AI?

PureSim Baseball is the ultimate baseball fan's toy, with support for both casual and hardcore baseball fans.

Moderator: puresimmer

puresimmer

AI?

Post by puresimmer »

So is the 1.86 AI kicking all you A$$es?

Hope I didn't make it too good :)

Developer, PureSim Baseball
Orcin

RE: AI?

Post by Orcin »

Shaun,

I just ran a draft using 1.86 and I really see no difference. I will post more details later this afternoon, but the AI still took scrubs over all-stars available with money to spend. This is a historical association started in 1946 with finances on. It is not a new association (I am in year 4), so maybe that matters.

Please check my 1946 St. Louis Cardinals thread in The Locker later today for more details on this draft. In summary though, I took Smoky Burgess in round 3, Bobby Shantz in round 4, and Gus Zernial in round 5, all after the affinity teams for these players had already taken scrubs. I could have taken Don Newcombe away from Brooklyn who drafted scrubs in round 2-4, but I left him because I was determined he would end up on Brooklyn. The Dodgers finally did take him in round 5, but he clearly should have been taken in round 1 or 2.

One thing I did notice that was new for me anyway, and that I like, is that the free agents all dropped their salary demands dramatically in week 5-7 of the f/a signing period rather than remain unsigned. Of course, the AI still didn't sign any of them but I did. [:D]

I want to make it clear that I am not complaining. I love this game, and I am having a real blast playing this association. Absolutely the most fun that I've had with a baseball game since I first got Earl Weaver Baseball. I am merely reporting what is happening, because you asked and because I have fresh information to give. Personally, I have no problem putting my own rules into the game to keep balance, and some people may like the fact that they can draft an all-star or two unopposed. I am not really sure this is something that you want to further "fix", but I pass it along anyway.

Did you make it too good? No. Is it just right? Maybe...

puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: Orcin

Shaun,

I just ran a draft using 1.86 and I really see no difference. I will post more details later this afternoon, but the AI still took scrubs over all-stars available with money to spend. This is a historical association started in 1946 with finances on. It is not a new association (I am in year 4), so maybe that matters.

Please check my 1946 St. Louis Cardinals thread in The Locker later today for more details on this draft. In summary though, I took Smoky Burgess in round 3, Bobby Shantz in round 4, and Gus Zernial in round 5, all after the affinity teams for these players had already taken scrubs. I could have taken Don Newcombe away from Brooklyn who drafted scrubs in round 2-4, but I left him because I was determined he would end up on Brooklyn. The Dodgers finally did take him in round 5, but he clearly should have been taken in round 1 or 2.

One thing I did notice that was new for me anyway, and that I like, is that the free agents all dropped their salary demands dramatically in week 5-7 of the f/a signing period rather than remain unsigned. Of course, the AI still didn't sign any of them but I did. [:D]

I want to make it clear that I am not complaining. I love this game, and I am having a real blast playing this association. Absolutely the most fun that I've had with a baseball game since I first got Earl Weaver Baseball. I am merely reporting what is happening, because you asked and because I have fresh information to give. Personally, I have no problem putting my own rules into the game to keep balance, and some people may like the fact that they can draft an all-star or two unopposed. I am not really sure this is something that you want to further "fix", but I pass it along anyway.

Did you make it too good? No. Is it just right? Maybe...

I will look into this ASAP as I thought I had the last of these issues wrung out. Thanks for the info.
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

Ocrin,

What exact params should I use to create the assn, includign # of teams, start year, were real players used to seed the draft pool etc..
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

Ocrin, are these your settings? And your comments are regarding the ammy draft right?

Real Major League Players - Career Mode
Use Finances (start at default 1% scale)
40 Player Organization Roster
Injuries Can Occur (YES)
Allow Computer AI Trades (YES)
Association Expansion Possible (YES)
Player/Team Affinity (YES)
Player Ratings Change In Season (YES)
Import Players Prior To Their MLB Debut (NO)
5-Man Rotations
Modern Closer Usage
Import Player Historical Stats (YES)
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

The AI can never be TOO good, unless it resorts to cheats. What I'm seeing so far is better roster management, as players are being rested when necessary. I may be just seeing things, but somehow the AI in-game manager seems sharper. It knows when to call for the sac bunt, steal and hit & run. As for the AI defense, I must be VERY careful on when to call for a stolen base, as the AI is good in knowing when to call for a pitchout.

I love it. It isn't supposed to be easy. PS is the game I wished for when I was shuffling APBA player cards, consulting play-result boards and rolling dice back in the pre-PC dark age of the 1970s. The younger guys have no clue on how unwieldy all this stuff was. Plus, to compile stats, it was all done by hand.
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

ORIGINAL: puresimmer

Ocrin, are these your settings? And your comments are regarding the ammy draft right?

Yes, this is it. This latest draft was run this morning using 1.86. I will post the comments in that thread right away because I just finished them. You will have to read through a bunch of extra "stuff" to get to the meat. [8|]

rjolley

Post by rjolley »

One thing I noticed in my last league was the AI seemed to take any player that was on that team in real life instead of taking the best player available from the team. As I've watched the draft in that league, every team took a player that was on the team in real life, but not necessarily the best rated player. That's how, in the last draft, the Mets (around #10) skipped on Strawberry and no one else picked him up. They did pick a Met, but he wasn't rated as well. When does the computer start going against affinity and pick good players over poorly rated players that played for them?

Also, I've noticed that some decent pros are being imported with minimal ratings. I think that was mentioned in another thread. For example, Brook Jacoby, who was a good player, imported with 5's for CH, PH, and EY, but had very good fielding ratings,.

Edit: Made some changes as I had the wrong idea of affinity.
MizzouRah_slith

Post by MizzouRah_slith »

Well, I just traded Jack Wilson to the Mets for a prospect and now Reyes is sitting. [:'(]
puresimmer

Post by puresimmer »

ORIGINAL: Orcin

Yes, this is it. This latest draft was run this morning using 1.86. I will post the comments in that thread right away because I just finished them. You will have to read through a bunch of extra "stuff" to get to the meat. [8|]

Try creating the assn next time with a financial modifier of like 1.25% instead of 1%, I think this is related to financial constraints.
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

Try creating the assn next time with a financial modifier of like 1.25% instead of 1%, I think this is related to financial constraints.

Can I increase the modifier now, or is that only possible when the association is created?

By the way, I did not set it at 1%. I used the default setting and just wrote down what it said in my notes.

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

ORIGINAL: rjolley

One thing I noticed in my last league was the AI seemed to take any player that was on that team in real life instead of taking the best player available from the team.

I noticed that, too. I'm chalking it up to Team Affinity, which is ok with me.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

Here's another strange behavior from the AI. I see this on several teams but it is usually associated with older pitchers. This one can't be explained that way because Johnny Schmitz is only 26-29 years old during this 4-year period..

As you can see, Johnny has pitched pretty well. In real life, he was clearly the best pitcher on his team (Cubs) during the time period.

The AI obviously doesn't like him very much because he leaves him stuck in AAA. Ok, fine.

So why does the AI keep renewing his contract for huge dollars? This salary makes him the 11th highest-paid player in my association.

I don't think this can be explained by "financial constraints". If the AI were feeling financially constrained, the easiest solution would be to stop paying this "AAA pitcher" the largest salary on the team.

I would expect the AI to either use the player at the major league level or let the contract expire.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

What is Schmitz' POT level? Perhaps the AI is trying to "peak out" this guy before sending him back to the majors?

A good feature I've noticed is that after I've pulled off a trade, the AI does make adjustments through call-ups to maintain a balanced roster. Furthermore, I've determined that to achieve some sort of historicity, finances do NOT belong in pre-1977 associations. Sure, it's fun to introduce finances into the reserve clause era, but you guarantee ahistoric results. In other words, don't start complaining if the stats turn out drastically different from real life. This is NOT directed towards you, Orcin. I fully realize that "Trader KG" is DELIBERATELY attempting to rewrite history, but the ORIGINAL historical template is as accurate as possible.
Orcin

Post by Orcin »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

What is Schmitz' POT level? Perhaps the AI is trying to "peak out" this guy before sending him back to the majors?

Interesting thought, KG. Here are the current ratings for Schmitz. It may be as you suggest. But you would think if the AI is trying to develop the player, then he would sign the player to a longer contract than one year.

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin
In other words, don't start complaining if the stats turn out drastically different from real life. This is NOT directed towards you, Orcin. I fully realize that "Trader KG" is DELIBERATELY attempting to rewrite history, but the ORIGINAL historical template is as accurate as possible.

I understand, and I can't really comment on how the AI manages its roster with finances off because I have never played without them. Personally, I am more just trying to give Shaun the benefit of my "testing" rather than complain about it. It's fine with me if the Cubs keep Schmitz in AAA. I don't have to face him. More championships for the Cardinals. [8D]

Orcin

Post by Orcin »

Anyone have an idea as to why the AI demoted this pitcher after five excellent starts? His career is far from over at age 32, and he has the best stats on his team so far.

Wrathchild

Post by Wrathchild »

I really think the Potential is playing a big role somehow. I am seeing this type of thing all over the place. Players are still being dropped and/or demoted after years of service and with a lot of life left in them. I don't see the logic in it.
J.G. Wrathchild, Manager, St. Louis Cardinals (1900-1906), Brooklyn Superbas (1907, 1908)

Return to “PureSim Baseball”