AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues [OUTDATED]

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

erstad

RE: AE Air Issues and Air OOB Issues

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez
Now a very stupid question: How do you guys manage to get these quotes in such a nice white rectangle?
AvG

If you just want to quote part of a post, highlight the text, copy it to the clipboard and select reply. The highlighted text will apear in a quote box in the new posting.

Chez

Even easier - just highlight and hit "reply". No need to copy to clipboard (at least for me)
AvG

Post by AvG »

Even easier - just highlight and hit "reply". No need to copy to clipboard (at least for me)

Will it work??

Check via preview.

And yes, it works. Even for me.
Thanks a lot.

AvG
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

You can also click on the 'quote' button in the row of buttons above the text box when you are typing in your message. This is useful when you paste information that you want to be set off if the white background quote-box.
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

v1084 - Unit 4293 - 34th BG / HQ Sqn - This unit has no W/D requirement.
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
drw61

Post by drw61 »

On the Air Unit Information screen just above the commander is a listing of major skills such as Air, Defense, Strafing... It looks to me that these are the air commander skills and that it is always "None" unless the commander is also one of the pilots. Is this correct or will the major skills eventually fill in for all commanders? Also, in what ways do these skills help the air unit?
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Wrong thread, deleted.
guctony

Post by guctony »

Simple question

I started a new PBEM second Scenario . Something confuses me while I try to plan a radical change in figter production. I am not sure to invest heavily on N1K1 -George. It seem a good plane but how about how many air groups I can convert to N1K1 if I spend alot of R&D for it .
On Air group reinforcement screen there is four group. Where can find that how many air groups will I be able to convert.

I cannot find it in Witpstaff or in scenario editor.

Attachments
N1K1reinforcement.jpg
N1K1reinforcement.jpg (308.86 KiB) Viewed 368 times
"Unless a nation's life faces peril, war is murder."
"Sovereignty is not given, it is taken."
"After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."
Mustafa Kemal
n01487477

Post by n01487477 »

Simple question

I started a new PBEM second Scenario . Something confuses me while I try to plan a radical change in figter production. I am not sure to invest heavily on N1K1 -George. It seem a good plane but how about how many air groups I can convert to N1K1 if I spend alot of R&D for it .
On Air group reinforcement screen there is four group. Where can find that how many air groups will I be able to convert.

I cannot find it in Witpstaff or in scenario editor.
Sorry for the spam in this thread ** cough *** WitpTracker-AE -- ahows direct upgrades with PDU OFF and also calculates those that are allowed with PDU ON.

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Montbrun

Post by Montbrun »

There appears to be 2 x WCDR R.N. Batesons...

Attachments
RNBateson.jpg
RNBateson.jpg (118.81 KiB) Viewed 368 times
WitE Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE Research Team
WitE2.0 Alpha/Beta Tester
WitE2.0 Research Team
WitW Alpha/Beta Tester
WitW Research Team
Piercing Fortress Europa Research Team
Desert War 1940-1942 Alpha/Beta Tester
Pascal_slith

Post by Pascal_slith »

No RNZAF Hudsons were on Fiji at the beginning of the war.

Here is the quote from the Official History:

"On the day Japan entered the war, the RNZAF's first-line aircraft comprised 36 Hudsons, 35 Vincents, and 2 Singapore flying boats. Of these, six Vincents and the Singapores were in Fiji. Second-line aircraft, mostly used by the training organisation and available for operational use in emergency, comprised the following:

62 Harvards
46 Hinds
143 Oxfords
26 Vildebeestes
30 Gordons
13 Vincents
221 Tiger Moths
7 Multi-engined civil types (including 3 in Fiji)
20 Miscellaneous light aircraft (including 1 in Fiji)
1 Walrus amphibian

Personnel strength on the same date was 10,500 in New Zealand and 450 in Fiji."

Later in the Chapter there is a situation for 20 February 1942. I quote:

"On 20 February the operational strength of the RNZAF was: No. 1 GR Squadron stationed at Whenuapai, with 8 + 4 Hudsons;1 No. 2 GR Squadron at Nelson with 8 + 3 Hudsons; No. 3 GR Squadron at Harewood with 10 + 5 Vincents; No. 7 GR Squadron, which had recently been formed at Waipapakauri, with 12 + 6 Vincents; No. 4 GR Squadron at Nandi, Fiji, with 6 + 3 Hudsons; No. 5 Squadron, also in Fiji, with 4 + 2 Vincents. In addition No. 5 Squadron had three of the Short Singapore flying boats which had been flown out from Malaya at the end of 1941.2 These were old and in poor condition, but could be used for operations if required. This gave a total first-line aircraft strength of 32 Hudsons and 39 Vincents.

The training organisation had the following second-line aircraft which could be available in case of emergency: 4 Vincents, 61 Oxfords, 45 Harvards, 9 Fairey Gordons and 15 Hawker Hinds, giving a total of 134."

The Hudsons were sent to Fiji in early February.

"The most vital link in the defensive chain was Fiji. If the enemy established himself there he could dominate the whole of the South Pacific and would be in a position to launch an attack against New Zealand. New Zealand had done what it could to reinforce the colony by sending all its anti-aircraft artillery and a fair proportion of the available Hudsons, but the defences in the first few weeks of 1942 were much too weak to withstand a major attack.

Early in February a detachment of six Hudsons from No. 2 Squadron was sent to Fiji temporarily to strengthen the air defences in the face of what appeared to be an imminent threat of attack. They arrived on 11 February and were attached to No. 4 Squadron at Nandi."

URL: http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2AirF-c9.html and http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2AirF-c10.html

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

faraonej

Post by faraonej »

OK, I've noticed that the Wirraway is now classified as a LB vice FB as it was in WITP...  This leaves the Aussies without ANY fightersupport whatsoever until the Boomerang shows up...

Was this the error I believe it to be, or do I need to be enlightened?  (I did find the editor, thanks!)

Luv the game so far -- cheers,
JF
TheElf

Post by TheElf »

ORIGINAL: faraonej

OK, I've noticed that the Wirraway is now classified as a LB vice FB as it was in WITP...  This leaves the Aussies without ANY fightersupport whatsoever until the Boomerang shows up...

Was this the error I believe it to be, or do I need to be enlightened?  (I did find the editor, thanks!)

JF
Not an error.
IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

faraonej

Post by faraonej »

OK... so lacking enlightenment, I sought my own...

"opondetta, Papua, 1942-12-12. Two RAAF Wirraway aircraft stand on the grass shortly after landing close together at Popondetta airstrip. Before Wirraway A2-103 (left) had come to a complete stop, its pilot, Pilot Officer (PO) J. S. Archer, had leapt from the aircraft and run across to the Control Tent where he had found the Control Officer talking to NX34655 Captain Alan Oliver Watson, Dental Officer with the 2/4th Field Ambulance. Puffing hard, PO Archer exclaimed excitedly, 'Sir, sir, I think I've shot down a Zero!' To this the Control Officer replied, 'Don't be silly, Archer, Wirraways can't shoot down Zeros.' 'Well, sir,' continued Archer, 'I went in to look at the wreck off Gona and I saw this thing in front of me and it had red spots on it, so I gave it a burst and it appeared to fall into the sea.' Within a few minutes, a dozen telephone calls from observers all around the Gona area confirmed Archer's story. While on a tactical reconnaissance mission over the Japanese ship wrecked in the sea off Gona, Archer and his observer, Sergeant J.F. Coulston, had sighted the Zero 1,000 feet below. After diving on the Japanese aircraft, they had fired a long burst into it with the Wirraway's two Vickers .303 machine guns, causing the Zero to crash into the sea. Archer was later awarded the DFC for his exploit. (Donor A. Watson)"  from http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-air ... rraway.htm

and

[center]Image
[font="arial"](Photo source unknown. Please contact us if you deserve credit.)[/font][/center] [left][font="arial"]History: Although the Wirraway (an Aboriginal word meaning "Challenger") was designated as the Royal Australian Air Force’s (RAAF) advanced trainer during World War Two, its usefulness as a makeshift frontline fighter was secured on 26 December 1942 when a converted example shot down a Japanese navy A6M 'Zero-Sen' fighter. Wirraways saw convoy duty from Darwin, in Malaya, New Britain and New Guinea until mid-1943.
[/font][/left][left]
[/left][left]from http://www.warbirdalley.com/wirraway.htm[/left][left]
[/left][left]
[/left][left]Rapidly becoming a Wirraway Fanboy,[/left][left]
[/left][left]JF[/left][left]
[/left][left]PS -- "Get outta the CATWALK!!!!!"
[/left][left][font="arial"]
[/font][/left]
sspahr

Post by sspahr »

The USAAF has several fighters/fighter-bombersequipped with cameras fro tac recon work (the F-6D, P-39N2, etc.) but they show up as fighter or fighter-bomber units in the game, so they don't have a recon mission option.  Does the camera actually do any good for raising detection levels if they're flying non-recon missions?
sspahr

Post by sspahr »

ORIGINAL: faraonej

JF

The Aussies get three squadrons of P-40s and three of Spitfires in 1942 before the Boomerang starts to arrive. The Boomerang was actually used as a FAC and close air support aircraft, rather than as a fighter
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: sspahr

The USAAF has several fighters/fighter-bombersequipped with cameras fro tac recon work (the F-6D, P-39N2, etc.) but they show up as fighter or fighter-bomber units in the game, so they don't have a recon mission option.  Does the camera actually do any good for raising detection levels if they're flying non-recon missions?

I had the same problem and got answers to it in an earlier thread. The deal is this: the code is written so that if the camera device has an effect > 0 then the air unit will have a Recon mission option. In the original release the cameras in those fighters and fighter-bombers had effect = 0. This was fixed in the patch.

If you install the patch and upgrade the data stuff when you then load your save game it should fix the problem. It did for me.
sspahr

Post by sspahr »

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I had the same problem and got answers to it in an earlier thread. The deal is this: the code is written so that if the camera device has an effect > 0 then the air unit will have a Recon mission option. In the original release the cameras in those fighters and fighter-bombers had effect = 0. This was fixed in the patch.

If you install the patch and upgrade the data stuff when you then load your save game it should fix the problem. It did for me.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

When an airgroup upgrades to a different plane type, are all the old planes suppose to return to the pool?

I have noticed a number of times where they do not - but not always. At first I thought it might be a supply issue similar to being able to disband a unit an have the planes return to the pool. But I just upgraded a Marine VMSB unit from one type of dive bomber to another and the old type *did not* return to the pool. The unit was at San Diego with over 100k supplies.

So is this intended? Do they show up later? Or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance.

Chad
erstad

Post by erstad »

ORIGINAL: Chad Harrison

I have noticed a number of times where they do not - but not always. At first I thought it might be a supply issue similar to being able to disband a unit an have the planes return to the pool. But I just upgraded a Marine VMSB unit from one type of dive bomber to another and the old type *did not* return to the pool. The unit was at San Diego with over 100k supplies.

Chad

There can be a delay.
Chad Harrison

Post by Chad Harrison »

ORIGINAL: erstad

There can be a delay.

Variable upon . . . ? But should they all arrive? Reason I ask is I want to double check in my game that its WAD.

Thanks for the reply.

Chad

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”