Plane Icons?

Eagle Day to Bombing of the Reich is a improved and enhanced edition of Talonsoft's older Battle of Britain and Bombing the Reich. This updated version represents the best simulation of the air war over Britain and the strategic bombing campaign over Europe that has ever been made.

Moderators: Joel Billings, harley, warshipbuilder, simovitch

Toby42

Plane Icons?

Post by Toby42 »

I downloaded the game and installed it. So far it looks like the only problem is the spinning cursor, which is fixed by saving the game. But are there supposed to be icons of planes on the map? I just was playing around with the one day BOB scenario and I didn't see any units on the map???
Tony
Hard Sarge

RE: Plane Icons?

Post by Hard Sarge »

some computers don't clean there buffers too good (old windows issue)

it sounds like you were in the BTR side and then went to the BoB side, since it looks like you may have the buffer cleaning thing, you should exit the game and restart, if you want to go from one side to the other

I know it is a pain in the butt, but not every computer does this, but some do, mine, I can go back and forth all day long and no hassle

if that is not the case, try again, if you still don't have plane Icons, something may be wrong with the download (IE, you did not turn on the box/line on the right hand side ?) are aircraft flying ?

Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

some computers don't clean there buffers too good (old windows issue)

it sounds like you were in the BTR side and then went to the BoB side, since it looks like you may have the buffer cleaning thing, you should exit the game and restart, if you want to go from one side to the other

I know it is a pain in the butt, but not every computer does this, but some do, mine, I can go back and forth all day long and no hassle

if that is not the case, try again, if you still don't have plane Icons, something may be wrong with the download (IE, you did not turn on the box/line on the right hand side ?) are aircraft flying ?

Well, let me fire it up again and take another look. Is it supposed to show plane icons when any are in the air???
Tony
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

here is what it should look like with planes in the air, with plane art on

Attachments
planewithoutline.jpg
planewithoutline.jpg (140.44 KiB) Viewed 75 times
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

and same shot, with the box/line turned on

Attachments
planewithline.jpg
planewithline.jpg (129.1 KiB) Viewed 76 times
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

I fired it up again and played the one day scenario and planes appeared!!! Thanks... Now to do some reading [8|]
Tony
MajorDude

Post by MajorDude »

So, to get the plane icons you have to click/sacrifice the 'plotter' lines button?
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Plane Icons have disappeared again and I can't get them back???? I even re-booted the computer, but no go!! Everything works fine. No slow down just the forever hour glass and disappearing planes. I know that they are there because when I enable the box/line, there they are. With the box/line turned off, all I get are the battle reports....
Tony
AttuWatcher

Post by AttuWatcher »

ORIGINAL: Treale

Plane Icons have disappeared again and I can't get them back???? I even re-booted the computer, but no go!! Everything works fine. No slow down just the forever hour glass and disappearing planes. I know that they are there because when I enable the box/line, there they are. With the box/line turned off, all I get are the battle reports....

I've been having this problem too and it seems very random. I prefer using the box/lines though so it doesn't bother me too much.
otisabuser2

Post by otisabuser2 »

Just to be clear, if you have the plane icons enabled you will not automatically see plane icons.

There is rightly a Fog of War system to prevent you knowing what types of aircraft are coming. So attacking bombers and fighters approaching the Reich do not get the appropriate plane icons until they have been identified. Until then they will all show as an orange box with RAF/USAAF markings on it.

Once you intercept the raid or have it identified by a ground target ( ie flak fires at it ) do you then get the B17G or Typhoon picture, etc for that raid and the stragglers from it.

With icons enabled your defending planes should always be shown as plane pictures.
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

So, the only way that you enable icons is to toggle the box/line switch off or on??? It's either box/line or icons?
Tony
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

First off in the Options, you have to set Roundels to OFF. This will give you plane icons. Then when you are in game, you can toggle between plane icons and box/lines.

It could be to do with memory. Perhaps the icons use a fair bit. I know my game plays alot faster with roundels as opposed to plane icons.

The fact that you're getting nothing except reports would suggest an issue...unless you have no planes in the area
Alba gu' brath
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

First off in the Options, you have to set Roundels to OFF. This will give you plane icons. Then when you are in game, you can toggle between plane icons and box/lines.

It could be to do with memory. Perhaps the icons use a fair bit. I know my game plays alot faster with roundels as opposed to plane icons.

The fact that you're getting nothing except reports would suggest an issue...unless you have no planes in the area

Thanks JD. I think that I have Roundels set to on. I'll play around with the options...
Tony
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Well JD, that seems to be the fix! Roundels on, no planes. Roundels off, planes appear. I do like the roundels or the box/lines better than the icons. The planes really clutter the map.
Tony
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

I prefer planes because you can see at a glance what unit is what (although not when it gets very busy)...but roundels are better for performance and less clutter. I would've loved to have seen much smaller icons. I wonder if it can be modded...HS?
Alba gu' brath
patchogue

Post by patchogue »

I agree on the plane icon size - My entire district disappears under a Spitfire - yet when the Battle of Britain flight go past it hardly gets gloomy at all!
"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham
Hard Sarge

Post by Hard Sarge »

that is a limit based on the size of the art, if we can get 180*180, then the detail is good enough that the icon can be scaled

but I think we will be at the mercy of the kind hearted Modders and artists
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

How would one make an art mod? Are the plane icons bitmaps? If so, is it a case of creating a smaller one and replacing the original (with backup of course!)?
Alba gu' brath
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

that is a limit based on the size of the art, if we can get 180*180, then the detail is good enough that the icon can be scaled

but I think we will be at the mercy of the kind hearted Modders and artists

Something is in the works. First is going to be large scale stuff, then something with smaller fighters will follow later [:)]

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 85 times
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

How would one make an art mod? Are the plane icons bitmaps? If so, is it a case of creating a smaller one and replacing the original (with backup of course!)?

In simple terms yes. It gets a bit more complex when you factor in the pink mask version. These need to line up exactly, and the 45 degree version can't just be the normal pic rotated as it mixes up the edge pixels and causes pink smudges everywhere. Practice is the best way to do it [;)]
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig

Return to “Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich”