire. Make no mistake - we approached Shaun - he did not spend the summer doing free updates simply to tease you into having to purchase something else. You don't have to purchase anything you don't want to. You can play the free version of PureSim as long as you like and you're welcomed to discuss the game or post your dynasty reports in our forums no matter what version of PureSim you are using.

Return to “PureSim Baseball”